Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Talking myself out of an AS

Hello all, as the title says, the more I read the more I think I’m talking myself out of an Airstream. I’ve always loved the look and feel that even the vintage trailers have. I like things that are made to last. I like owning items that have a vibrant and helpful following. However, the more I look at what I want to do, the less an AS seems appropriate. Perhaps I’m just reading into things too much.

I’m currently coming off a two year, 10,000 mile sailboat cruise and I’m no where near wanting to put down roots with property or land ownership. I just need to get off the boat for a while and get back to doing some of my other pastimes such as hiking, kayaking and camping. In particular, I enjoy cold climates and mountains as a contrast to what I do on the sailboat. So here I am looking for a vintage (l like vintage things- sailboats from 1969) 27’ Overlander or similar. Found a decent looking one advertised right here in the classifieds. Was about to inquire about it (cash in hand), but started reading many posts basically stating that an AS is not a good 4 season rig nor are they very desirable for backwoods type camping. I.E, my TV is a big Jeep 4x4 and I’d like for the trailer to follow me, nothing extreme but definitely not your typical paved RV park. Am I Reading all this wrong or are these things generally true?

I’ve looked at a few Lance trailers and have been educated on what 4 season actually means but I just don’t get excited about the boxed, looks like everything else and generic feel that they all seem to have. (Jayco, Lance ect).

Anyway, am I trying to do more than what they’re designed for (AS) and basically have to give up what I’ve always had an eye for just to suit the capability I need or have others enjoyed their AS outside of paved lots and/or within the boundaries of 2.5 seasons?

Forgive my ignorance here I just figured the best place to ask would be a forum of actual owners. Thanks in advance, Alan.
WWHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
You sound like you know what you want. There will always be some compromise. Have you considered van life.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWHorizon View Post
...my TV is a big Jeep 4x4 and I’d like for the trailer to follow me, nothing extreme but definitely not your typical paved RV park...

Alan,
The only part of the idea of using a vintage to do what you describe is the "big jeep" part. Not sure what that means but I am skeptical of a jeep tow vehicle. If you went with a pickup truck you would be fine.

I love my Tradewind because it is perfect for the uses you describe so its not undoable.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
You might want to start with the capabilities of your tow vehicle if your intent on keeping it. Big Jeep 4x4 isn’t really a very helpful description. I’m also not sure want 2.5 seasons is but I think camping in anything without consistent sub freezing temps is doable without much difficulty. There are campers available that come better equipped for the cold like the Lance you mentioned.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Hello all, as the title says, the more I read the more I think I’m talking myself out of an Airstream. I’ve always loved the look and feel that even the vintage trailers have. I like things that are made to last. I like owning items that have a vibrant and helpful following. However, the more I look at what I want to do, the less an AS seems appropriate. Perhaps I’m just reading into things too much.

I’m currently coming off a two year, 10,000 mile sailboat cruise and I’m no where near wanting to put down roots with property or land ownership. I just need to get off the boat for a while and get back to doing some of my other pastimes such as hiking, kayaking and camping. In particular, I enjoy cold climates and mountains as a contrast to what I do on the sailboat. So here I am looking for a vintage (l like vintage things- sailboats from 1969) 27’ Overlander or similar. Found a decent looking one advertised right here in the classifieds. Was about to inquire about it (cash in hand), but started reading many posts basically stating that an AS is not a good 4 season rig nor are they very desirable for backwoods type camping. I.E, my TV is a big Jeep 4x4 and I’d like for the trailer to follow me, nothing extreme but definitely not your typical paved RV park. Am I Reading all this wrong or are these things generally true?

I’ve looked at a few Lance trailers and have been educated on what 4 season actually means but I just don’t get excited about the boxed, looks like everything else and generic feel that they all seem to have. (Jayco, Lance ect).

Anyway, am I trying to do more than what they’re designed for (AS) and basically have to give up what I’ve always had an eye for just to suit the capability I need or have others enjoyed their AS outside of paved lots and/or within the boundaries of 2.5 seasons?

Forgive my ignorance here I just figured the best place to ask would be a forum of actual owners. Thanks in advance, Alan.
Since you're used to live aboard boat life, the relatively cramped quarters of any smaller travel trailer isn't much different.
Airstreams ride low to the ground, with a primitive suspension system.
They have what I call a lightweight " Bed frame" frame.Designed to be a "Pavement Princess" and not a off road trailer
Since you like old vintage stuff, it's kinda like a old 50-60s Harley hard tail chopper.On anything but a smooth pavement, it's going to beat itself up,even more than on a smooth level road.
These Airstreams, due to thin walled construction, lack the insulation qualities of say a true 4 season trailer.
Sounds like you need a modern, leaf spring suspension/ 4 seasons/ higher ground clearance/ off road capable trailer.
Otherwise, it's like going bear hunting with a slingshot.Everythings fine, until you hit the bear.
It just is what it is...
Old 03-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Since you're used to live aboard boat life, the relatively cramped quarters of any smaller travel trailer isn't much different.
Airstreams ride low to the ground, with a primitive suspension system.
They have what I call a lightweight " Bed frame" frame.Designed to be a "Pavement Princess" and not a off road trailer
Since you like old vintage stuff, it's kinda like a old 50-60s Harley hard tail chopper.On anything but a smooth pavement, it's going to beat itself up,even more than on a smooth level road.
Sounds like you really need a leaf spring suspension, knobby tire/higher ground clearance/ 4 seasons trailer.
These Airstreams, due to thin walled construction, lack the insulation qualities of say a true 4 season trailer.
Sounds like you need a modern/ 4 seasons off road capable trailer.
It just is what it is...
That’s pretty much what I was starting to learn about these trailers. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

“Big Jeep”- I was referencing “not a Wrangler” as they can’t tow much. Currently have a V8 WK Grand Cherokee and an almost finished 1980 Grand Wagoneer that would be the primary TV. Both capable of handling a 27’ and under AS based off loaded weights from what I understand.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
You sound like you know what you want. There will always be some compromise. Have you considered van life.
I want something a little more comfortable than a van. Offshore sailboats are great offshore, but get cramped dockside. A 27’ AS would be a HUGE upgrade in living space compared to my 35’ boat, believe it or not. Lol
Old 03-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Nothing has the "sizzle" like an Airstream but you'll pay for it in every other way. You are right to have second thoughts. Lance is a good option with quite a few choices. Perhaps check out some of the Northwood products. Arctic Fox doesn't have the groovy looks but they are warm in the winter, cool in the summer, off road capable, good water storage, plenty of battery room. Airstreams are like teak on a sailboat, very nice to look at but it's better when you are looking at someone else's.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
You might look at an Escape trailer. Not your typical box. We viewed one owned by friends. We liked it and they recommend it highly. Made in Canada and, if I recall correctly, a little more 4 season. Oliver is another "different" brand you might look at. Both of these are fiberglass trailers.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If you want something that’s unique ( or at less, not boxy) look at the Olivers. Maybe the Escape. Other fiberglass trailers are less liveable, and don’t even pretend to provide weather protection for the plumbing (most important part of all season camping).
We considered those, but between the wet bath and the beating delivered by the Florida sun, went with A-S. No regrets,
(OK, DCPAS, you beat me to it!)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Your assessment may be accurate and this RV would be a better match:

https://bit.ly/3scvyVk

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Great minds . . .
Old 03-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
You might look at an Escape trailer. Not your typical box. We viewed one owned by friends. We liked it and they recommend it highly. Made in Canada and, if I recall correctly, a little more 4 season. Oliver is another "different" brand you might look at. Both of these are fiberglass trailers.
The Escape reminds me a lot of some of the Casida’s I’ve looked at. A big issue I have with many of the standard issue RV’s is that they just don’t seem built to last very long. This is why I’ve looked hard at metal trailers and a few fiberglass builds. I’ve looked at some of the dedicated “off road” trailers; most being more of a very specialized toy that is way to extreme for my needs. I usually camp out of the back of the Jeep and I’m looking for more than that.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
The Escape reminds me a lot of some of the Casida’s I’ve looked at. A big issue I have with many of the standard issue RV’s is that they just don’t seem built to last very long. This is why I’ve looked hard at metal trailers and a few fiberglass builds. I’ve looked at some of the dedicated “off road” trailers; most being more of a very specialized toy that is way to extreme for my needs. I usually camp out of the back of the Jeep and I’m looking for more than that.
Our friends who have the Escape had a Casita before the Escape. Their Escape is bigger and more nicely equipped. The price reflects that. I can probably put you in touch with them if you would like to get their perspective.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
If you want something that’s unique ( or at less, not boxy) look at the Olivers. Maybe the Escape. Other fiberglass trailers are less liveable, and don’t even pretend to provide weather protection for the plumbing (most important part of all season camping).
We considered those, but between the wet bath and the beating delivered by the Florida sun, went with A-S. No regrets,
I agree on Oliver trailers. They're very cool, they can be true 4-sesaon trailers and they also have a loyal following. They aren't vintage, but they're cool.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
Hubbard , Oregon
I see a lot of people mention Oliver. They are a great trailer but extremely hard to find. You might also want to look at Bigfoot trailers, they are fiberglass constructed and purpose built for 4 season camping.
TKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I agree on Oliver trailers. They're very cool, they can be true 4-sesaon trailers and they also have a loyal following. They aren't vintage, but they're cool.
Yes, Oliver owners are loyal. Since you’ve been on a boat an Oliver might have a familiar boat feel to you. Intech is making some quality travel trailers, too. Might be worth a look.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Escape vs. Casita? No comparison. Scamp (maybe Casitas, I never looked) have a particle board floor and exposed plumbing. Olivers are better built than the Escapes. You get what you pay for in this case.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
We seriously looked at the Bigfoot and were planning on driving to Utah to check out Black Series.

Look up Black Series on YouTube and you'll see them dragging 15' and 19' travel trailers up the stair steps in Moab. It's a full on off road TT with a unique look and massive suspension.

Would look good behind a Grand Wagoneer!

Or, check out this thread on a vintage AS off road conversion:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ld-207319.html
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You need a specialty built trailer. If you can find such, it could be an AS, Silverstreak, or Avon. The Lance, Nash, or Arctic Fox will do the job, but they do not look vintage.

Truthfully, your comfort and backwoods objectives are at odds. Easy to do either, but both will be a challenge. The solutions that do both are Overland type vehicles and they are expensive and not vintage.

Good luck with your project. Maybe a converted military field trailer would fit your needs.

Edit - you might give these folks a call - 2021 Flyte Camp Neutron.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote