Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I too would wait. You are not comfortable with the purchase. Dr. Whitaker from Tacoma area was on speaking about the virus and kept the talk "big picture" rather than details and focused on social distancing, sneezing and coughing in elbow.
Basically it is a new germ and there are few antibodies. Our bodies fight off viral germs by generation (the first flu we had per se) and then we are weaker toward other generations. This corona type is a new generation. Supposedly they are tracking more strains working through animals right now. What they are trying to avoid is overwhelmed medical services. The germ will not die. It represents a bad flu bug and, face it, influenza is the number one viral killer according to CDC.

That said, I would be more concerned fiscally and with regard to facilities closed for some time. Things can change too. Today Japanese doctors came up with a way to kill the virus in four days. Who knows. Camping will not disappear and there are many Airstreams.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
a bad flu bug and, face it, influenza is the number one viral killer according to CDC.

I am responding to dangerous misinformation. It plays into peoples' wish that things were different. A huge minority of people want to believe that "this is just like flu" and "this will all be over in a few weeks" and even "this is all a myth." This bit of misinformation about CV=Flu supports people in their wishful thinking. And that will certainly cause a lot of people to die.

Neither the World Health Organization nor the Centers for Disease Control say this is just "a really bad flu." Nobody makes this claim except for uninformed, non-physician, non-scientist politicians and some of their followers.

It may be true that flu and CV are both "coronaviruses." There's a category confusion here, however. Both monkeys and humans are "hominids." that doesn't make them human. And Pigeons and humans and even fish are in the same phylum. That doesn'tmake me a fish.

The very CDC site quoted does not support this claim that CV is flu. It does not compare Coronavirus to Flu in any way. It does however note that:
An influenza pandemic is a global outbreak of a new influenza A virus. Pandemics happen when new (novel) influenza A viruses emerge which are able to infect people easily and spread from person to person in an efficient and sustained way. ******The United States is NOT currently experiencing an influenza pandemic.*****
Did you get that? We aren't experiencing a flu pandemic. We are experiencing a CV pandemic. Right now, it's CV that's killing people. And the rate of death and the rate of spread is astronomically greater than flu.

In flu season, it's OK to camp.

It's NOT OK in CV season.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
3. I think the smart money says there's going to be an economic ... let's just say "dip." Trailers will get a lot cheaper in a depres... -- I mean, "dip."
I believe you are correct. I would not want to be in the position of selling my trailer because I need cash. Maybe for the next week or two as people panic and have some bizarre idea that a luxury travel trailer is the perfect place to ride out the storm? I don't know where they think they are going to park it, how they will eat (maybe kill wild animals for meat and collect berries?) or why it would be any better than staying in their home, but that's a whole different topic. After the panic buying, lots of people are going to be selling things to raise cash for basic needs.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Suggest that if high risk, that should be priority #1. Odds are almost everyone will be exposed, even son that is ER doc says he will get it due to lack of PPE as med system in N.Y. is already overloaded and no treatment even exists other than breathing assistance for criticals. They are sending non-crit home and asking ppl not to come to hosp if not near crit. The airstream you stress about will be here when C-19 situation improves, but you? This is a bad time to add any stress to a high risk life.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I am responding to dangerous misinformation.... Right now, it's CV that's killing people.....

I’d like to reply to this persons misinformation about correcting misinformation.

China Virus doesn’t kill people. ARDS kills people.
Your CV just makes people susceptible to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

You’re welcome.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:10 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have listened to the talking heads on TV touting disastrous hurricanes, sars, mers, swine flu... and unlike most people I knew about the 1918 pandemic before Downton Abbey... yet, I remained complacent because all the dire warnings were "just boosting the ratings".

Well, duh! Big Gotcha.

In my opinion, even after this pandemic ends, lots of people are going to divert lots of their spending to real disaster preparedness. Freeze dried 5 gal. buckets of food and good masks - will come first. New cars and furniture and bigger houses won't be "need it" items. A great restaurant dinner? Yes... but not very often.

I personally think Prego tastes a lot like my best homemade sauce, and I will hoard and rotate a dozen jars through my cupboard as soon as I can easily buy them.

Recovery vs roaring back? My guess is 2009 all over again.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm with 'ya...'sept for the 'bug out bag', I can bug just fine right where I am.

Walked into the stupid market yesterday with my nose sticking thru the fly of brand new pair of tighty whities, the bagger almost swallowed her m95, but at least folks were laughing.😂

Chin-up folks👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I personally think Prego tastes a lot like my best homemade sauce...
I was with you right up until there. Methinks you need a new recipe!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
The unknown

You’ve posed a very appropriate question (about going ahead with a major acquisition) during these trying times.

Rather than suggest advice, I’ll remark about our situation. Here in southern California we have perfect camping weather almost year-round (hosted a 40+person Rally for our Airstream Club in February and a good time was had by all).

Now all that we took as normal life has changed. The future is unknown for who knows how long. We are both in our early 70’s and take self-sequestering very, very seriously. (In the last 3 weeks, we have been out only once for provisions).

To the point: each day as I tinker around the yard I check on our trailer parked forlornly under it’s carport next to the garage and while I’m following the forum’s posting about maintenance issues (thanks for the tire pressure advice when parked for long periods!) I am sad that we’re not out enjoying more rallies and hosting friends and family who can sleep in our trailer when they visit us (we have full hookups).

Time has stood still. IMHO, this signals that we all hunker down for the duration and not make any decisions that require “normal” enhancements to our lives. We already have a beautiful trailer on our property, BUT, we can’t use it for the foreseeable future.

Please consider that even after you would go thru with the difficulties of purchase, you will then have to deal with caring for your new trailer. It will need attention even as it sits unused. If you are of the type who loves to tinker and make personal improvements (like I do!) then perhaps the purchase is what you should do.

In the words of Stewart Brand (of Whole Earth Catalog fame): possessions are TOOLS. Is your purchase a tool or a white elephant? Only you know. Good luck with your decision and if you’ve gotten this far in my exceedingly long reply, thank you for posting a very relevant question and we sincerely hope to see you (and all of you out there) out camping someday.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I was with you right up until there. Methinks you need a new recipe!
There is no "right" way to make spaghetti sauce. Or pizza. It is all family tradition.

I grew up in a quaint little town that was about 1/3 Italian. Not our family. English! Can you imagine NO oregano, too much sugar and grated Kraft American cheese that came in a red, white and blue can? Really. Chef Boy-r-dee would have been exotic.
That was my "normal" until I made friends with an Italian girl whose grandparents owned an old fashioned Italian store... and made their own pasta noodles, sausage, and sauce. And OMG the olives - salivating onto the phone just from the memory. Learned to grate imported Parmigana cheese ("vomit cheese" to my horrified parents). I have tasted many other premade sauces. What I like best is that Prego is not over-salted so it takes well to adding onioms, meatballs, mushrooms, roast garlic or even cracking a couple of eggs into it. It doesn't take 4 hours to make either.
There are a lot of good sauces out there, some better than mine, but my pot always comes home empty.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To complete purchase now?

My godparents were Siciliano. I grew up learning to cook all kinds of beautiful Italian specialties from scratch. Maternal grandparents were from Vienna. Now that we are a very International family, we cook many styles including all over Asia, German, Nordic, and whatever.

We tend to season our garlic with food, and have a propensity to build serious kitchens with powerful commercial style stoves and big vent hoods that make your ears pop when turned on full power.

Out tent camping, the Dutch oven is the weapon of choice, followed closely by the two burner Coleman camp stove and a well-equipped chuck box. The Airstream is almost too easy.

No beans and weiners for this crew. All the kids are excellent cooks and bakers, just like mom and dad. Truth be told, dad is a darn fine cook. DW is better...

I view the ability to do well in the kitchen a critical survival skill. Nothing more sad than a person that starved in a well equipped kitchen.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Smile Update!

Oh my! Thanks to all of those who offered advise and thoughtful information. I didn't expect this to turn into a debate over the pandemic.

We went forth with the purchase and will hope to enjoy the Airstream in the future. It arrives today. We are considering putting it at the local KOA and offering it to a traveling nurse for the next couple of months to help out during this crisis. They have put a call out for a need in our area.

We hope to see all of you on the road and in the parks soon. Safe and happy trails to you.
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Yucaipa , California
Good for you!

Completed my buy just a couple weeks ago and very glad I did. Being renter I was unsure of what the near future offered and what ever the cost I feel MUCH more confident going forward with an Airstream to fall back upon should worse come to worse.

I think many here while well intentioned were probably of the financially successful ilk, paid cash and think of even luxury items such as an Airstream as an investment. There's a LOT of wisdom in that approach and I try to follow it when I can but have usually had to finance such purchases.

I was concerned about production and what that would do for price and availability. It's a gamble as to wether waiting would pay off financially. I was able to swing it with a payment that if I can't make I'll have more problems than that!

God bless you for lending it out for healthcare workers!
Walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Great decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
Oh my! Thanks to all of those who offered advise and thoughtful information. I didn't expect this to turn into a debate over the pandemic.

We went forth with the purchase and will hope to enjoy the Airstream in the future. It arrives today. We are considering putting it at the local KOA and offering it to a traveling nurse for the next couple of months to help out during this crisis. They have put a call out for a need in our area.

We hope to see all of you on the road and in the parks soon. Safe and happy trails to you.
‘Have to admit, you’ve found a positive in all this! We salute you!
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post

Good for you! I doubt if you will regret it; even if you can't go anywhere in it just yet, you can sit in it and revel in the possibilities AV (after virus), and the virtual freedom.

And bless you for the traveling nurse idea, hope you decide to do it.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To complete purchase now?

Great idea. Also note that letting the Airstream sit in the hot sun for a week or so may heat it up enough to kill any possible viruses on its surfaces.

Coronavirus is killed by temperatures above 150 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Dry and warm conditions for a week or so will also kill them.

Out here in the California desert it’s real easy to get our Airstream that hot in the sun. Dry is even easier.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:10 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Very generous and thoughtful of you!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
It is thoughtful of you, but first make sure the person you allow to use it is familiar with RV living and systems. If not, you could have awful problems with your black tank, etc. I once had a new Navy wife for.a neighbor who flushed disposable diapers...
Little snip got offended when I would not fish them out for her, but only lend her a snake and a big tub to drop them into.

Figuring out how to open the refrigerator door - ack

Light the stove and/or propane oven - ack

Know WHAT a converter IS?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
It is thoughtful of you, but first make sure the person you allow to use it is familiar with RV living and systems. If not, you could have awful problems with your black tank, etc. I once had a new Navy wife for.a neighbor who flushed disposable diapers...
Little snip got offended when I would not fish them out for her, but only lend her a snake and a big tub to drop them into.

Figuring out how to open the refrigerator door - ack

Light the stove and/or propane oven - ack

Know WHAT a converter IS?
Yack! I hadn't even thought of those problems! I hate to say it, but you might want to reconsider the loan.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
We just bought a 2020 27 flying cloud with hatch. 26% off msrp. 4.39% financing. Right now great deals, cheap financing, and high demand for this type of recreation. If job is tenuous or savings not robust i would delay. But we felt like we always wanted an AS and life is too short. This is greatest opportunity to use it will will have until we retire in 30 years.
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote