Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Caldwell , Idaho
Tail down

My Land Yacht 27ft looks great and I can level it all round but when I walk to the bathroom in the rear I have the sense it is sloping down slightly. Is it my imagination or is this a common development for older Airstreams (mine was built in 1970)?
Baruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Rear end separation? Does your bumper move when you stand on it? Google it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Do you put your stabilizers down? End seperation or not they would hold the floor level.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Use a level to check for sure.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
It cantilevers back quite a bit from the rear axle, so this may be causing the feeling that it sags a little bit.
Another possibility as mentioned is rear end separation. Very common in the early 70s trailers. The bolts between the frame and she'll rust away and the shell no longer holds up the rear end. One way to tell is to bounce up and down(lightly not trying to make something break) in back inside while someone outside looks at the area where the shell and floor come together. It's usually pretty easy to see the bumper move down while the shell doesn't from out there.
Stabilizers can help alleviate the feeling but doesn't fix the problem.
As mentioned Google airstream rear ended separation from outside drums. You'll find lots of results and info.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Caldwell , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hijoesilver View Post
it cantilevers back quite a bit from the rear axle, so this may be causing the feeling that it sags a little bit.
Another possibility as mentioned is rear end separation. Very common in the early 70s trailers. The bolts between the frame and she'll rust away and the shell no longer holds up the rear end. One way to tell is to bounce up and down(lightly not trying to make something break) in back inside while someone outside looks at the area where the shell and floor come together. It's usually pretty easy to see the bumper move down while the shell doesn't from out there.
Stabilizers can help alleviate the feeling but doesn't fix the problem.
As mentioned google airstream rear ended separation from outside drums. You'll find lots of results and info.
thanks for the tips!
Baruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Loco Airstreamer

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
Shell really isn't supposed to hold up rear end. If you are sagging, you have a problem that won't matter unless you decide to actually move the trailer. Then it matters quite a lot. Here's what it can lead to - http://airstreamdiary.com/take-a-pic...rstream-frame/ .
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I had and have corrected rear end separation in my 72 Overlander. Be happy to share the pics with you. Don't waste your time with make-do repairs, sooner or later you'll have to correct the underlying issue

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
I also have had to correct rear end separation in my '71. I reinforced the frame and replaced the rear 4 feet of subfloor. I also significantly beefed up the means of mounting the body to the frame through the 'C' channel at the rear. There are some photos in this post towards the end: http://msstreamy.blogspot.com/2014/0...has-floor.html

I was not able to totally remove the sag but I fixed the places that were causing the sag.

The sure way to tell if you have separation is to stand on the rear bumper and bounce up and down. Have someone else watch the joint between the body and the frame rails (bumper trunk). If that gap widens as you jump you have separation. There shouldn't be any change in the gap at that joint.

Good Luck!

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #10

1972 27' Overlander
La Feria , Texas
I just figured out that I have the same problem on my 1972 27 foot airstream. I would greatly appreciate you sharing your photos. My email address is nonobeale@yahoo.com
Thanks
Nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Old axles will cause the rear to sag, the frame will bend down just aft of the rear axle mount.

I addressed my frame bend when I replaced my axles. I used a large bottle jack at the back of the frame and jacked each side up repeatedly and aggressively until the frame straightened. (Trailer hitched to tow vehicle for stability)

After I got the frame straight I welded a 3" x 3" angle to the bottom of the frame to keep everything in place.

The 3" angle also serves to raise my trailer 3".

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote