Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

La Feria , Texas
Thinking of selling my Airstream what should I do?

I'm thinking of selling my airstream. Before I do I'm going to clean it up as best as I can and have an A/C guy come out and services the AC before sell. But, do I need to drop the black tank and clean it? Is there anything else I should do before passing it on?
No1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It would be helpful to tell us what trailer you have. There are issues that are common to certain years and genres, and the community might be better able to tell you specific things to look at.

If you are worried about the contents or the black tank, there are several quick (and DIRTY) techniques to cleanse the interior without dropping the tank. Plenty of sanitizing products as well. One of the common ones is to put a slurry of ice and water in the tank and then drive around making lots of corners so the ice sloshes around and scours the crud off of the inside of the tank.

But, aside from getting it cleaned and detailed, I would download the "trailer inspector's checklist" from the Portal page of these forums, and inspect your trailer thoroughly. That way you know what condition it is actually in, and you don't have to be told that you have leaks, rotting floors or rear end separation. It always amazes me the number of sellers who advertise (in good faith, I assume) that their trailers are fully functional and ready to camp, but they haven't set foot in it in 10 years and have no idea what condition it really is in.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Why did you specifically mention 'dropping the black water tank'? It's not like that is similar to checking all of the tire pressures.

What problem/issues have you had, out of the thousand or there about items that are in-play during a sale/purchase, with the black tank that you decided to separate that one, very specific item?

When buying a used vehicle if the seller tells me, without asking, that "the transmission is in great shape" I'm walking unless I know without a doubt that I can have the tranny fixed and still be a good deal no matter what is wrong with the transmission. ...for example.

Just saying, you may have a perfectly logical reason to point that one item/system out.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1up View Post
I'm thinking of selling my airstream. Before I do I'm going to clean it up as best as I can and have an A/C guy come out and services the AC before sell. But, do I need to drop the black tank and clean it? Is there anything else I should do before passing it on?
It is currently a sellers market and Airstreams are in big demand. List it in the classifieds for a bit more than you want and see what happens. Be honest with your listing and adjust your price if you need to.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

La Feria , Texas
Oh, idk, I just thought it might be a good idea... I'd hate to buy a new camper and have to clean someone elses waist that's all.

The only problem I've ever had with it is the AC. Last night the fan wouldn't kick on. When it did it would run then make a squealing noise. I have a repair man coming this week. Just clean and re-cocked the rest room. Looks new! And I'm in the process of getting a steam cleaner to clean it out really good. (Not that's it's terribly dirty) I just want to make sure it's as close to new as I can get it is all.

It's a 2018 22FB sport.
No1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Run a batch of any of the "normal" cleaners through the black tank and then hook up the hose to the flush input. Let it rinse for a half hour to an hour. It will be nice and clean at that point.

Run the usual bleach + water combo into the fresh water tank. Pump it out through each of the valves. in the trailer. Then repeat with at least three tanks of fresh water. At that point the fresh water system should be pretty clean.

Next, grab a compressor and blow out all the lines. Not as good as anti-freeze, but probably adequate if done right. Do the blow out and disconnect on the hot water at the same time. Why? We are headed into the cold part of the year. Give the poor trailer a chance if it gets someplace cold before the new owners realize all they need to do.

Have somebody take a look at the brakes and give you some sort of written statement about their condition.

Plug the trailer into shore power and let the batteries charge for at least 24 hours. Then check them for fluid level. If needed add distilled water. Keep them charged up through the selling process.

At this point you are *way* past what many people do when selling an RV .... Total cost other than the brake check is pretty modest.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
In this market I wouldn't worry much about prepping. Besides the market being quite brisk you never know what matters and what doesn't to some potential buyer(s). What may be a big deal to you is meaningless to someone else. Put your price on it, run and ad and prepare to be Airstreamless.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
re-cocked the rest room??

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1up View Post
Oh, idk, I just thought it might be a good idea... I'd hate to buy a new camper and have to clean someone elses waist that's all.

The only problem I've ever had with it is the AC. Last night the fan wouldn't kick on. When it did it would run then make a squealing noise. I have a repair man coming this week. Just clean and re-cocked the rest room . Looks new! And I'm in the process of getting a steam cleaner to clean it out really good. (Not that's it's terribly dirty) I just want to make sure it's as close to new as I can get it is all.

It's a 2018 22FB sport.
Is this your way of saying you have a new husband or boy friend?
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote