Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
The best place to live?

Hi all, it is warm here Was talking with my wife, shall we move? Where?

A neighbor of ours is here (for 4 years) from Tampa...she says other than her dry skin it seems okay.

So do you people get lot of bugs? Flying roaches we have heard stories of...

We could live anywhere.

What would you suggest? We came here because of DM Military Base and wishing to have a pleasant "military" integrated society.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Kistler,
Destin/Ft. Walton Fl are good bets too. Air Force and Navy bases in the area and the weather is nice. Not as hot as So Fla but can get cold in winter. Great low crime area with the most beautiful beaches in the U.S. Check it out. There is a great campground east of Desting called Camping On The Gulf where you can camp in the sand although it's over $100 anight it's a fun place to stay. Good luck
Don Cook
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Perfect place to live? I'm still looking. And trying to move to Colorado.

However if you're interested in Florida, I have a beautiful waterfront home here in Ft. Lauderdale for sale including 20x50 RV parking with full hook-up...
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
In an Airstream following the seasons I have traveled large chunks of the country over the years and I keep coming back to the Sandhills of NC. (probably because that is where my wife is ) so it is home. I enjoy all of the places I visit and suspect if I HAD to choose a place to settle it would be Portland, OR Minneapolis-St Pauls, MN or Madison, WI. No particular reason but those are places that I thoroughly enjoyed in my travels and go back to again and again. I also like the area around Amarillo, TX but it didn't "grab" me like the others.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Kistler,

Interesting that you are thinking of leaving Oro Valley. We recently went thru the exercise of thinking about where to relocate in retirement. Leaving Marin County, California is a bit sad, but we are excited about the new opportunities and adventures in AZ. In particular, we chose Pebble Creek in Goodyear. Oro Valley was in second place for us.

We get our Florida fix with a time share on Captiva Island. We think that this is a fabulous place to visit, but would not consider living in Florida full-time. We like the warmth in the winter, but I believe that AZ has a more pleasant environment for more months than FL. My wife doesn't like the rain in CA. In FL there is even more, but it is the humidity that makes FL unattractive for us.

There are lots of other reasons for picking AZ over anywhere else, but it would take a while to cite them all. Seek serendipity. That's a hint.

BTW, the Airstream will be our 3-4 month home when the temps get too great in AZ. It's a two-home + timeshare strategy.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Well asking where is the best place to live is sort of like asking what the best ice cream flavor is...it all depends on what you like. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. I'm not a hot weather person and I don't do humidity well so I prefer the west coast. And I love being outside a lot so mild weather works best for me. What do you like?
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Yes, "one size does not fit all" or something like that. I think I get restless; moving (mostly in the LA area of CA) became almost a nice habit. However, Brenda, (my wife) does not like to move.

We cannot afford to move back to CA now....our once $38,000 house is now $900,000 and it is old.

Ft. Walton sounds good; I will explore it for a while. What are my chances of moving, I don't know.

Our trailer is not big enough for the 4 of us for over 3-4 weeks AND it costs us probably $10,000 to move our main home stuff let alone real estate costs.

I just like to hear how it is other places. Some days I dream of Bozeman, MT and then other days I want to go to Buffalo, NY.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Well asking where is the best place to live is sort of like asking what the best ice cream flavor is...it all depends on what you like. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. I'm not a hot weather person and I don't do humidity well so I prefer the west coast. And I love being outside a lot so mild weather works best for me. What do you like?
I'm with Bam on this one..anywhere near the Coast to view the ocean would be great for me..somewhere where there's no fog, though or too much humidity or cold!! or heat..to be corny about it all, anywhere where my signigicant other is!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Midwest is nice. Noticable season changes and with global warming, winter seems like fall most time.

I'd say Chicago, but the whole area has gotten way too expensive. Unless you had a great or good job heading here, I'd say avoid it, but there are several other places in the midwest that are very reasonable still....and who knows, with global warming as bad as it's predicted, you could move to the midwest and still have oceanfront property.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I might move further north. Minneapolis is getting to be too warm in the summer.

I saw that average highs in Boston and NYC may be 90F by 2020. Thats way too hot.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We live near Sanibel, and we are planning to relocate North. If you want a military focused community, you can try Tampa, although we moved from there because it was becoming too crowded. A better choice may be the Jacksonville area, or Pensacola, both have prominent military bases. A friend of mine is the C.O. of the sub base in Kings Bay, Georgia, he really likes it in that area.
A thought that has been rolling around my head is to possibly purchase a share in an Airstream-only park up North, and another one in the South, and become what is referred to around here as Snowbirds. Just an idea, for whatever it's worth.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Michigan is a great place to live and to camp! Plus when you want to tell people where you live, you put your left hand up and start pointing to where it is, unelss you live in the upper p!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michigan.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	39818  
Old 06-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
A couple of months ago the Wall Street Journal had a story on what are now called "serial movers" for lack of a more catchy phrase. It seems that demographers have noticed that some significant number of retirees are moving about every 5 or 10 years rather than the single move that had been the norm, if one moved at all after retirement. Apparently, these "serial movers" are experiencing life more episodically and are finding that their interests and desires change enough over time to make moves, often to entirely different climatic regions, interesting and worthwhile.

It's nice to think that one might be interested, engaged, and free enough to follow the dream wherever it leads without being anchored in place by a static home.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
I'm really enjoying this thread, reading about the different reasons that people "pick" different places. Mike has something there with that "serial movers" story, makes me think that the boomers are refusing to "get old" on another front-not many rocking chairs for them/us.

We're looking for a lake cabin as a second home, I keep looking at Tin Sistas travel pictures-note to self "go see Michigan".
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
3 1/2 hours to Portland, OR. and also Seattle, WA. 5.64" of annual rain fall. 325 days of sunshine a year. 4 full seasons, Almost sea level 394'. Some snow in the winter. No earth quakes. No tornados, no hurricanes. The Columbia river is 4 blocks away. The mountains are 1 hour or less from home.
The horizon can be seen in all directions, Average temerature is 73 deg F. Humidity is 30 to 50% on average. Loads of old Airstreams to rebuild.
What's not to like. We have looked at a lot of places and have property in Western N.C. but this looks like a great place to me
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My plug for the beautiful Estancia Valley

Cheapest land and housing in New Mexico, a fraction of the cost of Santa Fe and probably among the cheapest place to live in the country. Good schools. Salt of the Earth community. One hour from Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Not as hot as south NM or cold as north NM. I could be your neighbor.

Wanna buy some property?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EstanciaWinter07.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	39820  
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Ooh la la. That's very pretty country.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Marshall,
Beautiful photo. Sounds like a great place BUT, is that snow in the foreground????
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
3 1/2 hours to Portland, OR. and also Seattle, WA. 5.64" of annual rain fall. 325 days of sunshine a year. 4 full seasons, Almost sea level 394'. Some snow in the winter. No earth quakes. No tornados, no hurricanes. The Columbia river is 4 blocks away. The mountains are 1 hour or less from home.
The horizon can be seen in all directions, Average temerature is 73 deg F. Humidity is 30 to 50% on average. Loads of old Airstreams to rebuild.
What's not to like. We have looked at a lot of places and have property in Western N.C. but this looks like a great place to me
Donde??
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I just like to hear how it is other places. Some days I dream of Bozeman, MT and then other days I want to go to Buffalo, NY.

Kistler
If I were you, I'd forget about Bozeman.

Here's a picture I took yesterday afternoon, floating the Yellowstone River, just a few miles east of there.

As you can see, there's no military bases anywhere in sight.

In fact, I can't understand why anyone would call this place Paradise Valley.

John