Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Triple Axle Airstreams

I have read in a couple of threads where folks are looking for lovingly used long, triple axle Airstreams. This is just a note to share the results of my “survey” of Airstreams parked at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL. This park has about 300 sites, with a majority of them filled by Silver Bullets. I took the survey the week of 2MAR20. Results surprised me - 70 sites were occupied by triple axle Airstream trailers including our own, beloved Leilani! IF you are interested in one of these wonderful trailers, this park has a lot of selling and buying as people move out of their trailers due to health and/or age issues. We are allowed to post our intent to sell our trailer on a 3”x5” card on the bulletin board in the pavilion. My recommendation is to contact the clubhouse to access this information. Hours for the clubhouse are limited during the summer, but 9AM - 3PM in the winter, that are filled by two of our three paid employees. I hope this is useful information for anyone considering these longer trailers. We purchased ours last year and call her “Leilani“- our small one bedroom Florida Condo! Contact me by PM if you are interested in the very affordable way for Airstreams to RV/camp all winter, with a 12 month lease and share in the park. Many of you reading this note can add the amenities this park has to offer. The park’s website is: landyachtharborofmelbourne.com.

superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Wish I could enjoy that park. Unfortunately, they are 55+ community and strictly enforced. Won’t even let a young guy like me in with a brand new airstream.

Reverse age discrimination sucks. Maybe I’ll have luck in 20 years if they are still around then.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Triple Axle 34's at LYH

This is our 3rd winter at LYH. The first year there were 89 Triple 34's. They are slowly disappearing from the park. Some are being replaced by newer AS. Some are leaving as a result of folks that have been there for many years deciding to stay in there brick and mortar homes for the winter.

LYH is a fantastic place. Yes, it is an over 50 park, and absolutely no pets. When I was 35 I used to think who would want to be in a place the required you to be over 55. Well, now that I am 62 it makes perfect sense to me. The no pet policy is another major plus.

It is not a policy of age discrimination. So, BigSxyWhtGuy, Just hang in there until your 50 years old and you to can enjoy the peace and quiet of a park with no screaming kids or barking dogs. Some things require aging into them. LYH is one of them.

LYH also allows RV's other than Airstreams. This past winter, of the 300 spaces, almost 100 of them had SOB's (some other brand) on them. It is a welcoming place to spend the winter amongst mostly very nice folks.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
It is not a policy of age discrimination.
Actually, yes it is. If age is the only reason for excluding someone, that is age discrimination.

The Fair Housing Act prohibits age discrimination, with very few exceptions that allow "senior living communities" to discriminate due to age under certain specific conditions defined in the Act, none of which seem to apply to LYH.

The question then becomes, does Land Yacht Harbor fall under the Fair Housing Act in the first place? Probably not, because one doesn't rent the trailers, only the lot they're parked on, so one isn't leasing housing, only land. Not coming under the Fair Housing Act would mean that they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of age.

But please, don't pretend that LYH isn't discriminating on the basis of age when they are, even if it is legal in this case.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the thread, superChop.

FYI LYH has been mentioned in many threads here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Land...=airforums.com
https://www.landyachtharborofmelbourne.com/

Is the Seattle WA park related?
http://washingtonlandyachtharbor.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...or-177501.html

Thanks again,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Over 55, or now 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, yes it is. If age is the only reason for excluding someone, that is age discrimination.

The Fair Housing Act prohibits age discrimination, with very few exceptions that allow "senior living communities" to discriminate due to age under certain specific conditions defined in the Act, none of which seem to apply to LYH.

The question then becomes, does Land Yacht Harbor fall under the Fair Housing Act in the first place? Probably not, because one doesn't rent the trailers, only the lot they're parked on, so one isn't leasing housing, only land. Not coming under the Fair Housing Act would mean that they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of age.

But please, don't pretend that LYH isn't discriminating on the basis of age when they are, even if it is legal in this case.
It has been an over 55 (more recently 50) park since 1980. The Port O Call Airstream Park, which was the AS park in Melbourne, Fl. for decades, closing sometime after 1980, was also a 55 and over park.

Can not attest to the details of the Fair Housing Act as I am not a lawyer that deals with those issues. If it is in violation it sure has taken a long time to come to light. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of over 55 communities in Florida and throughout the nation. LYH is operated as a Corporation in which residents purchase shares. Give them a call and I am pretty sure they can tell you the finer points of how the corporation was formed so that they can be considered a 55 and older community.

There have been posts in the past that have been critical of LYH and the way it is operated. The solution to that is to find another wonderful place in Florida to spend the winter months. Why someone would chose to stay somewhere that they do not like, and then complain about it, is beyond me, Life is to short to live that way. Happy travels.

Always good to read a post from Protagonist. Makes one think.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
There have been posts in the past that have been critical of LYH and the way it is operated.
Not arguing whether it's right, only that it's probably legal. But I do have to wonder, if they needed more revenue, why did they choose to allow seniors with SOBs rather than younger Airstreamers? Seems that they're more concerned with keeping it "geezers only" (yes, I can say that, because I am one) than they were with keeping it "Airstream only". Maybe because there are more seniors than Airstreamers in the world, and being too exclusive doesn't pay the bills.
Quote:
The solution to that is to find another wonderful place in Florida to spend the winter months.
Or in another state. Florida in winter isn't really any better (or any worse) than any other Gulf Coast state or Southwestern state as a winter destination.
Quote:
Why someone would chose to stay somewhere that they do not like, and then complain about it, is beyond me, Life is to short to live that way.
Personally, I wonder why people would want to park their Airstreams (or SOBs) for months on end anywhere, unless they're work-camping. RVs have wheels for a reason, and I prefer to move around every few weeks rather than visit the same place for an entire season.

But the original purpose of this thread was to find triple-axle Airstreams, not to debate the merits and drawbacks of Land Yacht Harbor. So I would now like to return this thread to superChop and his search for the elusive "Great Aluminum Whale."
Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
. . .
So I would now like to return this thread to superChop . . .
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We've gotten a lot at The Ranch, an Escapees co-op in SE NM to use as a winter base. We still go off and go places, but we have a relatively inexpensive place to stay in a relatively warm area when that is desired. The Ranch is also an over-55 place, which gives us a certain amount of legal leeway on certain things. One has to be a member of Escapees in order to lease a lot here, and technically one has to be an Escapees member even to rent a lot for an overnight stay. That wasn't enforced for a while, as there were plenty of places for anyone to stay for a few days or even weeks. We're completely full now, so the rule is back in force.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
WOW! These threads can take a life of their own! I was merely attempting to inform those folks that are interested in purchasing the long AS that LYH in Melbourne, is a wonderful location to include in your search!

On the wheels on the frame are meant for rolling instead of parking for several months in one place - In FL, short fuse camping reservations are not readily available, so we have been taking one to two day trips around the state. Yes, we would like to tow it more, but at 34 foot the challenge to find a spot with enough room for TV and AS at State Parks is daunting. Plus, refueling with Leilani is a bit challenging! While we love this floor plan for longer stays, we will probably sell our 26’ and 34’. We have towed Leilani on the ball from Melbourne to Jax, and used a new Blue Ox from Jax to home in middle Georgia and we always experience the push from semi’s on the interstate, regardless of how many links we use, and 1000 lb bars were confirmed to be correct at Campers Inn. We will search for a 2014 30’, or slightly older AS that includes the fold down tables in from of the sofa. We should be more comfortable parking in smaller spaced parks. We will use LYH as a home base in the winter, since we have an annual lease on our site.

P.S. has anyone compared the comfort of the 34 footers sofa to the new/newer sofas? We LOVE our 1989 re-upholster sofa! My wife just visited friends with a several hundred thousand dollar class A last night here at LYH and she MUCH prefers our sofa to theirs - just saying!

P.S.S. I did mention MPG on a TV and hope no one jumps on that topic, since it is a non-issue when towing. Gas TV’s get about 10MPG and Diesel is about 14MPG when towing. NOTE: this is based on many threads on this FORUM AND conversations with many folks here at LYH. Who cares about MPG when selecting a TV? Capability to safely tow our beloved AS is the only consideration! As I mentioned in an earlier post, at 12,000 towing miles at $2.50 per gallon for gas and $3.00 for diesel, the fuel savings for diesel is only a few hundred dollars = insignificant difference, when you look at the cost of purchasing Super Duty pickups and the cost of routine maintenance on gas vs Diesel engines!!

superChop is offline   Reply With Quote