Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Thumbs up today's the day!

Nic and I are in MT today, and going to be picking up our new Bambi this afternoon. Can't wait!!

Went by the dealership yesterday (Bretz RV) to have a pre-look. The sales guy was fantastic, unfortunatley the management has lived up to their billing. There should be a sign on the wall that says "We believe in win-lose, and the customer is ALWAYS wrong". A long story with an ridiculous ending, It was not a fun conversation yesterday. I highly recommend NOT purchasing from these bozos in the future.

Regardless, the trailer looked great but we will go through it with a fine tooth comb today. We'll post some pictures later!!

b.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Brad,

I have the same tube and a horror story about the delivery process also. Situation sounds very similar. Hope you make out OK. If you have any questions or problems and need a 'professional advisor' feel free to PM me.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We stopped in at Bretz a couple of weeks ago to check out the latest with Airstream. They only had three of them although their lot was overflowing with other makes. They did not have an Airstream brochure. We asked about info on the 75th SE. The salesman hadn't heard about it. He was quite up front in saying we knew a lot more about Airstreams than he.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
We asked about info on the 75th SE. The salesman hadn't heard about it. He was quite up front in saying we knew a lot more about Airstreams than he.
We know what you mean! I suggested looking at 'new' just as the 2006 25' FB SE came out last June. One dealer had a 2005 FB on the lot (bad suicide door design for 2005! Only 5 ever made IIRC.) but was really in the dark about the SE option. We bought from another dealer -- and we knew a lot more about this new model than they did, but this was July '05 after all... To remain that ignorant about Airstream's hottest offering is inexcusable. Kinda tells you where the SOBs fit in their priorities!

The only advantage to a Montana purchase is a dicey one at that! See here and here.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi all,, just have to reply to this post,,,, that particular rv dealership in Missoula Montana is a well oiled machine,,,, they admit not knowing much about streams,,, purchased my Bambi there new in 2004. bottom line,, they are the only game in town for quite a distance,,, and had it not been for them,,, would not be a streamer now,, was love at first sight,,, Happy Easter! donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
Soorry to hear that. Let airstream know of your experience. THere are plety of other deakers that would love to sell thier porducts.
I wlaked away from Bretz when I did not like the way I was being treated. I ended up purchasing on the east coast and I am in the process of towing my baby across the country. I will be at the factory on Monday and Tuesday.

sales@airstream.com

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Bretz DOES have fantastic propane prices during the summer. Or, at least they did through last year.

However, after the abysmal service experience we had there the summer before last, cheap propane is the only thing I'd ever go back there for.

John
Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
reporting from Jim and Mary's in Missoula!!

Well, the bambi is officially hooked up to the Pathfinder, and low and behold I didn't "need a new tow vehicle", but thanks regardless to the tow vehicle alarmists. We are hooked to water, power, and the coach is absolutely awesome. I can't even tell you happy we are with the trailer. It's raining cats and dogs in Missoula tonight and we love the fact that none of it is hitting the floor inside our trailer.

The experience at Bretz was even worse today. I have never in my life been treated so poorly by a company. They are the absolutely the most unprofessional people I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, if Karma catches up, they are unsalvagable. Today, he mentioned that they couldn't install it as they don't deal with that hitch. They were "very sorry that you bought that hitch, it's a very poor hitch." The business managerhad the nerve to call me dishonest to my face.

After the delivery appointment started 45 minutes late and the delivery guy did a very, very good job, although he knew less about the coach than I did, we were left in the rain to set up my hitch. They wouldn't even allow us to use their front door canpoy, nor would they let us borrow a wrench to do the install. We actually had to drive to Wal-Mart and buy a wrench to use in their parking lot.

The only positive was the salesperson, Richie who I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone. I can't recommend Bretz RV however. Letters are being written as we speak.

Only a couple issues with the coach:

1. The tank monitor is malfunctioning and is reading the grey tank as completely full although it is empty. Any help on this appreciated.
2. The LP tanks are mounted crooked (no biggie)
3. Some classic 'ugly' cuts and finishes.
4. Minor scratches on the interior and exterior skin (no biggie).
5. May not be a specific problem but the stereo doesn't seem to have a option to plug in my ipod. If anyone can help with this one I'd appreciate it. I assume I need to use an FM modulator for that to work.

Other than that, as I mentioned, it is absolutely FANTASTIC. I took a bunch of pics and will upload soon. Thanks to everyone on this site for the wisdom, I felt completely prepared for delivery of the trailer and we're right at home already.

cheers,
b.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sorry your experience was so horrible. I can't imagine not letting you use the canapy but not letting you have a wrench and this after they wouldn't touch the hitch is terrible.

In your Airstream book there is a paper on the monitor and tells how to recalibrate the monitor system.

You should be able to get a standard RCA cord from Ipod to radio, I think.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
5. May not be a specific problem but the stereo doesn't seem to have a option to plug in my ipod. If anyone can help with this one I'd appreciate it. I assume I need to use an FM modulator for that to work.

cheers,
b.
Hi B....I just put in a Sony X-Plod CDX-GT100. It has the auxiliary jack in the front to hook up your i-Pod and doubles for headphones. 52w x 4. Cost was about $100 and an easy install. Got it at Best Buy. Also LED face is a nice Airstream blue

PS..also you can pick up the FM i-Trip on ebay for less than $20...works well.

Good luck with your "New" toy!!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
ok so I was tired.......

Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
The experience at Bretz was even worse today. I have never in my life been treated so poorly by a company. Dave Bretz is the absolutely the most unprofessional man I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, if Karma catches up, he is unsalvagable. Today, he mentioned that they couldn't install it as they don't deal with that hitch. He was "very sorry that you bought that hitch, it's a very poor hitch." - whatever Daver. Phil Ryan, the business manager is in the pathological liar club and had the nerve to call me dishonest to my face.
b.
Don't know what type of hitch you have, but it must be a BAD one!

One of my many problems with Bretz also involved our Reese HP dual cam hitch. Their service manager told me they had NEVER seen or worked on a Reese hitch before, which I found incredible. He said everybody in Montana, and I suppose every other person who has ever been at the dealership - what do they have 45 servcie bays at that "small" dealership? - only use Equilizers.

John
Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
First night report!

John,

The "very poor hitch" I bought is an Equal-i-zer. Seemed to work just fine and was a snap to install. We just didn't have a big enough wrench for the hitch head install. Pretty amazing about your Reese experience as that's what they carry now. We'll make sure to give an extra one finger salute on our way out of town for you.

First night was really neat and spent alot of it staring at the bunk on top of me . Not necessarily a space issue just getting used to the sounds etc. of the trailer. Playing with airflow. We don't have an opening side window in the back due to the overhead bunk. I left the canopy of our 2nd fantastic fan open to create some flow but it seemed to battle with the furnace. I'm going to play with a few of the systems this morning and see how everything works but so far there's been no problems other than what's been mentioned.

We've got the disco station tuned and just showering up. We'll report from wherever we end up tonight!

cheers,
brad.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Brad,

We've Equalizers on both of our ASs...installed as part of our "going down the road" agreements with our Dealer in Sandy Utah. Your 19er with an upper bunk is the first I've heard of. Will be interested in seeing photos. Ours has a settee in place of the dinette.....each to his own.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Fresh pics!

Some pics of today in the new Bambi! The travel from Missoula to Great Falls was awesome. Took Highway 200 to I-15, over two mountain passes and never once felt any problems with our combo. We couldn't be happier with this unit.

We'll spend out second night in it tonight and should sleep better. All down the road today, we just couldn't believe how fun it was to just cruise along and not really care what time we get there....wherever "there" is.

Our 'very poor equalizer hitch" was awesome, btw. We were passed by several semi's and prevost buses and had no perceivable sway. You can definitely feel the trailer behind the pathfinder but I think that's a good thing.

Photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bretz-sucks.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	20583   Click image for larger version

Name:	day-2-037.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	20584  

Name:	day-2-030.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	20585   Click image for larger version

Name:	day-2-025.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	20586  

Name:	day-2-021.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	20587   Click image for larger version

Name:	day-2-014.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	20588  

Old 04-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Awsome set up. Have a great time!

Marie
Old 04-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
That inside picture of your trailer sure looks cool, and cozy, but what's that the 2 of you are wearing in that outside pciture -- shorts? Don't you know it's still winter?

Good thing that bad hitch worked ok, because going across Hwy 200 you could have had a long way to go if you would have needed some repairs.

I know it's not the best weather for your trip, but being a fisherman who spends my summer in that part of the world, I'm also glad to hear about that rain you're encountering. Maybe you just brought some of your last year's rain south with you.

John
Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #18
_

. , .
congrats bradk on the new trailer......

looks dandy behind the pathfinder......

and your shakedown trip is going well.....

instead of telling us how horrible this dealer is......

why not just describe or list the issues/problems/behaviors....

and let us decide.....

your delivery appt started late and they wouldn't install your hitch...

late happens, but it's worse when you are wanting the trailer so badly...

would they not install the hitch as part of the price, did they want a fee, or just wouldn't do it...perhaps you're better off having done it yourself....

2 things?.....was that it or did they do other things to get you so fired up?

many of us will be traveling by their place this summer and may need service....so knowing what they did or didn't do....is useful.

the tank monitors are famous for mis-reading and the calibration/recalibrations instructions are posted here....
make sure the trailer is dead level when you do this...

sometimes the lp tanks have stuff under the rim and sit crooked...usually they can be repositioned and snugged pretty straight.

if the scratches aren't completely through the finish (finger nail test)
try some meguiar's scratchX....worked great on my delivery scratches...
but test a spot...ymmv.

the photos look great...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
Hey you passed within a mile of my new place on 200! You will have to stop in and visit some time.
Nice trailer. My baby and I are headed to the factory tomorrow. I will see who you can send the letters to.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Meguiar's ScratchX?

Expediency is the mother of ....

Sounds like Bretz works when nothing else is nearby. A very helpful Forums member, Karyn, is affiliated with the Spokane Airstream dealership. I would suggest talking to more than one dealer if possible.

Michelle -- Interesting hearing about your saga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
if the scratches aren't completely through the finish (finger nail test) try some meguiar's scratchX....worked great on my delivery scratches... but test a spot...ymmv.
2air'? Given the plastic bases of clearcoat finishes, I can follow how this might blend edges of a scratch. Do you follow with any wax or Walbernize application?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote