Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
From everything I've read and as mentioned prior they seem to do it right. Agree on videos and a step ladder, notes and another person to help remember.
Sorry for your loss.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Marietta , Arizona
Suggestions

1. Rich Luhr’s two books

2. Have dealer go over the following TWICE.
Awning
Hitch
Propane
Furnace/Ac control
Refrigerator

3. Proper mirrors

Wishing you the very best
MonacoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
From everything I've read and as mentioned prior they seem to do it right. Agree on videos and a step ladder, notes and another person to help remember.

Sorry for your loss.

May Gail’s soul continue to rest in the Lord. Amen.

Patric .B @ Colonia Airstream is very thorough and accommodating so be rest assured that when you call him after delivery, he will treat your concerns with great enthusiasm like the very first time you approached Colonia Airstream. You are just going to miss or forget many things as a newbie .
**** If you have to go on your airstream roof, ask Patric how to and what not to do. Going on the roof or even leaning the ladder against the airstream skin requires deep experience which you might not anticipate .
Get colored index cards with tie string and tie the winterize / plumbing by-pass instructions to the by-pass valve. ( Patric will show you) Another index card to your TV antenna control, stabilizer jacks control and awning controls . Anything that you need to retract or possible road hazard before moving needs to be tag till you feel comfortable loading & off loading[emoji1533].
Extended tow mirrors and a relaxed mood will definitely take you home safe.
Take a clear skin pictures ( left, right, back & front corners) prior departing Colonia and when you get home for scratch comparison . Try not to stop for gas in crowded stations and if you are not comfortable parking your new airstream in your driveway, leave it on the street and seek help that you are comfortable with. Worst case Scenario, you will get a $50 parking ticket which is way cheaper that a torn airstream skin. I leave in NY and Atlanta so I know the roads. Enjoy the moments and happy Streaming [emoji1531]
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
So extremely sorry for the loss of Gail. This must be bittersweet for you but I am so glad that you are continuing with the dream you two shared.

We have the Rick Luhr's two books and like others have suggested, they are worth getting. I also would suggest looking up DFW Airstream Youtube channel and look to see if Chris does a checkout video on your model. I know he did one on at least one of the 2021 International models and Chris is a no nonsense guy who does a great job at explaining what you need to know and helpful tips to not screw things up! We have watched his International video previously and will be doing so again a day or two before we pick up our 2022 International next month. We will create questions for our dealer based on his video checkout/ walkthrough.

Happy trails to you and congrats on your new Airstream!
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
North vancouver , BC
So sorry for your loss.

We currently have a 25ft International and the only thing I will add is make sure you check the that fridge works when you switch from shore power to LP (assuming you have an absorption model.) I am sure ours didn’t work properly from the start, but we didn’t check it and it took us a while to figure that out. It is apparently not an uncommon problem.
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:19 AM   #26
Pakman31

2021 27' International
River Vale , New Jersey
Make sure that the hatch closes flush, no gaps etc. from the outside. While sitting at the dinette, make sure that you cannot see any ‘daylight’ coming through the hatch openings, especially on the inside edge of the hatch, towards the bottom.

Fully understand your batteries, charging and voltages, especially if camping off grid.
pakman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Alpharetta , Georgia
You will e able to rest right in your airstream.
Davidbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspound View Post
I am heading to Colonial Airstream in NJ to pick up my 27 FBQ International on August 20. I am an Airstream newbie and only have a little bit of RV experience overall.

As some of you may have seen in previous posts, I lost my partner Gail to cancer earlier this year, so I will be going alone. This trip promises to have an incredible mixture of excitement and sadness, as Airstream travel was a dream that we shared (and that I will carry forward, including naming the AS after Gail).

The purpose of this message is to ask for your recommendations as to what I should be looking for when I am inspecting the AS at Colonial, and secondly what I should bring with me for my overnight stay so that I can make as thorough a test as possible. With only one pair of eyes rather that two pair doing the inspecting, I want to be especially careful and attentive.

The obvious stuff to bring are items that will allow me to sleep comfortably in the bedroom, make use of the shower and bathroom, and cook dinner and breakfast.

But besides that, what would you inspect and test And what would you bring with you to help your testing and inspection to make sure all is in order?

Thank you!

I’m sure you’ve picked up Gail already or about to, kind of reunion in a way. May your memories of Gail be a guiding light and instinct as you “Stream “ down the adventure lanes. Peace !
*** Walk through pictures when possible.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #29

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Arroyo Grande , California
New Pottery Barn

Picking up a new Pottery Barn Friday at Chandler Airstream. Was wondering what kind of experience other new owners had at Chandler Airstream.
aerojack is offline   Reply With Quote