Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tricked out Tailgating

I was just watching the food channel and there was a preview for a show called "Tricked out Tailgating"...

Sure enough, the "vintage trailer" they were modifying was an Airstream. I only caught a glance, but I think it was around 22 ft, and was probably 50's or 60's model.

The part I saw was the circular saw cutting out about 4 feet of the side to make a swing out hatch. I couldn't look anymore......

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Classic for Me

Tin Lizzie,

I know your pain. The great thing about owning an AS is each of us gets to make that decision about whether or not to keep it classic or to modernize it. Right after we purchased our Excella, we went to my daughters college graduation. Afterwards, I found a cigar shop and after visiting with the owner, he stated he owned to AS's.

Well anyway....he made a comment that has stuck with me and that was this, "The first thing you need to do is decide whether you're staying classic or going modern. It will help you focus on how you'll change your AS." Good words and good cigars!!!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just remember, when one gets turned into a burger stand or whatever, it just brings more fans out of the woodwork. Think of it as a sacrifice for the greater Airstream good!

I saw the finished trailer in the background of an ad for some celebrity chef cookoff on Food Network. I didn't know they were going to show how they modified the trailer or I would have tuned in. I'll watch for repeats.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:01 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am of two minds about the heavy modification of Airstream trailers if it is something older or fairly rare and in good orginal shape, IMHO modifying it would be a no no. If it is already gutted or needs massive resconstruction I don't have a real issue with it. And I have the same feeling about old cars. I have a friend that is into hot rods...40 Fords in particular...He aquired a coupe from Brazil of all places,it was so complete and orginal that when you opened the trunk it still had the factory tool set in it's orginal box! He chose to re-sell the car to someone that would restore it rather than to cut it up and make a hot rod out of it. Good Move in my opinon. Got a 75 Airstream you want to gut...go ahead I won't stop you...might even buy some parts off of ya, got a 50's vintage that is all there and you want to make a burger stand out of it? I am going to call the Airstream Police on ya.. Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I don't mind gutting and reworking but I do hate to see the end chopped off to make a piece of living-room art. That really bothers me.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Everyone has their own level of tolerance. I had a guy chew me up one side and down the other one time for upgrading the fridge and heater in my vintage trailer! Gee, I just wanted some appliances that would WORK so I could use the trailer. Keeping it vintage doesn't help much if you're not enjoying it!

I don't mind someone like Food TV turning one into a promotional item. I DO NOT like movie studios who buy them to cut up, blow up, etc. That's just cruel!

Old 09-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes, remember the tractor beam ad from a couple years back? Yikes!

'Tricked out Tailgating' is listed under 'Food Network Specials.' I suspect the following are repeat times for a single program.

"Come along as Al Roker shows us what goes into building the ultimate tailgating machine! We'll watch as a vintage Airstream trailer is tricked out to tailgating perfection, then see it in action as two competing college teams vie to be the best of all Tailgaters. Chef Bobby Flay lends his expertise to one team, while Al Roker heads up the other."

AIR TIMES:
Oct 13 8:00PM ET/PT
Oct 14 12:00AM ET/PT
Oct 15 3:00 PM ET/PT
Oct 15 9:00 PM ET/PT
Oct 16 1:00AM ET/PT
Oct 23 4:00PM ET/PT

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Update, in a commerical today, I saw the WBCCI numbers on the rear. They were 13994. Anyone want to look it up?

They also showed some interior shots of the trailer. It in now a large kitchen with a Viking range and a lounge. As they said, tricked out tailgating.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Red face

13994 is not in the 2005 Directory , maybe in a older directory
Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Apparently they had a sweepstakes to give away a trailer, GMC truck, and some other stuff. The curious thing I noticed was that they had a graphic of an Airstream, and pictures of a CCD interior, but they never said "Airstream", it was just referred to as a 'trailer'. Apparently Airstream wasn't sponsoring the contest. GMC on the other hand was mentioned repeatedly and specifically.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Consider the mindset.

I went to a fancy smancy tailgating event. Some people didn't eat the food. It was for show. ( But maybe flys " landing " on it all day turned them off ).

My point is....Eat the food...Use the trailer!

Seaworthy ships, to the seaworthy sailors.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote