Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
The Making of a Boomerstream - Part 1 of 3

The 1992 Excella 25' looked fairly decent on the outside. We are now calling it Boomerstream One.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior-2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	227446

Shot minutes after we paid owner at our meeting spot in the Can-Am parking lot in London, Ontario on July 31, 2014.

Outside, it could pass for a fairly new one to the uninitiated. The inside decor was essentially as it came from the factory. The carpet had been replaced once, but was badly warn and stained in the high traffic areas. The carpet had to go anyway because our dog sheds hair constantly. We planned for a sweepable floor. Our design criteria was as follows.

Firstly, the original interior, although built in 1991, looked like a time warp. Think a summer cottage out of the 1970s. Wood— fake and real—everywhere! To me, this indicated that Airstream management had all the creative imagination of the Kremlin in the era before CCD redesigned the interiors for them. I don't think the factory changed much in the interior design since the 1960s at least. Although we couldn't make it match the modern aluminum, bright skylights, and multiple-windows look of the International CCD models, we wanted the interior to look more like a modern designer condo, rather than a 50-year-old cottage. We love the brightness and spacious look of white, hence we would pattern the look and feel of the trailer after our house that has taken us two years to redo the way we want it. In some ways we now have a matching Airstream and house. How cool is that! The entire trailer interior is white (wife does 98% of the painting), except for the bottom third of the bedroom, which my wife wanted in gray.

Second, the trailer was originally designed for family use, maximizing sleeping areas. There are twin beds in the rear, and the couch pulled out into another sleeping area, which could take two adults or a few kids. With us, we just needed sleeping for two retired boomers, traveling with a dog. Hence, the Boomerstream was born. It would have a fresh modern interior design, more suitable for a couple than a family. Bright, simple, and zen like. Besides drawing inspiration from our house, inspiration also came from Matthew Hofmann's Airstream remodels which I love.

The area least changed would be the bedroom, and the most would be the living area. We figured the couch could be replaced by a couple of reclining chairs more suitable for relaxing in front of a large TV. The floor would be a laminate more suitable to cleaning dog hair. All interior lighting would be super-efficient bright white LEDs.

The following shows the result of 4 months and hundreds of hours of constant effort. We figure it cost roughly $3,000 in material. Our labour…priceless!

Unfortunately for us, when we removed the night table between the beds to remove the carpet, my wife went throughout the floor. The rotten subfloor would have to be replaced before we could start renovations. I didn't sign up for this!

Name:	Rot-1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	227447

There was extensive water damage to the whole back of the trailer. Eventually I had to remove and replace the entire subfloor from the rear to over four feet out. I spent three days caulking the outside of the trailer everywhere, and seemed to have solved 98% of the water issues.

Name:	Rot-2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	227448

After three weeks of constant work (never again), the frame was restored, new insulation installed, and new marine-grade plywood subfloor was installed (two sheets at $100 each), and we were ready for the main flooring.

Name:	Subfloor-new.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	227449

At least with the rear gutted, everything could be fixed, redone and repainted. This is a shot of the new flooring throughout the trailer:

Name:	Floor-new.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	227458

The original idea was to use a traditional laminate floor, but the water issue dictated a change in thinking. We opted to use vinyl planks. It is totally waterproof, but is heavier and more expensive than the traditional wood laminate. Also the colour selection is limited. It took us a while to find the light gray that we wanted to compliment the white interior. I believe that anyone who puts traditional house laminate in a trailer is asking for trouble.

It took two weeks to do the floor since 85% of the planks needed to be precisely cut using custom templates. I needed dozens of custom templates just to do 120 sq feet or so. Never again! Now for the interior decoration.

BATH - BEFORE & AFTER

Name:	Bath-old.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	227451

Standard trailer bathroom. Old Moen tap and yellow plastic sink (ugh!).

Name:	Bath-new1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	227452

New Euro faucet with glass sink. New countertop matches the galley. Aluminum blind. The worst challenges in the whole reno was mating the obsolete poly-B plumbing to the new fixtures. A total nightmare getting something watertight. The kitchen was insane—more later!

GALLEY - OLD & NEW

Name:	Galley-old.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	227453

This is the interior that most owners are familiar with. Old stainless double sink was way too wide and shallow and takes up way too much valuable counter space. The original counter was in fairly sad shape around the stove. There was only 7" between the stove and sink—almost no working counter space. My wife saw the original spice rack right behind the stove burners, and said that no woman designed the Airstream.

Name:	Galley-new1b.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	227455

New Formica countertop (white marble) with large single sink. The sink is 8" deep! There is now 17' counterspace between the sink and stove. Faucet is a Pfister with a pull-down. Backsplash is a plastic material that looks like stainless. Connecting the plumbing was insane. The cabinet doors had been previously removed and I had my entire torso twisted inside the left cabinet to do the final plumbing connections. I figured there is no way an average size plumber could do it. I barely fit, and I am only 5' 5".

Name:	Galley-new-LEDs.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	227456

Here is a shot of the galley with the new LED lighting that I designed. The PO had replaced almost all bulbs inside the trailer with LED replacements. Unfortunately, the ugly old '90s fixtures remained. I wanted something totally modern. Above the sink is an 24" LED strip consisting of two 12" glue-on strips designed for automotive running lights. They are bright! The bulb above the stove in the range hood was replaced with a 20-LED square also designed for auto use. It needed a custom-designed mounting system. It is also far brighter than the original. All LEDs in the picture draw about 0.75A total!

(cont'd. in Part 2)
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
The Making of a Boomerstream - Part 2 of 3

VIEW FROM THE DOOR - BEFORE & AFTER:

Old:

Name:	Looking in-old.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	227460

Original view from the door looking in. Wood everywhere! Real walnut cabinets. Wood laminate on some walls with wood moulding. Fake wood on refrigerator! Wood, wood everywhere, and none of it matching!

Tah-dah!!

Name:	Looking in-new1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	227461

All appliances are in now in contrasting black. The cabinet top on right matches the galley and bathroom.

LOUNGE AREA - OLD & NEW

Old:

Looking in at the original lounge area. At least the dog liked the couch. Behind the couch is the battery area.

Name:	Living-old.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	227462

New version:

Name:	Living-new2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	227463

I made a custom two-level battery box and shelving. The only thing salvaged is the battery cut-off switch and the pull handle from under the old couch. The front of the box is a removable cover with magnetic catches. This way I can easily access the battery stuff. The original 90s light fixtures under the cabinets were replaced with LED spotlights. I have a second identical set in the bedroom under the rear cabinets. The second reclining chair & ottoman is in the house until needed where my wife uses it to watch TV and fall asleep (often).

This is a picture of the 32" TV, mounted on an articulated wall mount. (I left the stand on the bottom for now because the TV is used in the house until needed in the trailer.)

Name:	TV-2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	227464

PERSPECTIVE LOOKING BACK:

Old:

Name:	Perspective-old.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	227465

Did I mention wood, wood, everywhere and none of it matching? Wood and carpeting…so 1970s!. I liked this myself back in the 70s. Now...

Perspective new:

Name:	Perspective-new1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	227468

I used the piece cut out for the stove to make a matching counter self. It is bigger than the original. Notice the plywood cutting board covering the sink. It sits on rubber cushion material on the rim of the sink and has rubber feet that sit tight in the four corners of the sink to keep it in place. It can sit on its four rubber feet between the sink and stove, if the sink is being used.

View of the cabinets between the galley and bedroom:

Name:	Cabinets-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	227466

There were more mirrors in this trailer than in my house! The wardrobe cabinet and the two vertical bedroom cabinets all had mirrors (four total). They were replaced with wainscotting that matches our house.

Looking forward from the bedroom:

Name:	Bedroom-out2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	227467

The two horizontal cabinets in the bedroom were removed. Open space above the beds was more important than bedroom storage. The folding accordion door was replaced with a curtain for now.

(cont'd. in Part 3)
Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
The Making of a Boomerstream - Part 3 of 3

Updated with addition of a shelf made from the sink cut-out:

Name:	shelf-2a.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	227469

The Boomerstream One as she looks on the outside:

Name:	Boomerstream One-outside1c.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	227470

Ready for her maiden voyage!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Fantastic. But where does your wife sit?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Boomstream is looking quite updated and sleek. Nice work.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Snazzy looking interior upgrades. I hope you get many happy miles in your new home on wheels after all that work!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Really nice work! Congrats!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
A huge transformation Craig and now it is how you wanted it to be, and if anything needs to be changed, etc you know all the details. Enjoy, travel and have fun.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Outstanding renovation!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love the reno, but...
I like my spice rack-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good to see this. And needs to be linked to another set of Qs I just read from someone.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
I'm so glad slowmover brought up this old post. The original looks like our 91 25'. I think I'll copy some of these modifications. You and your wife did a marvelous job.
sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote