Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Trailer shipped without mattresses.

We were all excited to pick up our new 27' International tomorrow with a Friday night dealer stay over (test run) in Katy, Texas. Dealer rep called and said trailers being shipped without bed mattresses. They have had the trailer in for a week. Unfortunately it's a 4 hour drive for us so driving down to just take a look won't work. Now we have to wait for twin mattresses. Not complaining too much, it could be worst.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's a new trick. I never heard of that one before. I guess that mattresses are the new toilet paper.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Any chance you could get them to put in better-than-Airstream mattresses? Not a quick solution, I suppose... I miss the custom mattresses I had made for the Argosy, I'm going to have to pry open my wallet and do that for the FC.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Congrats on the new trailer! Sorry for your lack of bedding.

I just wanted to mention that I-10 from Brookshire to the west past Sealy is a heavy construction area with narrow lanes and lane shifts. I have been avoiding it while towing using an alternate route. Depending on your comfort level in towing your new shiny trailer, you may wish to consider the same.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Congrats on the new trailer! Sorry for your lack of bedding.

I just wanted to mention that I-10 from Brookshire to the west past Sealy is a heavy construction area with narrow lanes and lane shifts. I have been avoiding it while towing using an alternate route. Depending on your comfort level in towing your new shiny trailer, you may wish to consider the same.
I appreciate the road information.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe you can get a discount and then buy good mattresses.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Smithville , Tn
The main cushion manufacturer for RVs and furniture in the US had issues during the ice storm that they haven’t recovered from. I’ll bet it has to do with that. We were told by a furniture store that a special order sofa would be 4-6 months due to whatever the issue is.
Bhmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
We were all excited to pick up our new 27' International tomorrow with a Friday night dealer stay over (test run) in Katy, Texas. Dealer rep called and said trailers being shipped without bed mattresses. They have had the trailer in for a week. Unfortunately it's a 4 hour drive for us so driving down to just take a look won't work. Now we have to wait for twin mattresses. Not complaining too much, it could be worst.
Talk about a let down, dang.

If I could get 'em to you, we have two near new ones for sale, from our 2019 International. But TX is a far trip from PA.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Well this is a first for me. What next, release and ship a trailer without a stove, couch, water pump? What, the holding lot at JC full?!

Seems crazy to me to ship an unfinished trailer, then pay to ship components this large later, leaving a new and yet to be finished unsaleable trailer stuck on a dealer lot for an undetermined period of time and how does one keep track of the units shipped out that still need parts?

Wonder how many other trailers are sitting on dealer lots or may be in transit without all the components?

This is somewhat disturbing to me for one main reason. It feels like a get it out the door and book it as a shipped/sold unit mentality. This seems to coincide with a number of quality shortcomings I've been reading about here with new stuff coming out of the factory. I mean classic case was that unit that shipped with cabinets that were all scratched up. Ship now, fix later.

Of course the other side of this coin, the dealer took the mattresses out an placed them in another RV, I just can't see how Airstream shipped an incomplete trailer. Never heard of this happening before...maybe it has many times, but this is a first for me.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Well this is a first for me. What next, release and ship a trailer without a stove, couch, water pump?
I'd be upset also.
But in today's economy, businesses use what's called "Just in time" inventory. Instead of a giant warehouse with all the parts in it, they rely on UPS or FedEX to deliver parts "Just in time" for the unit to be out the door. It's easy to see how the slightest disruption causes a delay.
AS could hold the trailer, or send it to the dealer hoping the dealer had a unit to swap mattresses.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
You could lower the dinette and sleep there or bring/buy some inflatable ground pads. And then have them ship the mattresses straight to your home?
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Mattress shortage at Jackson Center...

I had an interesting conversation on our last 'adventure' (May 2021) with an individual who hauls and delivers Airstream trailers. From Dealerships and Jackson Center moving them from point A to B. That is what he does... by mileage.

There was a 'shortage of mattresses' at Jackson Center (I did not ask for dates as we were just having a general conversation but 2021 models.) A shipment of mattresses did arrive and employees were rushing to install mattresses into finished trailers so these trailers could be shipped and delivered to dealerships.

He found it interesting seeing all of these mattresses being rushed to trailers needing them to be complete.

He said a hundred or more Airstreams... I did not ask for exact numbers nor gave it much thought until seeing this Thread.

This is a consequence of the Covid (fill in the blank) causing a backup in mattress deliveries. That was his assumption. Not mine. I am a Neanderthal.

After seeing this thread... that was the situation. He was delivering a new boat at the time.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Don’t mean to sound like sour grapes but get ready. We took delivery of our 2021 Classic from Camper Clinic II in Buda, Tx last February and have experienced numerous quality issues. We’re on our first long trip from Texas to Virginia to experience the failure of one of our 110v circuits (inverter failure) and our entry step breaking about 3 stops ago. Stopped in at Airstream of Virginia in Ashland, VA yesterday where they worked us right in. Managed to fix the step but no replacement inverter in inventory and 2 weeks to get a new one so we’re stuck with our electrical problem until we return to Texas. However, while at the Virginia dealer yesterday they mentioned receiving a new customer unit without the mattress of which the customer decided to take delivery of and wait for an unspecified time to receive the mattress. So it appears shipping new trailers from the factory with missing parts has become a common practice. Kind of like Ford shipping a new F150 without the steering wheel. Makes no sense...
Chuga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhmack View Post
The main cushion manufacturer for RVs and furniture in the US had issues during the ice storm that they haven’t recovered from. I’ll bet it has to do with that. We were told by a furniture store that a special order sofa would be 4-6 months due to whatever the issue is.
In the latest Blue Berret, Justin Humphreys, VP Sales wrote this:
"In addition, we have had other events occur that has added insult to injury for the supply chain. From the Suez Canal being shut down for almost a week to a storm that shut down the state
of Texas for several days, these events have had a negative domino effect on our supply chain. The Texas shutdown has impacted our ability to get insulation, fiberglass, cushion foam, etc. When you have these unique challenges occur, it reminds us how small this world has become and how impactful it can be to an entire supply chain ecosystem. Our team is working diligently to secure these important parts for both our manufacturing facilities and our customers alike. However, we do not see these challenges easing very soon. So, if you have an Airstream on order, be prepared for some delays and if you have an Airstream but need a part, keep in mind it will likely take longer than normal. Our team is doing everything we can to secure these parts as fast as we can."
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuga27 View Post
Don’t mean to sound like sour grapes but get ready. We took delivery of our 2021 Classic from Camper Clinic II in Buda, Tx last February and have experienced numerous quality issues. We’re on our first long trip from Texas to Virginia to experience the failure of one of our 110v circuits (inverter failure) and our entry step breaking about 3 stops ago. Stopped in at Airstream of Virginia in Ashland, VA yesterday where they worked us right in. Managed to fix the step but no replacement inverter in inventory and 2 weeks to get a new one so we’re stuck with our electrical problem until we return to Texas. However, while at the Virginia dealer yesterday they mentioned receiving a new customer unit without the mattress of which the customer decided to take delivery of and wait for an unspecified time to receive the mattress. So it appears shipping new trailers from the factory with missing parts has become a common practice. Kind of like Ford shipping a new F150 without the steering wheel. Makes no sense...
Hi

Well, what's the alternative?

If you take a look at the auto manufacturers, they have hundreds of acres of space taken up with partially completed vehicles. They are straining to come up with more.

They could stop production. Now they need hundreds of acres of warehouse space to store all those parts. They don't own anything remotely close to that so they either need to lease (good luck) or build warehouses.

They could cancel parts orders and wait until they *know* they can get a full set of parts. Best guess is that would be some time in mid to late 2022. In the mean time their plants and dealerships are all shut down.

There is no magic bullet in this case.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I would go pick it up - they can ship the mattress direct to you, in the mean time you figure out a work around - maybe a foam mattress you could cut to fit.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Ask

Perhaps if the mfgr simply asked "Do you want it now, without _____, so you can begin __________ ?" And of course including the dealer in the conversation so their lot doesn't load up with units.

If I was asked, and it was just mattresses I would say "send it!" and set about organizing my camping gear such that we would be able to commence familiarization-through-camping with the new unit.

In the end, we added Costco 4" toppers - cut two twins out of one King topper - to our mattresses. Such a move might get you over the waiting. Just cut it perfectly in half and wait for the twin mattresses for final trimming in order to end up with a perfect template. Note that many twin owners also extend the mattress platform so it may seem like there is a lot of extra material without the extensions.

No water pump? No toilet? Less inclined to work around that. To each his own.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Seems like things are not getting any better. Every time you hope you've heard the last bad story.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Our 2001 AS was missing one of the four stereo speakers when we took delivery of it new. I didn’t discover it until about a week later (not as obvious as a missing mattress). I took the opportunity to upgrade that pair of speakers.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
You know, I've heard a number of folks blaming COVID for a lot of bad business decisions. Yes these are unprecedented times, yes I'm sure units cannot be completed and there are supply problems, but say they ship out 500 trailers without mattresses....

The customer if they decide to pickup the trailer has expenses on top of the good deal of $$ shelled out for the product, and what is the cost to ship 2 twin mattresses to 4 or 5 hundred owners? I mean we're not talking a tank drain cap, these are big, bulk expensive things to ship multiplied by the number sent. Then again, I read somewhere that Airstream is charging a standard $1600 to deliver a trailer, which in most cases more than covers delivery and I would suspect shipping of the mattresses.

I may be dating myself here but my destination charges were less than 1/2 of that number (as was my trailers cost vs todays), so I guess it's safe to assume Airstream is not loosing any money doing this.

Just seems like a dumb practice. I lay out $80k, I'd expect a competed trailer and not having to come up with creative solutions to their problems at my expense or have a dealer tell a me, yea, your brand new trailer is here, you know the one you've been waiting for since last August? One problem, it's got no mattresses.....

It's important to point out that THOR is the largest RV builder in the world and that they use similar products across all their model lines (Atwood, Dometic, etc). If THOR can get the stuff they need, imagine what the smaller manufac problems might look like....wonder if they too are shipping RVs without mattresses.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote