Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

Star , Idaho
Sway bar system

I just purchased a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB Twin. I'm looking for sway bar recommendations. Will be pulling Airstream with a 2018 GMC 1500 Ser truck.
Local Airstream Dealer suggested Blue Ox Pro 1000lb kit. Does anyone have a better recommendation.
Bairdj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Blue Ox is a decent Hitch, it doesn't excel at anything in particular but its simple and forgiving. I currently use one. There are hitches that perform better at certain things, some are a tad easier to use. They all generally have various advantages and trade-offs.

If you describe your truck with more detail and tell us about your driving style and your priorities in terms of your set-up and performance and how tolerant you are about possible annoyances like noise, ease of set-up and removal, we can help you find something right for you.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Search the forum for "hitch recommendations" and you will find enough discussion to satisfy anyone. You will also find that there is absolutely no single recommendation that all agree with. In fact, hitch discussions can produce more acrimony than almost anything else

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My hitch is better than yours. So there.

I just purchased a Blue Ox Sway Pro for my 1975 Overlander 27'. I rigged it to my trailer and did a "test pull" last Saturday. Overall I was pleased with the way it performed. It will work for me.

You can learn all about hitches in these Forums, or other internet sources. I also have a ProPride hitch which is very good, and maybe more difficult to hitch and unhitch the trailer.

What is important is tongue weight distribution off the back of your truck, and some serious sway control so going down steep grades with turns at the bottom or towing in serious winds can be done more safely.

Knowledge is power...

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdj3 View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB Twin. I'm looking for sway bar recommendations. Will be pulling Airstream with a 2018 GMC 1500 Ser truck.
Local Airstream Dealer suggested Blue Ox Pro 1000lb kit. Does anyone have a better recommendation.
Oh boy, this will be another interesting and objective discussion.

Seriously, there are so many good ways to go, please do your 'due diligence' and spend an hour or 500+ reading the threads on this forum.

The Blue Ox is a good system, I'd go so far as to say a very good system, my opinion. I use the Equal-I-zer system but this is a very open-ended, opinion driven subject and IN MY OPINION there is no one-way that is absolute. Did I say "in my opinion"?
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

What hitch?
Well, the AS wasn't cheep, don't skimp buy the best.
Safety and peace of mind is paramount.

More importantly...whatever it is, match it properly to the trailer and install it properly.
Do NOT depend on the dealer to do right. Some do it perfectly, others not so much.

Research, research, research, compare and decide.🤓

Sweet Streams 👍

Disclaimer, we use a Hensley Arrow.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Disclaimer, we use a Hensley Arrow.
For my post above, I should have added the same disclaimer!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote