Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
MILBRIDGE , ME
TV question

I will be picking up a new 19CB Flying Cloud from Colonial AS in NJ in a couple of weeks. I already have my TV...a Ford F-150. My question, which just occurred to me in the last few hours is....will I be able to drop my tailgate door to access the truck bed while hitched to the AS? Anyone out there with this TV/AS combination, please give me the benefit of your experience. Thanks.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
It depends. Situations will very quite a bit due to features of the tow vehicle, hitch type, etc.

A friend of ours just purchased a new-to-them 1500 Chevrolet Silverado. They cannot lower the tailgate when the trailer is connected. Another friend parked right next to them had a Ford 250 and they could drop the tailgate.

The difference was in the hitch, in the height of the vehicle relative to the tongue height, how the hitch was attached to the tow vehicle and the distance/length of the shank, etc.

The Chevrolet was relatively low even though it is a 4X4. That person had a conventional weight distribution hitch. The tongue, the receiver on the vehicle, very little drop/offset in the shank of the hitch, the tailgate were all too close to allow the tailgate to drop.

The Ford was also a 4X4 and due to it's much higher tailgate, the location of the receiver on the truck, the large drop/offset in the shank and particularly due to the fact they use a Pro-Pride (or maybe it's a Hensley) hitch - they could open their tailgate with no problem.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
When first got AS towed with F250 "on the ball" and could not lower tailgate.
Soon realized needed a WDH and installed Equalizer.
Not only towed way better but to my delight could open tailgate as well.
So as mentioned - it depends...
Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
The draw length of your hitch and the position of your electric jack head will determine if you can drop your tailgate.

Most electric jack heads can be turned 90 degrees to give more clearance. Mine is mounted with the switches to the port side to have the light on the door side of the trailer at night.

Even with your small trailer, weight distribution and sway control are highly recommended. With both you can have a bit longer draw length, the distance the ball and the receiver. Without weight distribution and sway control, "on the ball" you can have a longer shank to allow the tailgate to drop, but you will give up stability and control.

Sorry for the long answer to end with, "Yes, you can drop the tailgate, but you need the right hitch and to reposition the jack head."

Now I send you down the right hitch rabbit hole, and I am not going there with you, you will find many happy reads on Blue Ox, Equalizer, Hensley, Propride, and some on the Husky Centerline.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
MILBRIDGE , ME
All, thanks for your replies. I suspected that "it depends" would be the most appropriate reply, because so much hinges on unknown variables. Colonial is supplying me with a WD hitch, so I'll see if I get lucky. In any case, it's not a deal breaker, because I'm tall enough to step on the bumper and get in the bed of the truck even if the tailgate is not open.
Thanks again.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I definitely would not extend the bar that goes into the receiver. You are asking for trouble as the dynamics change. I owned an F-150 with an Equalizer hitch and the tailgate would not go down. I ordered a Jack-E-Up that allows you to remove the entire tongue jack and put in your bed. It made things a lot easier.

One drawback is that it fits tight against the tank covers and you may want to protect them with layers of tape or a small rubber sheet. Also, you have to add a small connector to the red & Black power so you can disconnect from the battery.

This all works very well and will give you full access to the bed. I've moved on to a different vehicle and hitch and no longer use this. Half price if you want it! $30 + ship. Go look up some of the videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	315896  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote