Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TV Storage - Cap Pack

I’m looking for ways to improve access to items in my full size TV. It always seems what I need is in the front of the bed! I was looking at a Cargo Slide and also a Cap Pack. Anyone with experience with these?
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I’m looking for ways to improve access to items in my full size TV. It always seems what I need is in the front of the bed! I was looking at a Cargo Slide and also a Cap Pack. Anyone with experience with these?
No experience with those but I have one windoor on my A.R.E topper and it helps immensely, thinking about getting a windoor for the other side although just the one is a huge difference. I built a shelf across the back for totes and another over the wheel well on the windoor side.

The shelf across the back holds 3 large totes and 3 more fit underneath. On the side with the windoor I keep a plastic truck box that I can open from the windoor and this is where all my road stuff goes like oil, coolant, fuel additive, rags and anything I might need in a pinch on the road.

The wheel well shelf keeps things like ice chests up off the floor and to the side. This way my floor stays open for easy access to everything, or at least lightweight things like lawn chairs can go on the floor which are easily removed to gain access to the front of the bed.

The Cap Pack looks like it would be useless when hitched up.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
No experience with those but I have one windoor on my A.R.E topper and it helps immensely, thinking about getting a windoor for the other side although just the one is a huge difference. I built a shelf across the back for totes and another over the wheel well on the windoor side. up.

Almost same here but with two windoors, my shelf holds bulky items and Weber Q100 nicely. Also made s push pull stick from a nice maple limb. End has a stout hook. Allows pulling items and pushing around for access.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Getting at much of anything with the trailer hitched up is going to be tough with a pickup as a TV. Indeed that is a one argument for a large van as a TV. Depending on what vehicle you have, there may not be a lot of options. Getting over the side of our F-250 is not all that easy. I'm only 6'4" and it's a bit of a pain ....

My only answer has been to put stuff in labeled bins. Five of the six bins are accessible ... sort of. The sixth ( center front) is a challenge to get to. It's not ideal, but it does reduce the thrashing when you go looking for something.

I'd post a link, but the bins are 30 years old. They don't make them anymore. We've used them for camping for a *long* time.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a boat hook left over from sailing days, and it helps a lot. Then I store stuff in Rubbermaid Action Packers or Rubbermaid totes. The boat hook doubles as the handle for a brush for washing the RV also.
I look longingly at the bed slides, except for the added weight, and giving up the room under the tonneau. Then my generator wouldn't fit.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I had a boat hook left over from sailing days, and it helps a lot. Then I store stuff in Rubbermaid Action Packers or Rubbermaid totes. The boat hook doubles as the handle for a brush for washing the RV also.
I look longingly at the bed slides, except for the added weight, and giving up the room under the tonneau. Then my generator wouldn't fit.
I too have an ARE HD cap. I got a tool box on one side and the windoor on the other. It also has a 700 lb rack on the top and an aluminum frame on the inside I can hang stuff on. I couldn't be happier. I would like to see some pics of the shelves yall built inside I like that idea.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_115411.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	316277
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a 2015 - Ford F-350 purchased new. From my former truck ( Dodge 3500 short bed) I transferred the sliding bed insert. At the time of purchase I had the spray bed liner done through the dealer (Rhino liner). I've found it to be a very good investment. After I got home I purchased a cab height cap painted to match with side windows that open. Then, following a friends idea, I made a welded steel tubing frame across the width and approx. half the bed length. This allows a lot of above bed storage with access from the opening side windows. The bed slide allows easy access to my STUFF although the portion that slides under the shelf is somewhat height restricted so I have to work around that. Works for me.

PS: the sliding bed takes about 5" of height from the opening. Consider that also.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Tow Vehicle Storage

I've got an Avalanche 2500 that we use to pull our Airstream. The truck has a cap but we added a "slider" in the bed that allows us to pull it out and access everything inside the truck without trying to climb in. Works great!
blueloue69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing to think a bit about: As you add this and that to the truck to improve storage, you are adding weight. You then pack even more in it (since the storage is easier) and that adds weight. Put on your fancy / expensive hitch and ...more weight. Now you put your 1,300 lb tongue weight trailer on the TV. Ready to go you put 1,000 lb of dogs and people into the truck .... (that last one, unfortunately an accurate .... burp .... number ... )

If you thought ahead and bought a F-350 dually none of this may matter. On a mid-range F-150 ... ummm ..... errrr ... well ... Do yourself a favor and run past the CAT scales *before* you put the cargo slide and the fully tricked out cap on.

Bob
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing to think a bit about: As you add this and that to the truck to improve storage, you are adding weight. You then pack even more in it (since the storage is easier) and that adds weight. Put on your fancy / expensive hitch and ...more weight. Now you put your 1,300 lb tongue weight trailer on the TV. Ready to go you put 1,000 lb of dogs and people into the truck .... (that last one, unfortunately an accurate .... burp .... number ... )

If you thought ahead and bought a F-350 dually none of this may matter. On a mid-range F-150 ... ummm ..... errrr ... well ... Do yourself a favor and run past the CAT scales *before* you put the cargo slide and the fully tricked out cap on.

Bob
I have an F350 SRW and I just ordered a scale for the garage to figure out how it has gained 840 lbs since I first brought it home 9 years ago, and how I can shed some of that. Loaded with fuel and 2 adults with hotel luggage I am within 1,040 lbs of GVWR without a trailer or hitch!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I have an F350 SRW and I just ordered a scale for the garage to figure out how it has gained 840 lbs since I first brought it home 9 years ago, and how I can shed some of that. Loaded with fuel and 2 adults with hotel luggage I am within 1,040 lbs of GVWR without a trailer or hitch!
Hi

I think a *lot* of us slip into the "gain weight over the years process. Some of us also have that happen to our trucks .

It's normal to figure out how to pack a bit more of this or that here or there. It's also normal to decide that, after running out of this or that, to take more next time. If it's just a matter of sorting out the lug wrenches, that's not a big deal. Pulling the cargo slide or cap off the truck .... yikes !!!

Bob
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Under cap storage

Husband built a shelf in back of truck under cap that extends to back and across two thirds of width with two by fours and plywood. Left one third of width for taller items. We use concrete mixing trays to store equipment. Simply pull trays out with a long grabber, hook or cord handles. We fit four trays on top and can do same underneath. Doesn’t add much extra weight and makes items much more accessible.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I think a *lot* of us slip into the "gain weight over the years process. Some of us also have that happen to our trucks .

It's normal to figure out how to pack a bit more of this or that here or there. It's also normal to decide that, after running out of this or that, to take more next time. If it's just a matter of sorting out the lug wrenches, that's not a big deal. Pulling the cargo slide or cap off the truck .... yikes !!!

Bob
Scale has not arrived yet but I got a few guesses...bigger wheels and tires +80lb, tool set +60lb, compressor & tank +25lbs, sub woofer +20lbs, shelf #1 +40lbs, shelf #2 +20 lbs, 3 layers of carpet +40lbs, truck box full of oil, trans fluid, coolant and spare starter +65lbs, small floor jack +40lbs, front receiver hitch +60lbs. Maybe another 60 lbs was our luggage so there's 510 lbs. The only variable I am unsure of is fuel, my last weigh was with a full tank but not sure how much was in it when I first weighed it way back when I first brought it home. My 38 gallons of fuel weighs about 258 lbs. I seriously doubt it was near empty at my initial weighing because I just never let it get very low. hmmm....I wonder how much those new seat covers weigh.....

Another thought... how do you figure increased weight of wheels and tires? The weight is not really on the suspension, how does that fit in? I went from 265/75/16s to 275/70/18s using OEM Lariat rims which were made for my truck, the tires weigh 14 lbs more apiece and my guess on the wheels is 6 lbs more.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I went with a "Pickup Pack" from Highway Products. Combo of tool boxes, bed cap, bed roller, "headache" rack and ladder/boat rack. I put things in large rubbermaid bins, so that even with truck hitched I can slide the bed out around 3 ft. and pull the bins out. Click on my "images" or gallery link to see the set up. I'm quite pleased with how it has worked. Per CAT scale, I usually run at 17,000 GCVW, with 10k on p/u and 7k on AS. Still have plenty of margins below max vehicle and axle weights for safety...
Old 07-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Scale has not arrived yet but I got a few guesses...bigger wheels and tires +80lb, tool set +60lb, compressor & tank +25lbs, sub woofer +20lbs, shelf #1 +40lbs, shelf #2 +20 lbs, 3 layers of carpet +40lbs, truck box full of oil, trans fluid, coolant and spare starter +65lbs, small floor jack +40lbs, front receiver hitch +60lbs. Maybe another 60 lbs was our luggage so there's 510 lbs. The only variable I am unsure of is fuel, my last weigh was with a full tank but not sure how much was in it when I first weighed it way back when I first brought it home. My 38 gallons of fuel weighs about 258 lbs. I seriously doubt it was near empty at my initial weighing because I just never let it get very low. hmmm....I wonder how much those new seat covers weigh.....

Another thought... how do you figure increased weight of wheels and tires? The weight is not really on the suspension, how does that fit in? I went from 265/75/16s to 275/70/18s using OEM Lariat rims which were made for my truck, the tires weigh 14 lbs more apiece and my guess on the wheels is 6 lbs more.
Hi

Life would be *much* easier if one could always point to a single component and say "that is always the limiting factor". Since there is a number on the axles, people like to latch onto that number. Springs are another thing to grab onto. ( = bigger springs cary more load).

It's actually worse since we love to look at static loads ( load sitting parked on the scale). In the real world dynamic loads very much do exist. Things like wheels are in motion. Turning them / bumping them creates forces.

Going through everything to work out just what going from (say) 18" wheels to 20" wheels does .. not easy. ( No, you didn't say larger diameter, you just said bigger ...).

Real limits on a real vehicle come from a lot of sources. It's not at all easy to sum them up in a single spec. About all you can do is *hope* that the same crew that couldn't design a tailgate that stays closed did the rest of the truck right.

Bob
Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #16
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I went with a "Pickup Pack" from Highway Products. Combo of tool boxes, bed cap, bed roller, "headache" rack and ladder/boat rack. I put things in large rubbermaid bins, so that even with truck hitched I can slide the bed out around 3 ft. and pull the bins out. Click on my "images" or gallery link to see the set up. I'm quite pleased with how it has worked. Per CAT scale, I usually run at 17,000 GCVW, with 10k on p/u and 7k on AS. Still have plenty of margins below max vehicle and axle weights for safety...
I am curious as to what the GVWR is on the Ram?
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Brian, Sorry for the delay in answering - storm took out campground wifi and no VZW cell phone towers for jetpack...

Anyway, the GVRW on my truck is 12,300#.
Front axle GAWR is 6,000#.
Rear axle GAWR is 7,000#.

Driving north in May with "full battle rattle", my CAT scale readings were:
Steer axle: 5040#
Drive axle: 5760#
Trailer axles: 6640#
Total weight: 17,440

So, with truck @ 10,800 vs. 12,300; trailer at 6640 vs. 9,000 GVW and each axle around 1,000# under max I'm comfortable with my margins of safety...
Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I should also add that I upgraded my AS wheels to 16" and installed Michelin XPS Rib LT225/75R16 Load Range E truck tires, so I'm well below max on the TT tires, as well.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have stackable black plastic boxes. There are holes in the edge which I tie a rope to. I tie rope to bed cargo hook with snap caribiner. The low use items at front, regularly used load last. When I want a front box, I have to unload the first ones... then pull the proper rope for desired box stack.

Only twice in 2 months didn’t I need to unload everything for security checks. I can access ALL of my gear with the AS hooked up. Cost? About $60.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote