Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Shreveport , Louisiana
Totaled 2005 25 CCD up for auction today/tomorrow

Want to let anyone interested know that our 2005 25' CCD that was in a rollover accident on 7/1/07 is finally up for auction. (linked to thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/our-loss-35568.html)

If anyone is interested I can email you the details of the auction or post it in this thread. (if that is appropriate)

I believe bids can be made today, although the live internet auction is tomorrow.

I hate to see what was once a beautiful piece of airstream art be turned into scrap metal and hope that some visionary airstreamer can find something of value in the rubble.

Joy

"Learn from the mistakes of others - you can never live long enough to make them all yourself." John Luther
gardenofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
From the pictures of the accident there is not much to be saved from your trailer...
The good news is that you survived. How is the dog?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Well it looks like it has a good electric jack on the front.....

Man that picture is amazing......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ken, I wouldn't go over $100 if you just want the jack

Did you see the TV?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
I just looked at the most recent insurance auction photos and I'm afraid someone has already helped themselves to the electric jack (I can't post the photos because they have copyright restrictions)...I also noticed the rear tail lights have been removed.

But the tires and wheels look like they are still there. And I guess when I thinking of part salvage, the tires/wheels and axels, door were the things that came to mind.

The tires were brand new maxxis, with about 80 miles.

I have nothing to gain from the auction. The insurance co now owns it; I just thought someone might be able to gain an odd part or two from it. Here's the info: IAAI stock #3266938

Joy
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
The good news is that you survived. How is the dog?
[/quote]

Richard, the dog is doing great, quite the trooper...although she now resists getting in the car to go for a ride.

I still don't understand how she was ejected and had only a little scratch on her...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for offering up the bits & pieces Joy. Unfortunately, it appears that in order to look at the items for auction through IAAI, you must be registered as a Buyer (which costs $200) or as a guest (for a reoccuring $50 monthly fe. Am I missing a 'back door' somewhere?

I found the listing, but click to get more info and get this pop-up below. So, it doesn't look like it will be accessible to most folks here...even though there may be some takers!

Hope all this has been resolved to your satisfaction with the insurance company and you do eventually get another Airstream...and of course I am thrilled to here that your pup is okay too!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	48209  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenofjoy
I hate to see what was once a beautiful piece of airstream art be turned into scrap metal and hope that some visionary airstreamer can find something of value in the rubble.

Joy
Joy, I've never seen one wrecked that badly, and when I look at your tow vehicle I really think you were all actively participating in a miracle to have survived.

I don't think there's any amount of will or imagination that can rehab that Airstream, but you should think of it as reincarnation (or reinAIRation). That scrap aluminum will be bought by Alcoa, melted down, formed into a roll of aluminum, clearcoated and sent to Jackson Center, Ohio where it will be turned into a new Airstream!

Live long and prosper! Paula
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
Thanks Paula, that is encouraging to know that it may be recycled one day....It just broke my heart to see it sitting there where vehicles go to die (junkyard), awaiting its fate....
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Joy

When I see those pictures and realize that you guys got out, and so did the pup, and you are able to post pictures of it even though it is in such brutal shape, I can't help but think you have angels on your shoulders.

I've sadly seen a few of my much loved vehicles experience a sudden and unhappy demise over the years (mostly in my early years, thank heavens), and it is always a major disappointment. There's a few less Chevelle's, a couple of late sixties Corvette's, and a '55 and '63 Bel Air hardtops, and several motorcycles in this world - or perhaps they are beer cans now.

I've learned to count my blessing, kiss mother earth from time to time and then just get back at "it" and do my best to pick up where I left off.

Hopefully you'll see your way clear in the not too distant future to get back into an Airstream and get out and enjoy this incredible hobby we enjoy so much. In the meantime, we are just glad to know you are well, and able to get on with life.

Take care,
Barry
Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Amazing you walked away from it. Glad yer OK, but I agree with what has been said, from the looks, there isn't much to salvage.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
safari57 and silvertwinkle,

We will be back out living in aluminum one day. day at a time right now. WE incurred a significant loss in the accident, time off work, and sadly since we were moving from California to Louisiana, we have not been able to sell our home in California.

So, once everything get's settled down financially and my husband finishes school (orthopaedic surgery -hip or knees anyone?), we will be back into the airstreaming life that I have dreamed about since I was a little girl growing up in Florida.

Till then, I will just admire your trips from a distance......

Joy
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You are welcome. Sometimes dreams get put on hold for a while, but they are way more enjoyable once realized . Good luck with the house sale - that is always stressful.

Nice '69 by the way. Hope it made the move with you.

Barry