Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #21
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thanks Frank and Marcus for setting me straight. You're correct,the thread has wandered.

One of the things I've always liked about The Vap is the interviews that Tim and the boys did over the years. Expecially the Uwe and Pee Wee interviews. A suggestion for the guys. How about an interview with AndyR, the owner of this site? I think you could successfully argue that Airforums and The Vap at the two biggest things on the 'net re Airstreams. What does anybody think the future holds for this type of venue? It can only get better, IMHO.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Damon pretty much hit it on the head. We feel the show has run its course and its time to out on a high note.

Thanks for all the dedicated years of listening, input, donations, sharing of great information and stories from you guys!

It was a great run!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Please, say it ain't so, Tim.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I think im going to cry!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Tim, Rob, and Colin,

First, thanks for taking my question this week on my Marvel fridge door. I don't feel quite so crazy wanting to do what I want to do with it now.

As a real noob around here, I can't tell you guys how much your podcasts have meant to me as I've been ripping my old '57 apart. Without you, I don't think I'll have any need for iTunes anymore. As much as I hate to see you go, I can understand your desire to wrap it up. You guys have put so much time and effort into VAP over the years.

All of your episodes are on my hard drive or on your CD's. I'd sure recommend that anyone who doesn't have the early shows make a little donation and get a copy of the CD's from Tim.

Thanks to the three of you for your generosity, but wish you'd change your minds. I have more questions!

cheers,
steve
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Guys,

Thanks for the all the info on the VAP I'm really going to miss the podcast very much. I'm sure it's a lot of work. I understand. Ya'll will be missed!

Thanks
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Go take a look at The Vap homepage. Sumpin's up.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Go take a look at The Vap homepage. Sumpin's up.
Jim
Well It looks about the same to me. Course I never saw it before about 10 days ago.
Apparently Colin has split the sheets with his former outfit GSM Vehicles.
or maybe he just changed the name?? I did note that the website for GSM is damm near totally null and stagnant.

But it is Tim Shepard out in Calif that runs the VAP. He may be the one who is tired of it all. Or too costly, or whatever. (hope we finally figure it all out).

Colin and Rob are just the regular panel members who answer most of the questions aren't they?
What did GSM stand for anyway? And was Colin the sole owner?

So what is the "clue" you see on the VP homepage Jim?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Curious thing about Colin starting up a new restoration company - I thought he owned GSM. I don't think that's related to the end of the VAP though.

I've emailed and PMed Tim and Rob a few times for various things and I met Frank at the VTG - great guys all. I'm sad that the podcast appears to be ending before I find that Airstream of my dreams, but I understand how much time this must consume. We've spent lots of hours listening - my wife even listens to it at work.

Informative, entertaining - anyone who comes up with a new AS podcast has a big act to follow. Thanks guys.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I have every episode taking up a sizeable chunk of space on both my hard drive and my iPod. I'm completely bummed to hear that it's coming to an end, and I can only hope the guys have a change of heart.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #31
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Colin was President of GSM. Some absentee guy owned it. When I first met Colin, GSM was an experimental vehicle design and prototype company. They were making electric taxis for NYC and other stuff. They went under years ago when their grant money dried up. Colin took over the day-to-day back then and pulled the company out of the ashes of bankruptcy by using his impressive mechanical engineering background and applying it to his own love of vintage Airstreams.

Colin left the company last week when the owner brought his daughter in to run the company. Clearly, Colin's phenomenal expertise will be greatly missed by GSM vehicles. My own trailer has had major chassis work done on it by GSM in the past, but I have no reason to go to GSM anymore now that Colin is gone.

I hope Colin will hang his own shingle somewhere and maybe do just the parts he likes the best. I know he's too young to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Curious thing about Colin starting up a new restoration company - I thought he owned GSM.

Tom
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #32
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks for the update Steve. I was beginning to think "hoax". First, The Vap is going away, now Colin is opening a new business? Hummmmm. Like many here, I assumed Colin actually owned GSM. If Colin chooses to advertise here (in some form) he will surely keep busy. With his talents, he'll be fine

Good luck to you Colin. Keep us up to date.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Personal Take and Support of the VAP

I have just returned from a speaking engagment in Missoula, MT. Co-sponsored by
Bretz RV and Marine and Airstream.

Several people cloistered me and told how they enjoyed the interviews you
broadcasted with me, and that they enjoyed all of the podcasts. They were
dismayed that VAP was going off the air

I have expressed by participation in as many Q&A's about the history of
Airstream, Caravans, Wally Byam, Helen Byam Schwamborn and more.

The people say stay on.

I am also aware of the costs, saturation points, and the time that it takes to do one show.

So if the VAP slips away, I understand.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #34
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I have just returned from a speaking engagment in Missoula, MT. Co-sponsored by
Bretz RV and Marine and Airstream.

[deleted]
You were in Missoula and did not stop by and say hi!?
I am sooooo up set

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
You were in Missoula and did not stop by and say hi!?
I am sooooo up set
What can I say.

My appearance at Bretz RV was on the front page of the Missolian, last Saturday.

I really didn't take much time off from being at the Bretz RV and Marine dealership.

But here is a downtown mural.

Love Missoula, what a lovely area.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8924 missoula mural AF-2000.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	79868  
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I listened to some of the VAP podcasts and found them congenial and helpful. Since the service was provided free to the Airstream community, I think a hearty "thanks" is in order. I hope the information is archived for future generations of vintage Airstream owners.

I expect doing something like a podcast is a serious investment of time. I also think the vintage Airstream universe is finite. At some point, every question about axles has probably been asked and answered. The VAP is probably of greatest interest to those of us in the renovation process. After you transition to the "camping and enjoyment" phase, the appeal might diminish somewhat. Of course, that presupposes one actually finishes the renovation.

I'm sorry to hear about Colin's transition. When we were looking for a frame-and-floor shop, we spoke with Colin who seemed very astute. I wish him the best of luck in the post-GSM era. Given his reputation, I'm sure he'll have plenty of customers.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
See Damon's post, #20 above ~ I couldn't agree more. My sincere thanks to the 3 of you for all your time & dedication. I'm sure production of the VAP wasn't as easy as you made it seem, but I sure learned a ton and always enjoyed the show.

My best wishes to Colin. Wish I could get his new address to work tho.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #38
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What a sad day this is. I have been an avid VAP listener since day one. They are so much a part of my Thursday evenings, that I can't begin to tell you how much they'll be missed. Thank you gentlemen for all that you have done by providing entertainment, valuable information and a bunch of laughs. Rob came to my house several years ago and it seemed as if I'd known him my entire Airstream life. I've never spoken with Tim but we have shared numerous emails and comparison photos over the years. I've spoken with Colin once to get his input on changing out my door lock mechanism. It was just like having my old friend on the phone. We spoke at length about a number of topics. I feel as if I've made some close friendships with these guys and I've hardly spoken to them.

If there is anyway to continue, please do so and know you're part of a community that loves and needs you. If you cannot, I understand.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
What a sad day this is. I have been an avid VAP listener since day one. They are so much a part of my Thursday evenings, that I can't begin to tell you how much they'll be missed. Thank you gentlemen for all that you have done by providing entertainment, valuable information and a bunch of laughs. Rob came to my house several years ago and it seemed as if I'd known him my entire Airstream life. I've never spoken with Tim but we have shared numerous emails and comparison photos over the years. I've spoken with Colin once to get his input on changing out my door lock mechanism. It was just like having my old friend on the phone. We spoke at length about a number of topics. I feel as if I've made some close friendships with these guys and I've hardly spoken to them.

If there is anyway to continue, please do so and know you're part of a community that loves and needs you. If you cannot, I understand.

Brad
FF
Well said, Brad. They are some of the nicest and most helpful folks in all of Airstream-land. The VAP will be missed.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Having been a listener since the beginning, a call in questioner and contributor I can say all of the above comments hit home. I will miss the bi monthly ride to work listening to my one-way-mirror friends. I even overlook Rob's 70's jabs.
However as a person who has had a couple of similar fun programs, when the experience has run it's course it can quickly loose it's passion and become time to move on.

I do hope the folks posting here can bring a second wind to the effort and convince our fav 3 to do an encore for a few extra episodes....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote