Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
Storage Priorities

Hey all, we’re new to the Airstream community (just bought a 19CB Caravel) and we’re looking for storage options. We can’t keep in at our house due to HOA restrictions. My question to y’all is how would you prioritize storage locations
• Covered
• Distance from Home

Reason asking is we have a few great options but none are perfect. One is an hour away, gated, covered, boat and RV storage facility with tight spaces. Another is an hour away, indoors, and sort of valet parking (no self-park). And lastly, one is about 30 min away but uncovered in a gated Self Storage, wide space.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice. -Jason
Ruppjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I guess it depends on how you’ll use your new trailer. To me having it an hour away would be a dealbreaker. We’re always going back and fourth to our storage yard to get something out of it or put something in it. I also do a lot of remodeling and upgrading. Having it an hour away would also make quick escapes for a weekend hard.

I’d never have my trailer in a place where you can’t get to it whenever you want but that’s just me.

Personally I’d vote for having it as close by as you can early on while you get it setup and understand how you’ll use it. You can always move it later.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
They make the Airstream units to be outdoors. You'd do OK in the closer outdoor storage area. Just remember to check the caulk every year and replace when deteriorated.

Seems like you should have figured this out before getting the trailer. I buy boats, trailers, etc by the size of the parking space I have available at the house. But I gave up on HOAs in the early 90s.

We can't tell you which space would be right for you. But an hour's drive would turn me off.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I have some perspective.

Ours is stored about 30 minutes away, gated storage, open lot. Access 6 am-10 pm (so not 24 hours but not 8-6 either.)

The best feature of our place turns out to be that it IS 30 minutes away, but on the "edge" of the metro and right off the highway. This means we don't have to pull THROUGH the metro when towing to get out of town.

If our storage was close to our house, we would have to pull on a metro interstate loop highway full of commuters to get out of town.

So it is actually better that it is 30 minutes away.

If the hour drive is in the direction you will typically be heading out when camping, then that is not really a problem in my opinion. If it is the wrong direction that is a big problem.

We would only switch if we could have covered storage (snow/hail protection). Our area has underground caves that give lots of protection and would avoid winterizing, but are only valet and are M-F 8-6 (as if that works for anyone who works).

When you say the spots are tight together, how tight? Would you have room to do a bit of maintenance? Like, could you get a stepladder there to do a hand wash and polish? You will likely want this amount of space around your rig.

PS Congratulations

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Inside valet parking. You don't need to park it. You do need for the coach to be protected.

a) you are going to keep it for a long time and want to keep it in fantastic condition. Inside protects the coach from weather, leaks and seal degradation from UV.

b) you are going to trade that little trailer for your twoftitis dream and need it in the best condition possible to retain as much value as possible.

Distance from home - now that is an issue. Much better to have the coach at home where you can live in it, camp in the driveway, and maybe do a project.

However, priority one is best storage condition.

Cost - the roof seal caulking needs attention every two years if stored outside. The life gets extended by double when stored inside. A coach stored inside and not allowed to leak is worth maybe twice what one which has experienced leaks will be worth. The general condition of a trailer stored inside will be better for longer. Does the valet storage include a wash when you bring it back? That's a nice perk, even if you pay for the service.

Use - if you really plan to use the coach weekly, that 1 hour distance is a significant issue. You will need every hour of time to RV. For most folks, the use will be maybe four times a year. That hour distance is of no consequence, unless it's in the wrong wrong direction.

Future - it makes a difference. You may buy a new/different house. You may decide you would rather have a boat, cabin on a lake, or vacation home in Hawaii. You may decide to store the trailer in the East or West to explore those areas. Give it a thought.

One of the best issues is that you may learn to travel light and forage (shop) along the way. It's not a bad lesson to learn as you enter the RV world.

Full disclosure - we store inside, about 30 minutes away. The fellow who runs the storage used to travel 90 minutes to put his rig away. It's that important. '89 car stored outside - interior junk in 11 years. Cars since stored inside or under cover. Current daily driver in good shape after 18 years.

Do you have to store inside? No. Keep it washed and waxed and enjoy it. The patina will build, but that's OK too. Most important to use and enjoy your coach.

Good luck. Hope to meet you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Both of your considerations are valid ... covered in case the weather might damage your AS / investment and distance that might take away from your allotted time ... YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
For me, the number one priority is proximity to home. What good is something locked safe and put away too far where I can't get to it? I'm not enjoying it if it's too far away. I'm not saving it to be in great condition for the next person to enjoy it.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote