Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Toyota Towing

Hello everyone . My wife and I will be purchasing our first AS It will be a 25’fb
Flying Cloud . I own a 2018 sr5 Tundra with tow package with a 5.7 iforce engine
Has anyone pulled that size of rv with a tundra . My dealer says “ oh you won’t even know it’s back there “ when I do the numbers I am within the 80% weight requirement so I feel pretty good but I would like to hear it from experienced rv’ers . I have found most dealers have not camped in or pulled an AS and the largest thing I have towed is a 7x 12 cargo trailer. Also your recommendation on a weight distribution hitch would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at a Blue Ox , seems to be well made and quiet when towing.
Thanks for any advice , we’re ready to get to streamin’
Betterboat
Betterboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am on my 2nd 25 ft Airstream and my 3rd Tundra. Having towed this setup in over 40 states and 5 Canadian Provinces with a Blue Ox hitch, I think you will be fine. We like the comfort and reliability of the Tundra.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
On my 2nd Tundra and 7th Toyota. Tows all my trailers just fine.

Now I’ll just step out of here before the opinion brigade comes in.

Good luck!
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We towed a 25FB Safari with a 2007 Tundra 63,000 miles without any problems. The truck now has 126,000 miles on it and is going strong. We've towed another 6,000 miles another trailer about the same weight. No problems either. We have gone over the highest passes you'll find many times and quite fast without any problems except watching the gas gauge drop at 65 mph going up a 7% grade (best to go slower unless you are late to something). You do not need a diesel or a bigger truck, although people will tell you that. If you look around there are many threads about tow vehicles and some are specifically about Tundras. Toyota haters have field days on tow vehicle threads and will surely find this thread soon.

Richard's experience is like ours, except he apparently wore out one Tundra—must have gone 300,000 miles.

Your biggest limit is payload (cargo) because all 1/2 ton trucks have limits and you'll have to watch what you take in the truck. We did that and had no problems with eight either.

We had an Equalizer hitch and we liked it. I sold it with the Airstream and have another hitch which is easier to adjust, though I was used to the Equalizer and if I was going to do it again, I'd get another Equalizer.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
On my 2nd Tundra and 7th Toyota. Tows all my trailers just fine.

Now I’ll just step out of here before the opinion brigade comes in.

Good luck!
That size truck with a V8 should pull a 25’ just fine.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have a 2014 Tundra Limited extended cab short bed 4 x 4 with the 5.7 engine.
Use it to pull a 25 RB Flying Cloud. We use an Equalizer hitch.
Perfect set up. The tow haul setting works great, and the S and low gears fantastic in the mountains.

Recommend the strap on McKesh mirrors with the convex spots on both sides. These attach in about 2 minutes once you get it all figured out. Really gives a nice field of view. The convex spots let you see merging traffic and passing traffic well. Purchase the McKesh mirrors on the Hensley Hitch website. We first tried the mirrors that attach onto the Tundra mirrors but they vibrated more than we liked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	332919  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"oh you won't even know it's back there"

Hi, a Toyota Tundra like yours will have no problem towing a 25' Airstream.

I hate that expression "you won't even feel it". Well when you can no longer feel that you have 6,000 to 7,000 lbs. of trailer connected to your tow vehicle, You're headed for a very nasty accident.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Toyota Towing

When towing, “ignorance is bliss” is the prelude to disaster. My rig is set up so the AS follows like an obedient puppy, but I’m still always very aware it’s back there...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob and Rich are right—if you can't feel 3+ tons behind you, you need to see a neurologist right away.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
When someone says that it discounts everything else they have said up to and after.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Richard's experience is like ours, except he apparently wore out one Tundra—must have gone 300,000 miles.
Not quite that many, but a bunch. We traded in the 07 for a 16 that we had built to our liking. 4x4, TRD package, running boards, towing mirrors and the Limited version so we could enjoy the heated seats since we moved to the Prescott area of Arizona from Phoenix. We knew we would be traveling a lot in 2016 and 2017 as my job title with the club changed. The new truck will be 3 years old soon and has 60K+ miles with another 30K year coming up. We did replace the original Michelins on the 16 because we were headed to Alaska and wanted new tires. Lots of gas and many oil changes, the 16 is a very nice truck to see the USA and Canada in. It also fits (just) in my garage. :

Richard

Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It also fits (just) in my garage. :
I have to pull in one mirror to get in our garage. When we first bought this house I tried to squeeze in without doing that and ended up putting a dent in the left front fender. I learned my lesson then. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a battleship, but a very good battleship. I used to think the ride was too soft, but as I get older, the ride seems just right.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I have to pull in one mirror to get in our garage. When we first bought this house I tried to squeeze in without doing that and ended up putting a dent in the left front fender. I learned my lesson then. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a battleship, but a very good battleship. I used to think the ride was too soft, but as I get older, the ride seems just right.
It also helps that Jan drives a Mini Cooper. That gives me a bit more room.

Richard

Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
GreenEyedTadpole

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2008 25' Classic
2005 31' Classic
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Hartwell , Georgia
My husband always says it isn’t the pulling, it is the stopping abilities of the tow vehicle. We drive an F-350 4WD.
GreenEyedTadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Certainly brakes are important and I have never been all that impressed with the Tundra's brakes. I think they have improved them since we bought ours in 2007. A couple of years ago I rebuilt them because towing is hard on brakes. But the problem is also the trailer brakes. Electric brakes are very poor brakes—they help, but most of the braking is up to the tow vehicle. Instead of buying a new truck, you could actually save money by upgrading the trailer brakes. It would cost a few grand, but selling a good truck and buying another one (maybe not as good) will cost more because of the depreciation on the relatively new Tundra.

You've probably made a decision by now and how about letting us know what it was?

Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterboat View Post
Hello everyone . My wife and I will be purchasing our first AS It will be a 25’fb
Flying Cloud . I own a 2018 sr5 Tundra with tow package with a 5.7 iforce engine
Has anyone pulled that size of rv with a tundra . My dealer says “ oh you won’t even know it’s back there “ when I do the numbers I am within the 80% weight requirement so I feel pretty good but I would like to hear it from experienced rv’ers . I have found most dealers have not camped in or pulled an AS and the largest thing I have towed is a 7x 12 cargo trailer. Also your recommendation on a weight distribution hitch would be appreciated. Currently I am looking at a Blue Ox , seems to be well made and quiet when towing.
Thanks for any advice , we’re ready to get to streamin’
Betterboat
As reported, you are likely fine with the Toyota for pulling your AS...we pulled with a couple different Tahoe's before moving to a F150 Echoboost. Only caution is the "payload" numbers you should be aware of for your vehicle. Inside drivers door will have a maximum payload weight which includes all passengers inside, the tongue weight of your AS, and any cargo you carry...Toyota's are notorious for being very low payload; my F150 was only 1039lbs, as an example. I had max tow also...but I did not know/understand payloads when I purchased. It pulled the AS no problem, but I was always overloaded! Be safe out there...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tundra payloads, depending on the version, range from 1,200 lbs. to about 1,800. The most common versions are around 1,500. The bigger the cab, the less payload. 4wd reduces it also. There are numerous threads on payload and how to calculate. What a lot of people get wrong is the tongue weight and how you distribute it between the truck axles and the trailer axles. Payload for Tundras include all fluids filled including the gas tank. Driver is not included. Anything you add like a tonneau cover has to be subtracted because it will not be on the door since you did it. If the dealer adds options, they are supposed to put a new door sticker on, but they may not. Look for it.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Tundra payloads, depending on the version, range from 1,200 lbs. to about 1,800. The most common versions are around 1,500. The bigger the cab, the less payload. 4wd reduces it also. There are numerous threads on payload and how to calculate. What a lot of people get wrong is the tongue weight and how you distribute it between the truck axles and the trailer axles. Payload for Tundras include all fluids filled including the gas tank. Driver is not included. Anything you add like a tonneau cover has to be subtracted because it will not be on the door since you did it. If the dealer adds options, they are supposed to put a new door sticker on, but they may not. Look for it.
Just to be clear, when I looked at most all the Tundra's last year, on the lot here in Austin, could not find one super cab Tundra over 1350lbs. I understand you can order them, but seems the dealers (who don't know the door sticker exists in many cases!) will quote the "spec" payload rating without even checking... I know lots of folks have a decent payload with their existing Tundra's, but the new loaded up 4 door super cab models are disappointing in payload for the most part from what I saw. For that matter, so is RAM 1/2T's also can include F150, and GM's if you don't check the door stickers...don't be surprised/dissapointed later... Also, get your AS weighed so you know the tongue weight, as Gene mentioned.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The crew cab does have the lowest payload and most if not all have the very short bed (4.5' if I recall correctly). The double cab has better payload, a 6.5' bed and the rear seats still have a fair amount of room. The (of fashioned) non-extended cab has the highest payload and it is even higher if you don't get 4wd. It would be difficult to find one of those on a lot anywhere, especially in Colorado. The basic truck hasn't changed since 2007, thought there are more and more very expensive versions.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I.. looked at most all the Tundra's last year, on the lot here in Austin, could not find one super cab Tundra over 1350lbs. I know lots of folks have a decent payload with their existing Tundra's, but the new loaded up 4 door super cab models are disappointing in payload
That's why I didn't get a Super Cab.
Giant back seat and a 4.5' bed with reduced capacity.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote