Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Post Travel to Alaska

We're considering a trip to Alaska. What suggestions can you offer for preparation and travel into remote areas there? We're located in OH and have a 2007 - 23' International CCD. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Chev TrailBlazer (V-8).
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
1. Allow enough time. Plan for shorter driving days. Enjoy the journey, don't focus on the destination.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I'm gonna' follow this post with some interest, as I'm planning the same trip. I've been to AK six times, but have never driven from the "lower 48."

First suggestion I have is to get the most recent copy of The Milepost. It's got the most up-to-date information on roads from the U.S. border to and through Alaska.

Second, plan to take your time, both going and sightseeing ... there's just a lot to see, and there's no point in hurrying. My kids say that all of Alaska ought to be a national park!

Third, there are a zillion places to stay in AK and along the way ... when I was there last, you could overnight anywhere that wasn't specifically posted to the contrary, and almost no place was posted - so we parked on beaches, on highway pullouts alongside gorgeous rivers, etc. for much of the time. And we stayed quite a bit in small campgrounds, with a few nights in Denali Park. The point is that for the most part you will be boondocking, so keeping tabs on your water and gray and balck tanks is important, and having either good solar panels adn a biggish battery bank and/or a small generator is highly recommended.

Last, I hear LOTS of reports of gravel / stone damage to both tow vehicles and trailers, so plan ahead in that regard with good mudflaps, stone deflectors, and insurance.

Good luck and have fun - it's almost impossible not to do so!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Don't over do the mud flaps. I made mine TOO big and they were only 2 in. off the ground. This caused them to act as vacuum cleaners and sand blasted the front of the trailer and the tongue down to the primer.

Plan at least 2 months. 2 weeks up, a month there and 2 weeks back. Any less and you will not forgive your self. There is as much to see in northern BC and the Yukon thus the travel time.

It's been 10 years and I can still find Alaskan dirt in my rig.

Consider a flight from Homer to Katmai to watch the bears feed. I condition this comment only if you are are willing to walk among them, as it is common to pass bears on the way to and from the overlook. The rangers will give you a 10 min bear edict course and a pin to prove you passed the course before you take off for the area.

The hot springs a Watson Lake are worth the stop and a great way to relax in the evening. About a 1/2 mile walk from the parking area.

Definitely go into Alaska via the Top of the World highway, Dawson City Yukon, spend a day or so there, and Chicken. You will know when you get to Alaska as you will drop off the pavement and into the mud at the boarder.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Count us in as well!

By the number of Alaska threads in this and other forums it's looking like that Alaska highway is going to be a busy place in 2011!

The Milepost is online ( The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner ) and is a very intuitive interactive tool - it's great for the planning stage you are in now. We will not be ordering our hard-copy version till the 2011 edition comes out.

Have a great trip .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We went to Alaska in '08, and again this last summer. I will second everything that everyone else as said.

I will add that you visit Valdez, and the Kenai pennisula. IMHO, some of the prettiest areas of the state that you can see from your vehicle.

About the flaps, I learned as Howie said, don't make them too low...about 4 inches off the ground is good, and put them at the back of the TV. Also, make sure they go all the way across, as the front tires will throw up rocks that will go between two flaps on the sides. Also, I put sleeping bag mattress pad on the front of the trailer and that really helps. (see my avitar and my pictures). Also, carry extra fuel, at least 10 gallons, and if you have to use it, replenish it.

Do Not take any hand guns into Canada...they are strickly forbidden. If you don't feel safe without a gun, you can go online and download a form that will allow you to take a long gun, shotgun or rifle, thru Canada for a fee of about $25. You must have passports.

Have fun.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Come to Skagway and call me when you get there. I will pour the first cool refreshing beverage at the brewery and we can tell Airstream stories.

I will be there in March and will not leave until October.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . We're going in 2012, probably Memorial weekend on and planning 2 months. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming ! Originally planned this trip with my 67 VW camper in 1977. Gas is a little higher now and the Airstream a lot nicer. We're doing Yellowstone, etc, this summer. I'll be following you this year in spirit. Have a Great and safe trip, Regards, Craig
Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Come to Skagway and call me when you get there. I will pour the first cool refreshing beverage at the brewery and we can tell Airstream stories.

I will be there in March and will not leave until October.
Wow! You're there for the Wind Festival.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
My wife and I are planning to leave Massachusetts at the end of April or early May to head for Alaska. We just bought our AS two weeks ago and the TV a few days later. Thanks for the advice about mudflaps, the Milepoast and protection for the AS.

We'll check back often to see what others have to say.

Thanks

Wayne
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
we're planning the same trip next summer! looks like it's going to be quite the adventure!
DCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Alaska route plan

One MUST stop is Liard Hot Springs. A great place to refresh in the hot water of the springs. Two herds of baffalo (+50 each) are in the area and all sorts of other wildlife. Watch for buffalo on the Liard River Crossing, a short distance before the HOT SPRINGS.
Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park - BC Parks
Many, many other stops on the way.
About 60 miles south of here is Muncho Lake. Double G Service.
http://www.karo-ent.com/doubleg.htm
Great place to have a huge breakfast.
Times are tough this past couple years and services are fewer. PLAN AHEAD.
You will always want to go back again, after you have made this trip.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We went on a caravan in 2007. One tip would be to get a copy of the WB CCI caravan drivers manual. Or at least a copy of the itenerary. That would give you a good outline to follow. It was a great trip. Just be sure to do it instead of just planning.
The weather can be a big factor. The summer we went the weather was just terrible. Only about 4 days without rain all summer. Last summer the caravan had wonderful weather. Prepare to make the best of it no matter what the weather.
Second the comment about guns. We went in and out of Canada multiple times. We actually had customs hold us while they searched the trailer at one crossing. As did another couple at a different crossing. They are not kidding around with their handgun ban. I would not take any weapon. Lots of wildlife in the Yukon and we fished gralying one night in the Youkon river.
From Prince George on up do not plan on lots of miles per day. Soldatna, Homer, Valdeze, Seward, Jeanu. My favorite was Haines for the bears and the glacier.. The only thing I liked about Skagay was the drive in and out. Spectacular. Not much on Dawson city and Chicken and the drive to Eagle and back. Couple of people had new trailers and trucks and were not happy. Stop one night at Chicken if you go in that way and keep rolling. Or go the other way.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
I'm curious about your comment "Couple of people had new trailers and trucks and were not happy." Was this due to stone damage? I'm most concerned about this aspect of the trip. Any further discussion of how to protect the AS and TV would be helpful.
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We have made 2 road trips to Alaska and plan a 3rd in 2011.

We had small stone damage on the front of the Airstream. Properly installed mudflaps will help keep some of the stones from hitting the front. I suppose you could wrap the whole front in bubble wrap, but we chose to not worry about any "character marks". We have subsequently kicked up a piece of tire which dented a front panel and run into a hailstorm which left marks on all the upper panels and roof panel. After 60,000 miles, I expect our "girl" to have some indication of wear. Believe me, I don't look as good as I did when I was brand new either!

A functional problem came when a rock knocked off the drain valve of our fresh water tank. Everything else was cosmetic.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, the Alaska roads are rough, muddy, and have lots of loose stones, and there are lots of construction areas. This is how we looked at Chicken, AK after traveling the Top of The World Highway (really not as good as some of our county roads.

This is the foam padding I put on the front of our trailer, which was very effective. With it, and the flaps we received no damage to the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Of The World, Pioneer Park, Brad 011.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	117078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada 006.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	117079  

Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
WOW are they designated sites in the background in the campground in Chicken? If so they have really modernized a lot since 2000.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
WOW are they designated sites in the background in the campground in Chicken? If so they have really modernized a lot since 2000.
Oh yea, they have gone big city with water AND electricity, well, that is when the generator is running, but still no sewer system. They still use outhouses.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
They still use outhouses.
For good reason. An outhouse may be freezing but it will not freeze.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
mostly the gravel roads were pretty rough. Shelves came unachored, things screwed together came apart. Mostly from overloading, best I could see. People load a magazine rack or bookshelf extra full with heavy stuff then it falls off. If you just gotta carry catalogs and magazines put them in box on the floor over a b eam. Some stone damage, but not much,really. Several hundred miles of gravel roads with steep drop offs and no guard rails. You could loose a whole rig if you were really unlucky. When we came into Alaska from Canada after leaving Dawson city there was a car and uhaul about 100 yards down the hill on its side. Some one had sprayed "OK" on it meaning that the people had gotten out and there was no need to go down and check it again. I grew up in Applachia so I was probably better prepared mentally for this type of driving.
We had a few chipped winshields in the group. Nothing you can do about it. When a truck decides to pass you on a gravel stretch it does so. And it is often like a shotgun hitting the side of the car with the little gravel they use. One thing we did was to cover all of the drivers side windows of the trailer with plexiglas and aluminum tape. There were A few flat tires from the sharp gravel. We hight have had a few people along that had not gotten past the point of worrying about the "investment" and "resale" of their rig. Personally I enjoyed the route and the drive very much. My strong reccomendation is to carry a small generator to charge the batteries and to make sure your electrical system is in good shape and that you understand how to use it. I did not carry a generator and it was our first long trip in a trailer. I use a breathing pac and was worried about running out of electricity. So we frozen in Chicken because we did not have enough juice to run the furnace for 3 days. They did have a nice building with food and heat and computer hookup in the campground we stayed in (there are 2, and they are very competive). We froze in Jasper going up for the same reason.
Most of the bigger dents we have gotten in our trailer came in the lower 48 from debris on the highway. Most of the dust and dirt that is still in the seams and cracks 2 years later came from Alaska.
Some people put the pvc and screen guards on the front of the trailer. There was a pile of them free for the taking at the campground in Prince George. I was afraid it would come loose and beat the trailer up worse than the stray rocks. I did have big mudflaps. Some of the happiest times were when we would find a carwash big enough for the rig.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, travel hints