Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Ummm... also not an Airstream?

Hello from a newly minted member. I have a confession to make before I get settled in... my trailer is Not an Airstream. I inherited my Dad's 1950 Spartan Royal Manor 33ft and I am in the process of educating myself about it. I plan to move it from my parents part of the world (Salem, Oregon) back to Texas which is where I live.

While, Not an Airstream, it is My trailer. I have loads of happy childhood memories in it, and it connects me to my now-weakening 87 year old Dad. He bought in new as a returning GI and it was a big part of his life. It was 20 years old when I was born, but still the apple of his eye. It has been well cared for.

So, from what I am understanding, I am not eligible to join the WBCCI because I don't own an Airstream? Am I welcome at rallies? Is this community inclusive of all travel trailers, or just Airstream? I can handle differing opinions, but I would kinda like a handle on the culture and what to expect.

Thanks for your input...

Alex
Antaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums. While this site is primarily intended for Airstreams and Airstream products, we all love aluminum of any make. Congratulations on keeping your dad's legacy alive and in the family.

You are correct that you would not be eligible for membership in WBCCI, however, as far as I know, none of the forum rallies would turn you away. One of the charter members here organizes a rally twice a year in the north Georgia area and there are usually at least one Spartan that attends almost every year. This particular attendee has an Airstream and often brings it and other vintage brands for members of his family. We also have an attendee that brings his Shasta and one that has brought his Avion. So you should find that you would be welcomed at any of the forum rallies. You might want to ask before you commit to attending one of the Texas area rallies just to make sure. I can't speak for them, but I would hate for you to arrive and find that they give you the cold shoulder. Something I can't imagine happening at a forums rally.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Alex. Welcome to AIR Forums!

AIR Forums is unaffiliated with either Airstream corporate or the WBCCI. We do have plenty of input from both these groups. Quite a few members with different vintage trailers or no trailers at all participate at AIR Forums. You would certainly be welcome to attend any AIR Forum rallies on our rally calendar that are convenient to you. No doubt you would find a lot of attention to such a classic long long trailer!

I'd hope all would get a warm reception even if there was little aluminum on their trailer. We have a subforum set aside for posting from about our Vintage Kin. We've found that there is a lot in common about systems or modernizing on these old units.

Please come back often. Pictures would be so very much more than we deserve ....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Welcome to the Forums.... You will find a wealth of knowledge and expertise here, just for the asking. We are also proud owners of a Spartan trailer. You can see pics of our trailer here.... 1952 Royal Spartanette 35ft Can't wait to see pictures of your family heirloom....
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaylor View Post

So, from what I am understanding, I am not eligible to join the WBCCI because I don't own an Airstream? Am I welcome at rallies? Is this community inclusive of all travel trailers, or just Airstream?
If you do not own an Airstream or Argosy product, you will not be allowed to join WBCCI. If you are not a member of WBCCI, you cannot attend one of their rallies.
You CAN attend an AIR forums rally, all you need is a forum user handle and something to camp in. I've seen forum rally attendees with nothing but a silver tent, and everybody had a blast.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Shucks. Thanks so much for the welcome. I think this will be a wonderful resource... thanks for pointing me at the Vintage folks, too. And, BTW, if I was buying a trailer, it would totally be an Airstream. The rivits, baby. The rivits. Sigh. Well, from what I understand they are a little like potato chips- can't have just one....so, maybe this is just the first of beavy of beauties.

Gypsygirl, you are just too fabulous. I actually printed your thread/ pictures out for my inspiration book. Great tip on the Murphy's Oil.

Be patient on pictures. I am trying to round some up. I am also planning a trip next month to scope everything out and assess the current condition. (Um, also to learn how to drive it, truth be told....) Anyway, I will keep ya'll posted on how this unfolds.

I really started this as a way to get to spend quality time with my Dad. The idea had been brewing for years, but the timing became right. It is surprising how much fun I am having and I just got started... new chapter for me.
Antaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Alex, You've found a group of "aluminum afflicted" people on this forum. We buy trailers, motorhomes, vintage kin (Avion, Silver Streak, Streamline, Spartan) fix them, restore them, polish them, and most of all, travel with them. No matter if it's fully functional or just a tent on wheels, the people you will meet while at a forums rally are wonderful. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Spartan.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Welcome Alex
I think U will find that Airforums members are just campers at heart and all have the diease, What someone called the "Aluminum Affliction" . Last yr was our first yr with our airstream. We made it too several Rallys that there were SOB's{some other brand} motorhomes and trailer and popups, and even tents,,When it came time to eat what U were camped in didnt make a difference. So U can see I hope that AIRFORUMS people are the best. Congrats on keeping your childhood memories alive.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Alex,

You've inherited a special pull...It's a classic and it contains all those great memories. Don't worry about WBCCI...You have us until you pick up that vintage Airstream in a few years. Yes, you're likely to become infected with a non-cureable case of "But Honey it followed me home! disease.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Alex

So tell us the stories - we love to hear them - where did you all travel with it, what did you dad pull it with etc etc etc....

Yes we get very excited about Aluminum and particularly about orginal owner aluminum...

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Alex....a Spartan is, indeed, a very unique trailer to have and you are blessed. I would love to have one also.

Please share pics as soon as you can.....inside and out.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Talking

Quote:
Hello from a newly minted member. I have a confession to make before I get settled in... my trailer is Not an Airstream. I inherited my Dad's 1950 Spartan Royal Manor 33ft and I am in the process of educating myself about it. I plan to move it from my parents part of the world (Salem, Oregon) back to Texas which is where I live.

While, Not an Airstream, it is My trailer. I have loads of happy childhood memories in it, and it connects me to my now-weakening 87 year old Dad. He bought in new as a returning GI and it was a big part of his life. It was 20 years old when I was born, but still the apple of his eye. It has been well cared for.

So, from what I am understanding, I am not eligible to join the WBCCI because I don't own an Airstream? Am I welcome at rallies? Is this community inclusive of all travel trailers, or just Airstream? I can handle differing opinions, but I would kinda like a handle on the culture and what to expect.

Thanks for your input...

Alex

Check out the Dogwoods and Bluegrass Rally coming up in April in Kentucky. I would love to see your camper there.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Check our your local WBCCI unit. They may have Buddy Rallies where you can bring your trailer.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love spartans, if I ever saw one for sale in nice condition it would be hard to pass up! Having one that has been in your family since new is just too much. I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about it. Welcome!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Alex,

Welcome to the forums. It seems you are certifiably (sp) addicted to aluminum. It will be interesting to see how large your herd grows over the years.

We all have the disease and no one wants a cure. Enjoy your time with your father developing many more wonderfull memories. They will forever be with you.

Marie
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Alex, Welcome Aboard!!

As other's have said you don't need a Beret around here. Just a willingness to have fun with aluminum.
It's great to have a trailer with so much Family history. Looking forward to the photo's.

Here's one that needs a good home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOST IN THE ADIRONDACKS.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	74069  
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Alex -- Glad we could be an inspiration to you. We found much help and inspiration here on airforums ! ! Good luck with your beauty, and keep us posted.
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
rally

Quote:

Thanks for your input...

Alex
Welcome Alex

Just to let you know there are many types of rallies for all kinds of trailers. True, the WBCCI club is Airstream only but buddy rallies allow non members with whatever they own to attend. and as already mentioned, there are forums, Tin Can Tourist, Vintage Jam, Craig Dorsey's Vintage Vacations Rally and I'm sure some others.

Here are a few photos of trailers at the first Vintage Jam in Saratoga Springs, NY last summer. And a few more of a local Spartan collector.

Sounds like you will be an Airstream owner soon anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jam 146.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	74086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jam 150.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	74087  

Name:	spartans 005 [800x600].JPG
Views:	132
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	74088   Click image for larger version

Name:	spartans 010 [800x600].JPG
Views:	124
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	74089  

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Quote:

Thanks for your input...

Alex
You will always be welcome at rallies we love to see old trailers! Many streamers enjoy other vintage trailers and even own some.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Welcome Alex

Just to let you know there are many types of rallies for all kinds of trailers. True, the WBCCI club is Airstream only but buddy rallies allow non members with whatever they own to attend. and as already mentioned, there are forums, Tin Can Tourist, Vintage Jam, Craig Dorsey's Vintage Vacations Rally and I'm sure some others.

Here are a few photos of trailers at the first Vintage Jam in Saratoga Springs, NY last summer. And a few more of a local Spartan collector.

Sounds like you will be an Airstream owner soon anyway.
AnTaylor, seems like you got a great welcome.

GypsieGirl1, what a nice looking interior. Great job.

Wow those Sparton's are really cool. Never knew. Every once in a while I see an old trailer sitting in a field like the ones in the pictures and think they are pretty cool. Listening to the VAP podcast, Rob is always keeping an eye out for new projects so maybe someone might want to rescue one.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan