Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

POULSBO , WA
I have a 2018 30ft classic that was doing the same thing. The plug on the airstream has brass fingers inside that slide over the prongs on your trucks socket. The fingers are quite soft and lose their spring tension. In an emergency I was able to use a jewelers screwdriver to gently pry the fingers back together. If you look at the end of the plug you may be able to see these gaps. After I cut the plug off the Airstream and installed a new one, all the problems went away. On another note the shore power where it plugs into the trailer isn't much better as it too makes a poor quality electrical connection. Mine got hot burned the contacts and melted the plastic somewhat. I replaced it with a 50 amp "Smart Plug". If your not an electronics guy like myself you will want a competent professional do this for you.
58Model219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Check your electric break

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieStream View Post
I have a 2019 F-250 and I'm pulling a 2019 Airstream 25FB Flying Cloud. Recently my truck alerts me that it's lost the connection to the trailer. When it does this, the trailer brakes quit working, but the the lights on the trailer continue to work. It will connect, re-connect, over and over again. If I get out and unplug and plug it back in that will sometimes fix the issue. Is there an easy way to fix this annoying problem?

My dad was told that Grote: Ultra Seal works. I wanted to check here first. Thanks!!
Very common problem with Ford trucks. I chased this problem for months. Replaced brakes finally fixed it. There is one wire that activates the brakes Ford sends a continuous pulse down this line and looks for a return on this same line. No return you get the trailer disconnected.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #23
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I use CRC electronic contact cleaner on both the male and femasle connector. I also use a 7-pin connector cover on my cable when the AS is not connected to the TV.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
I had the same thing with my 2015 F150. Believe it or not the truck need a computer update. Iím not sure that would be the case for a 2019, but it worked like a charm for my truck.
Skycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #25
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Both the 2013 F150 I used to have and the 2019 F250 I currently have do this. I have found, by taking the trailer end, and using a flat screw driver, move the contacts closer to the center,all around the connector. With the truck off, needle nose pliers and a gentle twist of each of the pins also help. The first time you plug in, there will be resistance to inserting the plug, and once in, it will feel solid, with little wiggle play.

This is good for several months to a year of full time travels.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Have you ever (or is it possible someone else) pulled away after unhitching the trailer with it still connected?, i.e. pulled out by force.

If so, the trailer connector and housing can stretch slightly and serve cause for a looser connection even when the locking tab is in place. It should be a firm fit when coupled, the tab is only a safety.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
We had this issue with our 2016 Bambi Sport 16 towed by a Volvo XC90. The problem was a loose connection with the adapter between the AS and the TV that puts a load on the brake light circuit so the TV knows something attached and turns on the hitch controller module. LED brake lights don't draw as much current as the incandescent lights the Volvo expects. The spring loaded cap did not make a positive mechanical connection. Eliminated the adapter by wiring load resistors into the trailer's brake light circuit. The direct connection is mechanically much more secure.
dmatzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

tulsa , Oklahoma
Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieStream View Post
I have a 2019 F-250 and I'm pulling a 2019 Airstream 25FB Flying Cloud. Recently my truck alerts me that it's lost the connection to the trailer. When it does this, the trailer brakes quit working, but the the lights on the trailer continue to work. It will connect, re-connect, over and over again. If I get out and unplug and plug it back in that will sometimes fix the issue. Is there an easy way to fix this annoying problem?

My dad was told that Grote: Ultra Seal works. I wanted to check here first. Thanks!!
Use a ziptie to secure the plug.... it is not a tight fit and the chord bounces and pulls as the trailer goes over bumps. Just carry a supply of them... I tried tape but it is a hassle.
Beavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Also, when you pull out the plug from the receptacle, pull it out perfectly straight or you might bend the flat pins to a "no contact" position. Same with insertion. This happens to us regularly, requiring manually tweaking the truck pins until contact is made. We bought on Amazon, a connector that plugs into our trailer umbilical that has a small L.E.D. readout showing which ports are active. No power. No light, saving you having to walk around for a visual check...just another tool in your arsenal.
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
I started having the same problem as the OP. I did a thorough job of cleaning both the umbilical plug and the connector on my truck. I discovered that my umbilical did have a fair amount of corrosion starting. Once clean, I didn't have any more problems. Then to keep the umbilical in good shape I got a gizmo to hang it on when not towing. Three years later, no further problems. Here's the gizmo I picked up, or at least very similar:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-Tow...-Kit/168498825
Old 01-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Oakdale , Pennsylvania
Ford 7 way plug problems

I have a 2018 Ford Super Duty and have had the same problem. The issue appears to me that the plug is positioned upside down with the retainer knob at the bottom instead of the top (as on my old Tundra). Consequently the heavy cable pulls out by rotating around the retainer knob when the spring weakens. Ford seems to agree as they have replaced the plug twice under warranty. Electrical tape works until you get it replaced.
Woody48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have the same issue with my 2019 f150. The issue is the 7 pin connector is too small. Iím going to replace my 7 pin connector when I get around to it. If you use dielectric grease on your existing 7 pin plug...it helps immensely!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Velcro

I install the plug ( same truck same problems) then now use a 6 inch long thin strip of Velcro to wrap around the plug and the flip down power cord door. Once we did this it has stopped loosing connections and error messages.

At first on the road after two errors we stopped my wife came up with a womanís pony tail hair cord. It works but they stretch out
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:01 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
I have had same thing happen as well. Traveling on rough roads seems to cause it shake partially loose. Making sure it well secured seems to help prior to departure.
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Roxboro , North Carolina
I had the same issue with one trailer (FC 27) and two Ford trucks, 2012 F150 and 2017 F350, especially after a sharp turn. Small bungee wrapped around the connection fixed it for both trucks.