Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
PJohnson

Hopefully someone didn't stear you wrong intentially or cause you harm with bad advice.

I would surmise you are a bit older as you are retired and maybe not real active on social media. In 8 years you have 104 posts, so one a month or so.

My point being you may have been on this forum when it was more idea sharing of knowledge versus constant chatter of sometimes useless banter. (Bad grammer run on sentence sorry)

I have been lucky to be quickly corrected several times here when I gave poor advice. I always apologized afterwards.
No, “someone didn’t steer me wrong...”. In fact, I have been absent on this forum for quite some time. I have offered thoughts and advice about subjects that I know a lot about. I also used to send new Airstream owners to this forum.
I only recently answered a couple of posts because I started receiving the ‘AIR Forums’ newsletter. I was not prepared for the quantity of bad advice presented in this forum,nor was I prepared for the ‘put downs’ some of the respondents make when they think the have found a weakness in another’s post.

I do understand why a number of folks at Airstream say that this forum needs to go away. I am old school and have been around the internet since it became public. At that time, most of the information transmitted over the network had value. At the present time, the social aspects of the internet are making it distructive to acceptable behavior.

I am a cancer researcher and have little tolerance for people that do not treat others with respect. In that vein, I have a short fuse and I will definitely respond in kind.

The individual that made assumptions and degrading remarks, about my posts in a recent thread about resealing the roof of a 2013 Airstream, has convinced me that this forum is a waste of my time. We have a saying in the academic world: to assume is to make an ass of ‘u’ and me.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I'm to blame for all of this!
I remarked that I thought it was absurd that he paid more $10,000 at a dealership to have his roof resealed, then as it continued to leak, he towed from Washington state to JC to have it looked at and his AC unit resealed. I suggested a second opinion, and a visit with the attorney general....
This is when I became a troll, and an uneducated person. He just seems nasty to me!
I consider him a new member with just over a hundred posts.... Several posts calling other forum members trolls, and psudo know it all's!
I have my filter on, and consider my doctorate relevant.
Every assumption you made, based on incomplete information, was wrong. The dealership gave me a estimate fo repairing the leak that was approximately $1200. Then they tell me they cannot find the leak and that all the panel seems need to be resealed. They suggested that the AC need to come off to do the job properly. Of course the cost went up dramatically. Then comes the phone call, the skylights needed to come off. The cost goes up again. Then the Fantastic Fan needs to come off. The cost goes up again. Because it was disassembled, I could not take it somewhere else.

As for having Jackson Center repair the AC, I was on my to Atlanta, GA for Cancer research conference when I noticed that the AC was sitting at a severe angle. Closer inspection, revealed that the dealership had glued together styrofoam to use as a gasket for the AC and that parts of The styrofoam were missing. Again your assumption was wrong, my trip to Jackson Center was on my way to Atlanta.

Because the thread was about giving another advice, what part of this scenario was relavent to the discussion. Did I get screwed by the dealership? The answer is yes. What value did your assumptions and disparaging remarks have for the original post? I was clear that you were doing nothing more than using an incomplete explanation of my experience as an way to boost your ego.

BTW — if you prostate needs medical care, just have it surgically removed. Do not consider any other option. After all, my research about better alternatives might be wrong.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Misinformation is usually readily corrected by other users. Differences of opinion will often occur on issues that are less cut and dried, and as long as those opinions are stated politely, that is fine. Personal attacks and insults are frowned upon, and rather than firing back, in those instances I would recommend you use the Report Post icon (it looks like a triangle) and let us moderators sort it out.

Personally I have gotten a lot of use from advice I got while rebuilding my trailer and maintaining it over the years. This is advice I certainly wouldnt have gotten from Jackson Center. Advice online should absolutely be evaluated before acted on - you are the only one responsible for what you do with or to your trailer. In addition, I have met many fantastic people through the forums, and camped with them in real life. My time with my Airstream has very much been enhanced by the existance of these forums.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
PJohnson, sorry the forum is not working for you anymore. You do sound quite angry and frustrated.

Unlike cancer research this is mere opionion, some facts, lots of experience, banter and silliness but still the best collection of Airstream knowledge out there.

Maybe your tolerance for this forum is just done for now. It happens.

Hang in there. And block/ignore those of us whom you find tedious.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

The Argue Thread is a good place . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't believe anyone who has fewer than 3,313 posts.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
I mean 3,314.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
um, 3,315.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
I do understand why a number of folks at Airstream say that this forum needs to go away.
I would say the Basecamp and now Nest threads are a perfect example of why Airstream would like this forum to go away. While you tell new owners about it, imagine what would happen if people told future new owners to read it

Quote:
I am a cancer researcher and have little tolerance for people that do not treat others with respect. In that vein, I have a short fuse and I will definitely respond in kind.
Then you are a part of the problem you complain about.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Your first reply disappeared. You sir, are magic.
There is a ten-minute Edit window which includes the option of deleting one’s entire post. Sometimes it pays to wait at least that long, or Quote the person, to reply in a thread which is contentious IMO.

I deleted the earlier post because it went too far, and I had the self-awareness to delete it.

. . . and the humility . . .

Yes, that was intended as a joke!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said RandyNH.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
My question is this, how do we filter the experts from the pseudo experts?
. . .
Just curious about the heading at the top of your first post.

“To Many Pseudo Experts”

Did you mean to write “To” or would “Too” have better caught your drift?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I find the “experts” (read: amateurs) offering their free advice amusing.

It’s the “experts” that get paid to slap a makeshift receiver on a lightweight passenger car then hook it to a +9000 pound 30’ trailer- those are the ones I find alarming.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The definition of an expert:

An "ex" is a has-been.
A "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #35
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My assumption was, that you as a researcher, researched the possibility that $10k for $40 worth of goop was wrong.
You keep mentioning assumed.
I assumed nothing, the stated fact was s declaration of a $10k bill to caulk your roof, no assuming based on your statement!
Ego? I am just fine, and don't get fueled by folks like you.
As a side note, I'm very sorry the dealer abused you. If I lived closer to you, I would certainly offer to climb up on your roof and helped you out.
Maybe sometime we could meet, and enjoy stories about where we have been in these leaky contraptions!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #36
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The definition of an expert:

An "ex" is a has-been.
A "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Terry,

I’ve been known to quote that one many times. Agreed.

What gets me is the frequent across the board know it all experts. For me to respect that person to be in all fields Airstream related has worn out several trailers, rebuilt a few and a person you’d enjoy campfire tales with.

I’m amazed at some answers but believe them to be keyboard opinions that don’t have the been there done that merit badges sewn on answers from decades of experience or a real crash course hands on diploma.

I’ll admit I’ve missed a few answers.

Got any questions about Dexter disc brakes? Been there, done that.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Wow! My experience of this forum has been completely different! I am humbled at how many folks are willing to spend the time to try to answer some stranger's questions. I hope that all of my posts have helped to somewhat peel back the darkness of ignorance, and I have typically tried to post my opinion or experience and label it as such.

For the amount of info that I was able to get, I feel somewhat compelled to answer whatever questions I can, to repay the huge favor that was granted me. It's the back-and-forth in the threads that helps me to chart my way forward. Many times there isn't one correct answer for any given circumstance, or a new way to do things, or a new wonder product that may or may not work. Who's the "expert" for that?

Personally, I'm quite happy having someone (expert or not) completely tear apart some procedure that I'm contemplating. If I can refute all of their points, I'm on the righteous path. If I see that they have some good points, then they've saved me time, money and frustration. It's a win-win.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I was talking to a fellow Airstreamer at the Salem rally and I thought he explained Airforums perfectly: "Sometimes you have to dig through a lot of c--- to find the good stuff!"
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
"Sometimes you have to dig through a lot of c--- to find the good stuff!"
You just described the internet

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Boy oh boy!

If you think the advice given on this forum is poor, you ought to read some of the advice given on the various Airstream Facebook groups. Downright scary and appalling.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote