Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Tech POLL Needed

Thank you everyone for reading and replying with your ideas and opinions.
Due to my complex explanation, it was not clearly stated that the final result of the technology implementation that I push for is: Anti-Lock Disc Brakes!!
I do not advocate ANY technology upgrades to the interior of the AS!!! Let each owner do as they wish!!
But the greatest safety upgrade that AS could offer is anti lock disc brakes.
Is there anyone who does NOT want that upgrade? It would include proportional braking which takes care of any issues during emergency braking, like if you have to swerve at speed whilst at the same time stopping.

But THAT IS IT-------NO other technology needed!!!

So let's take a Vote!!
Anyone against it????
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #22
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
You mean this

https://www.dexteraxle.com/dextertowassist

But I don’t think it’s avail for our lighter axle weights.

Yes my rig has Dexter disc brakes but they are 1 for 4 and 4 for 1 the 4 musketeers of brakes.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Dexter

https://www.dexteraxle.com/dextertowassist

Why hasn't the TT industry adopted this technology across the board?
This is exactly what and only what I am advocating for. Nothing inside the TT, just a proper braking system that will control the TT braking which at the same time controls sway etc.
I will be disappointed to find that anyone who owns a TT would object to having anti-lock brakes.

BTW, what does this mean: "they are 1 for 4 and 4 for 1 the 4 musketeers of brakes."??
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post

BTW, what does this mean: "they are 1 for 4 and 4 for 1 the 4 musketeers of brakes."??

I knew nothing about AS’s or trailer brakes of any kind but I go that’s nice I guess that my 2007 Classic came equipped with Dexter 4 piston/caliper brakes. Hence in one for all and all for one poor analogy.

They are monsters. 16 pistons hauling it down with 1600 psi at max pushing on them they are anchors waiting to drop.

I’ve worked on them personally down to caliper seal R&R and we know each other quite well.

Many here ask what setting to put their controller on? I find that a unique number to the combo and mine might not be right for you.

On my MaxBrake controller I’m on 23 iirc that’s 2.3 for most. An unlikely number for many I bet but my 17-18K rig is working in unison while braking.

And yes I did have an experience helping a fellow AS’r get his self adjusting brakes “working” we replaced his and went thru entire process. I hugged my rotors after that job.

I have threads about my disc brake performance observations and helping get the drum brakes working again via full replacement.

And I agree getting uniform test results with the myriad of possible combos is not likely. Airstream did publish an ad for disc performance vs drums with limited data. I have a copy somewhere.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Gypsy Dad----
I think I was using "corner the market" as a general phrase, not a specific action. I am not an expert in the modern TT's but some like Oliver seem to producing a very high quality product. I know the older TT's better---I owned a 1989 Silver Streak that was trouble free from the day it was delivered. It certainly put other TT's to shame in all respects. It is disappointing to hear the problems that AS owners of new TT's are having from the factory. But basically you are right in your remarks. I think it is pretty hard not to love an AS.
I understand. The grass "could be" greener...and if you go to RV shows like we try to do, you see some pretty "neat" new technology and other "stuff".
AS is adopting new technology as I mentioned...the new 2 way refrigerator, going back to square sink; solar, Li and 16" wheel/tire as options, tankless water heater, multistage converters...Build Quality, is an issue for sure...some of us have had no issues with new; some of us have had lots of issues. Anything hand made like all TT's, are bound to have some issues...some more then others. QA misses some obvious stuff...first GT's I explored on the lot here in Texas were a mess with missing trim, falling off trim, etc...Oliver is just a larger Casita...IMHO....we had/liked our Casita, but it was too small for us after 2 years between our first 25' AS and our 2nd 25' AS..owned it for 2 years, but 2 adults with a dog...it was just too small and narrow, compared to an AS... So the grass always looks greener, but an AS is hard to beat, assuming you like AS's.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Thank you everyone for reading and replying with your ideas and opinions.
Due to my complex explanation, it was not clearly stated that the final result of the technology implementation that I push for is: Anti-Lock Disc Brakes!!
I do not advocate ANY technology upgrades to the interior of the AS!!! Let each owner do as they wish!!
But the greatest safety upgrade that AS could offer is anti lock disc brakes.
Is there anyone who does NOT want that upgrade? It would include proportional braking which takes care of any issues during emergency braking, like if you have to swerve at speed whilst at the same time stopping.

But THAT IS IT-------NO other technology needed!!!

So let's take a Vote!!
Anyone against it????
I'll agree there's lots of safety improvements and upgrades that could be done. Including ABS, which I can get behind.

For certain larger and heavier trailers, it's questionable whether the drum brake systems even have sufficient brake torque to lock up the trailers tires. Disc brakes would go just as far to improving braking distances/margin. While also greatly improving brake cooling and potential for fade downhill.

Perhaps with the increased brake torque capacities, that would more warrant ABS?

There are some technology barriers. I believe there are some 3rd party anti-sway and ABS systems out there for trailers. Even in modern times, we're using some pretty poor proportion type interfaces between tow vehicle and trailer.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
FYI: A 1958 Triumph TR3 came with disc brakes. They were introduced in the 1956 model year, the first production car in the world to have them.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , California
Re AT&T; I have AS Connected on my 2021 AI19. I had att send me a new sim chip inserted in the router and added it to my non throttle family plan for an additional $20 per month and share my data. Works awesome and is cost effective! There are still some good options available. Also with the router, you are not limited to att.
BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I worked many years in the RV industry...we supplied coatings to several of them. Its a labor intensive industry that to be profitable, requires cheap labor and material. It always amazed me that I sit in a $75k AS trailer, surrounded by dozens of SOB trailers twice as big at half the cost. Its a recreational market with fickle customers who want home style comfort for a cheap price that often has a limited life span. The AS has always been considered a niche market by the other companies but times change. There's a new niche that's been created, the Bowlus Road Chief and that has the latest greatest of bells and whistles plus a huge price tag. I'm interested to see how they do.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
DJB75
You make the best point! I am always stunned when I read postings from folks who just bought a new AS and have a myriad of problems that should never have happened. When you look at the auto industry where some of the manufacturers churn out nearly a million cars a year it just boggles the mind why and how AS can be building such bad example. They can do better---the Japanese taught us that years ago when Toyota took over the market with cars that just didn't break down and WERE NOT delivered with any problems. Wake Up AS!!!

Here! Here!
Totally agree.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Cheap labor is just that. I believe there is no pride in the new employees doing the job correctly the first time as evidenced in all the tales we read here. Back in Detroit's bad years, anyone that wanted a good vehicle hoped it was built on a Wednesday. The imports had good builds nearly every day. When Toyota started building their vehicles here, their products quality did not tank like Detroits.

In July 2012 when our 2013 25FB International Serenity was built, the production rate was 26 units per week. We had zero quality control issues. In January 2014, the production rate was 41 unfits per week with a stop watch guy standing outside and three trades trying to work in the area of the installed dinette. I was standing inside my trailer and watched a QC issue being done with the furnace duct work.

In September of 2014, our 23D International Serenity was built with a production rate of 51 units per week. They could not even put the Airstream brand name on the back of the trailer, among the many QC issues.

So as production speed has increased and the labor pool has increased in size, in my opinion, the new employees are not up to the task of quality workmanship.

I know third party service companies that are unwilling to work on the new equipment as the warranty repair labor rates do not cover, as an example, the three days it takes to sort out the wiring debacle at the back of a 33" Classic, supposedly the Cadillac of Airstreams.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by napabill View Post
FYI: A 1958 Triumph TR3 came with disc brakes. They were introduced in the 1956 model year, the first production car in the world to have them.
????? 1st Production car, 1955 Citroen DS. Invented in the 1890's
Lanchaster?sp first auto to have them.

POI we have 10 disc brakes and 8 drum brakes all working just fine.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Cambridge , Ontario
All that tech you're asking for has a planned lifespan of 7 years, so the original owner can sell it at 5. Because resale value drives new sales.
They also abore sitting not being used for long periods. If you park your new Toyota for 11 months in a humid environment good luck getting all those sensors to work right away.

Most of us that tow big trailers don't need or want all that extra detritus on the trailer to maintain.
AS has the reputation it has because a 1970 still looks fabulous in 2020, and if it was cared for at a basic level everything still works.
A 2022 AS with all the crap you're asking for wouldn't reliably make it to 2032 let alone 2042 and beyond.
Lazerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
All that tech you're asking for has a planned lifespan of 7 years, so the original owner can sell it at 5. Because resale value drives new sales.
They also abore sitting not being used for long periods. If you park your new Toyota for 11 months in a humid environment good luck getting all those sensors to work right away.

Most of us that tow big trailers don't need or want all that extra detritus on the trailer to maintain.
AS has the reputation it has because a 1970 still looks fabulous in 2020, and if it was cared for at a basic level everything still works.
A 2022 AS with all the crap you're asking for wouldn't reliably make it to 2032 let alone 2042 and beyond.
Good point! But, still fun to complain about the grass on the other side of the hill...notice, not many folks here, walking over the hill...yet!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Follow up ATT sim card

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
Re AT&T; I have AS Connected on my 2021 AI19. I had att send me a new sim chip inserted in the router and added it to my non throttle family plan for an additional $20 per month and share my data. Works awesome and is cost effective! There are still some good options available. Also with the router, you are not limited to att.
Ignore note below: Took the device off the wall for a better view. In back protected by small Phillips, slot B. I am going to a local ATT Store to avoid the long phone call.

Hi BruceWayne: I like your solution. We also have a family plan that I would like to add a the Airstream to.

I've attached 3 images. Is this the device that contains the sim card? Any idea where? Mine is installed upside down (picture rotated) and I am not seeing an apparent sim slot.

Also wondering about your approach getting to someone at ATT who has a clue about this program and your solution. I've waited on hold for as long as an hour and not found anyone knowledgeable.
bickp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view_image turned right side up.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	396748   Click image for larger version

Name:	side with input jacks.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	396749  

Click image for larger version