Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I too wish that JC had allowed a little wiggle room.
When loaded for lake camping our AS's axles are carrying 7640LB.
That, along with the 676lbb CCC is a bit annoying... understatement. 🤬

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f9d.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	327386  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilcsak View Post
Yes! The 25FB is what we’re looking for. If we can make it so the tongue weight does not go over 1000 lb. 😊
Should be easy to keep under 1000 lb if you are willing to do some work .We have a 25FB and to keep our tongue weight around 900 we relocated the batteries over the axle (under the fridge) and relocated the spare to the underbelly just past the rear axles using BAL tire carrier.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
Should be easy to keep under 1000 lb if you are willing to do some work .We have a 25FB and to keep our tongue weight around 900 we relocated the batteries over the axle (under the fridge) and relocated the spare to the underbelly just past the rear axles using BAL tire carrier.
TeeHee...yep just you do what AS should have taken the time to do. 😂

"Make no changes, only improvements"
Wally Byam

Todays translation...
...the factory makes no changes and the customer makes all the improvements. 😟

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
...here is hoping the manual reference "...must not exceed 1000 pounds..." is about the hitch on the TV. Many TV hitches are indeed limited to 1000lb tongue weight. Many half ton pickup factory hitches, for example.
Get down and look at the Tundra receiver. It's really beefy, wrapped in a second layer of steel. So much so, a standard receiver pin won't reach across to the other side. I had to use a pin designed for a 2 1/2" receiver.
I suspect the "Tongue weight not to exceed 1000#" is due to the towing limit being 10,000#, not because the receiver can't take a bigger load. Think how much that load skyrockets when you hit a bump!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Get down and look at the Tundra receiver. It's really beefy, wrapped in a second layer of steel. So much so, a standard receiver pin won't reach across to the other side. I had to use a pin designed for a 2 1/2" receiver.
I suspect the "Tongue weight not to exceed 1000#" is due to the towing limit being 10,000#, not because the receiver can't take a bigger load. Think how much that load skyrockets when you hit a bump!
I can also say that my 2012 Tacoma has JUST as beefy a receiver--I'm having to buy longer pins as well--they flat do not reach all the way unless they are for 2 1/2" receivers. I run with a ProPride setup, so I'm quite sure the forces are rather high, in all directions. I have not detected any excessive wear or slop in the system, nor is there any wear on the pin holes in the receiver. Maybe it's a good thing Toyota overbuilt the towing system on these trucks...

BTW, I BENT a Class IV aftermarket 2" receiver system installed on a 79 GMC van while towing a car on a dolly through some bad road conditions. The cross tube as at least 1/2 inch out of straight after the cross-country run. Scary to see! The car and dolly bounced hard enough on a rough road surface that I could see the car in my rear-view mirror. Was a rather crazy winter trip.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
1000 lbs is a static limit only.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
1000 lbs is a static limit only.

Agreed.

Does anyone have any knowledge about what a manufacturer might expect for a range of dynamic load? Do they assume say hitting a 3” pothole at 65 MPH and have some calculation for that that ends up being 10X or something of the static weight?

Just curious.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Agreed.

Does anyone have any knowledge about what a manufacturer might expect for a range of dynamic load? Do they assume say hitting a 3” pothole at 65 MPH and have some calculation for that that ends up being 10X or something of the static weight?

Just curious.
They overload them and do about 150,000 miles on the Proving Grounds (at least the domestic brands I’ve seen tested).

I hit a bad spot on I-75 once with my Ford and trailer that got the whole thing airborne once, didn’t even hurt the alignment. It’s why I buy Big 3 brands and Michelin tires. I stay away from front wheel drives and vehicles with sheet metal suspension components for best durability.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Countryboy59 - I have no idea how they would calculate the force of bump that would send a trailer in flight! Any physicists among us who can help? [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
They haul big nasty looking heavy flatbed trailers at the Proving Grounds. Drivers go in shifts and do nothing but drive the snot out of them day and night. The vehicles literally start rusting after a few months, it’s pretty cool to see. I used to check my company’s components on test vehicles and went on a couple rides. I remember one driver wrote in the comments that they should have auto up windows. I wonder if his suggestion made it to production because my Dodge has the feature.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sebastopol , California
I have owned a 2016 since new. Love the truck! On several trips from Norcal to Portland OR (no trailer) I averaged 27 mpg . Plenty power and torque, nice ride, etc. also have had no issues with reliability. When we got the FC25 FB the specs fell within the Ram’s 7610 lb. towing capacity: 6500 +/- loaded. But, having just completed a 2700 mile trip through Utah/Nevada/Arizona, I found the power lacking (35 mph in 4th gear on long grades), and man does it get hot! Water temp 220+, oil temp 245+!
Yes, it’s a small turbo diesel that is designed to run fairly warm, but I could not get an answer from FCA about what is acceptable temp range.
I could stick with the eco diesel, it is a solid rig, and the trailer did handle well with the WDH. But I’m shopping for a 2500 Cummins. I’d rather have that 50% comfort engineering....
Anyway, your 23’ unit may pull just fine, and if you mostly will tow flat you may not even notice.
Happy Trails!
Glassman484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I understand that Ram has dropped the Eco Diesel as an option. I have a friend that had one about 18 months. He had nothing but trouble with he said. He never gave specifics. He didn't tow with it.
If you Google search Forums, you will find other posts where people have been somewhat disappointed with their Eco Diesel.
If Dodge has dropped the option, that should be a red flag. It was a Fiat diesel anyway.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Since no one from comments I seen has first hand knowledge to your question. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn, 4x4, crewcab, 6'4" bed with the EcoDiesel and I tow a 1982 AS Excella, 27 foot and it tows like a dream. Has tow package and is fully equipped with the bells and whistles. I average 13-15 towing with 3.55 gears and running solo overall anywhere from 22-27, depends on if. its local are some interstate. It has more torque for towing than the hemi regardless of what some have said on here and has plenty of get up and go. The Ecodiesel isn't offered in the 2019 as of yet, but maybe later in the year. By the way I tow in the mountains of NC and VA. frequently and this mileage quoted isn't from a flat lander. Hope this helps. There are probably some new 2018 Ram Ecodiesels still available. The dealer that services mine had one on his lot a few weeks ago.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #34
California Flying Cloud

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Camarillo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilcsak View Post
Wow, that’s a heavy tongue.

The airstream manual I found online for a 25FB says this: “The tongue weight should be approximately 10 to 15% of the trailer’s total weight, but must not exceed 1,000 lb.” For a 7700lb max trailer weight, your 1200 lb is right at 15% but it exceed those 1000lb. I’ve seen others post similar weights, but aren’t you concerned that you’re over the recomended limit by 200lb?

My 25FB tongue weight measures 1040lbs with normal loading. “Normal” to me means the regular items needed just for a weekend trip. I measured it directly with a Sherline scale right at the hitch cup. My dealer confirmed the same with their Sherline. I contacted the factory and was told my trailer TW was measured at 831 when built. Remeasuring after emptying the trailer (which is useless) I could get no less than 900lbs. My WD hitch keeps it all level but with passengers my TV rear axel is maxed or worse. I really feel the brochure specs are not true guidance when buying.
52HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #35

1977 27' Overlander
Palmdale , California
Ram Ecodiesel

I have a 2014 ram eco-diesel and I tow a 19 77 27 foot airstream with it with no problem. I get about 30 to 31 miles to the gallon on the freeway 21 miles to the gallon on the streets. Towing I get 15 to 17 miles to the gallon with this Airstream. I’ve never had a problem pulling hills or driving towing this airstream plenty of power And torque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD89E892-5C51-43F4-B0B5-99F4F90409E1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	327848  
Kubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
You should be fine for a 22’. They get great gas mileage for a daily driver. Would also consider the 2.7 Ford eco boost. Same capacity. Cheaper. And as ecomical.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
2015 RAM 1500 ECO-Diesel with 100K on it.

We bought our ECO-Diesel for towing and camping - period. It was new in Nov of 2014. Since that time we have done many short trips into the wilderness in Northern Ontario, traveled across Canada from Ottawa to Victoria along the northern route and this last April we did the west coast highway from Victoria to San Diego and return. We also have gone through one motor at 15K which was covered by the warranty - so we know about the negative side of losing your brand new truck for a month. That said . . .

Our trailer tow has averaged out at 6000lbs for most journeys. We have filled the truck bed with gennies, motorcycles, gear and towed a fish boat behind the trailer as well. We added TIMBREN(s) this past year to the rear suspension and put a 1000lb Palomino Bronco camper in the bed (just so know one criticizes we do NOT tow the trailer with camper in). We also travel with Dogs and are very conscious of the weight of the truck, especially on gravel mountain roads on Vancouver Island where we live.

The truck has always pulled beyond expectation - we call it the "little diesel that could". That said we tow at 100KMH - 65MPH. At that speed on the west coast I5 - we average about 14.5L per 100 KM - or 16.5 US MPG. On the US 101 at 80KMH - 55MPH we average 10 L per 100 KM or 24 US MPG. These numbers are with the all camping gear, dogs, etc. Without the tow she averages on the highway about 7.5L per 100 KM or 31.5 US MPG.

I like this small diesel but have had my fair share of aggravation with the new technology. Oil changes were very expensive the first few years - good thing I had the first one done at the dealership as that blown engine at 15K was the result of someone putting the wrong oil in (retail of the long block was $26K). The price of oil has come way down now as has the price of DEF fluid. If you drive the truck slowly it will get into frequent REGEN issues - but not while you are towing. We live in a small hilly and speed limited community - Victoria BC - and I would not recommend the ECO-Diesel for a daily driver here. But if you spend at least 10 min above 80KMH an hour a day you will have no issues with REGEN.

We factory ordered this crew cab 4 X 4 SLT - with the light brown cloth interior and all of the upgraded electronics, mirrors and tow package. Built in Navigation has been a must have in a tow as well as the extra length and utility of the mirrors with all our tows and carries..

So what is the big downside? Being passed by a big one tonne Diesel towing a large fifth wheel at 125KMH? LOL. Not an issue for us. If you live on the prairie or steppe you will love this truck. I would suggest that if you tow regularly through the mountains and want to go fast - you will need a bigger truck and a bigger diesel. We have adjusted our pace to 500KM per day from 800 KM per day and like the slower pace - gas mileage and reliability of this truck. That said the other trucks - Nissan, Ford and GM are now offering little diesels as well and I would look at the them if I were buying presently. The total weight of the train needs to be considered as well as the cost of Diesel versus Petrol. In Canada Diesel is still cheaper than Petrol and the diesel gets better mileage and pulls steadier than a gas engine does.

It would be interesting to look at this post a year for now and get some comparison to the Ford and the GM. My truck is approaching that magic 5 year point and keeping it debt free versus maintenance costs over the next 5 years will also be an interesting comparison.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We suggest you go on line to those professionals who rate trucks and SUV's performance. You will get lots of bias opinions here. Personally I vote for the F150 on performance and ratings by professionals...certainly do buy AMERICAN!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #39
Retired, "sort of"

2015 25' International
Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Tumajin Send a message via Skype™ to Tumajin
FCA EcoDiesel

I tow our 25RB AS with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. We have logged nearly 30,000 miles towing with 75,000 on the odometer. In all those miles, we have had no breakdowns or problems with the Jeep. Mileage while towing ranges from 16-19 depending on terrain, etc. I usually limit towing speed to 60 or less and use the manual shift option on hills to optimize engine performance and keeping engine temps in range. My towing style is such that the EcoDiesel has worked very well for me. If you want to tow fast and hard up hills, I would recommend another tow vehicle.
Tumajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4×2 Quad cab 6'4" 3:92 ratio rear axle, it has a ZF-8HP70 Transmission. I have 63,000 miles on it and have not had any issues with it. We put 10'724 miles on it this summer out west and northwest. On grade was 4.4 miles at 12%. Trans temp went to 201 briefly. I get 15 plus towing 1998 31ft Classic trailer, its gvw is 8,300 lbs. I get 21mpg in town and 29 on hwy. at 65 on the cruise. I weight my tongue with Sureline then go to truck stop and scale out rig. I've upped my axles from 4,000 to 5,000 because we travel up to 3 months at a time and the wife likes to carry a lot of stuff (shoe-etc). The trailer typically weighs 8500--8600 lbs. My specs are: 3700 steering ,3900 drive axle, 8,950 max. trailer weight. The only thing I have a problem with is my drive axle. I previously towed with a 1998 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins, I went from 2,950lbs to 1,610lbs. I gave up 1,340 lbs pay load. My solution is weigh,weigh weigh. BTW I'm a retired OTR truck driver, 110, 000 miles per year. Typically tow at 60 mph highway speeds 70psi tire pressure MAXXIS load range E. My opinion on the ECODIESEL it's a great little towing truck and it rides like a car, coil springs all around and I installed Timbrens also instead of air bags. My 2 cents worth.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote