Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
How Terrible

We'l keep an eye out in the Midwest, (Rockford & Chicago) and I told my son in the Rochester, NY area.

How terrible for you!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
ccd
1 Rivet Member

Wow,what a great response. Thanks again to hear from all of you.
To answer the questions asked a few posts back.
1. The black tank location required the location of the toilet where it is (extremely tight fit), so if we located the door into the main cabin you would have had to step over the toilet to get into the w.c.
2.The awning colors i didn't have any control over, however, i felt the white window shades would give all the other colors a "rest" and not get too chaotic in a small space.
3. There was a lot of debate over the propane cover....weight & cost vs aesthetics. Low weight actually won out, but i believe you can order a metal cover from AS if you like.
4. Finally, I have had no problems with the QC, it has performed flawlessly on all levels.

I hope to be back with better news soon.
ccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Chris,

If ever there was a case for capital punishment!!!!! We just had our 16' out for it's 6th 2 week trip in a year and it is so comfortable. Thanks for the design. We didn't see your hot one while in the Pacific Northwest as far as Montana. (How do you like my grinding right?)

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Could you post some better photos? We could print them out, and take them on the road with us to rallies and such to spread the word better.

Forrest
Old 09-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Eye in the Sky?

Christopher-

Another echo of sorrow for the loss, and hopes for recovery. Another idea that might pay off is to consider Cessna aircraft charter from Napa or Novato airport in north bay, and spending an hour with a flight instructor /charter pilot cruising over Marin County and areas to north at several thousand feet in high wing airplane with pair of binoculars..

You'd be astounded at how much you can see and how distinctly visible an Airstream is from the air.. I've taken friends looking for distinctive cars involved in hit/runs in south bay twice, and as long as you don't have to crowd major airport like SFO or OAK, you can see huge area quickly, including secluded back yards, etc..

Might be worth a couple hundred $$ and chance to feel better taking action, though I fear unit probaly headed for Baja or Canada to become private lodge already... (or find friend with such a plane, and buy gas and lunch..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This brings up the GPS tracking issue again. Seems like a good idea for newer in demand trailers.
Don't they have freeway cameras out there you could get a look at? Start with the ones closest to wher it was to get a day and time. Long shot but why have all these cameras around if you cann't use them to get the bad guys? Are there cameras at the boarders?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Smile Think like the thief....

First, check the storage yard records where the trailer was kept. How many recreational vehicles (particularly travel trailers) have been stolen in a give time period? This should help determine if this was a random or targeted theft. Second, check with the Port Authority at Long Beach and any other California or West Coast shipping port for the export manifest list. Chances are your airstream has, or will shortly be, shipped overseas. My gut feeling is your airstream was targeted by an informed thief and not a random theft. It would be hard to resell in the U.S.A. but easy to resell in Japan, Europe or China.

Good luck !

Jim
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Damned "Simple Life". Probably stolen by some juveniles and turned into a rolling meth lab. It will surely be found though, kinda like stealing the Mona Lisa or something, sooner or later somebody will spill the beans, that is if they know what they stole.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I can only express my dismay, though not shock, at how low a thief can get. Of course we'll keep an eye open on our travels and here in N. Texas, but I must concur with another post that it was probably a 'targeted' operation. My belief is something that rare must be headed overseas, or at least over an intl. border.

And yes, thanks for the great new designs with the American classic Airstream!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

What to do? Who to call?

I'll be on the look-out, too. Should we just call the area police if it's seen? Or do you have a voicemailbox we should call, too? Posting to this forum is not exactly convenient.
TonyBusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Verification

To the doubting Thomas's that were on the chat last evening, I emailed Christopher Deam. This is the response:
Terry,

Yes, unfortunately it is me... Thanks for confirming and for keeping your eyes open.

Sincerely,

Christopher C. Deam / CCD

The email I sent using the email address I obtained from from his website, the phone numbers on it are his.
Let's keep our eyes open for this unusual trailer, and hope he gets it back soon, and unscathed.
Terry
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Chris,

This thread may not give you the answer you want to hear in finding your coach through this forum or indicate that it will be found directly by the authorities, but it may give some hope. This one was found indirectly through a theft of another item.

Your's is the second theft of an Airstream that I have read of on this forum in the two months that I have been a member. It tells me that when I purchase my unit I will think long and hard about storing it in a self storage facility. I know for most urbanites, that is the only option for owning anything that can't be parked at the curb like an automobile. Fortunately, I will have an option since I live out in the burbs. I think lo-jack would be a wise investment if I do park it in a self storage lot. I would expect an insurance discount like on autos and for monitored burglar alarms on houses.

Before I read about the thefts on this forum I would have never thought of something as large and unwieldly as a travel trailer being subject to theft. Who would have thought you could just back up to one and drive off with it. I know there are special locks because this happens, but still it just seems so hard to imagine.

I told my wife that I want to join WBCCI if for no reason other than to get those big red numbers to put on the front and back to at least give it a unique and distinquishing characteristic that could be easily seen and verified by an unknowlegeable law enforcement officer. (I'm sure they don't learn the finer points about Airstreams at Police Academy. Besides, they don't make changes from year to year like cars, SUV's and pick-ups.) I know they aren't exactly high design, but you can always view them as part of the Americana that is part of the Airstream mystique.

If there is a history of RV thefts from your storage facility or from other like facilities in your facility's immediate area, the owner had a legal responsibility to tell you and assumed certain liability if the agent didn't tell you. The history record is something to check with the police dept. The limits of liability for the owner would be specific to California law, but generally you have a right to be informed of specific or unusual risk and if you are not and the owner knows of a risk, he/she assumes that risk not you. If they know of a risk and tell you, then the risk is yours. BTW, I'm no lawyer, but this is the way it works in Georgia and we are not cutting edge on this sort of thing.

Since you are the designer of the series, I know it is very special to you. It is YOUR Bambi International CCD, not just an Airstream Bambi International CCD, and special on its own merrits as the personal unit of the series designer: it is Christopher Dean's Bambi International CCD.

I really wish you luck in finding your Airstream.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Stolen CCd

Perhaps a good time to consider joining the WBCCI, if for no other reason than to get assigned a unit number & like it was previously mentioned, have it painted on the roof. With luck the culprit/culprits will be caught & the unit returned undamaged.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #34
ccd
1 Rivet Member

I've gotten a lot of great suggestions for finding my trailer, thank you all. I took one specifically and contacted the San Francisco Chronicle....they ran a story on the theft in this mornings paper (Friday 24th p. B-4). Based on that story I was contacted by the local TV news, and they may run a story tomorrow evening if its a slow news day. Seems like this is snowballing to a point where it will be hard for someone to move or use the trailer in the light of day. What's next Dan Rather?
ccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One thing that was touched on you should do if you haven't already. Contact the shipyards to see if anyone has shipped it out of the country. It would show up on the ship's manifest and you could have it intercepted at the next port of call by the local authorities. It might even still be on the docks waiting to be loaded if it is going to a specific local. Maybe ask the Coast Guard to check with other ports on west coast as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

A friend on mine had his restored vintage trailer stolen a few months ago and he never heard a word and it is still listed stolen with the police. Maybe it went to Japan.

Is is possible to get Lojack for these travel trailers?? I'd just love to see the look on the thief's face when the authorities arrive!!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A construction firm I used to work for had Lo-jack installed on their back-hoes and bob cats. This helped to locate several that were stollen from with-in fenced lots over the years. (Theives would hot wire and drive through the storm fence.) One was retrieved inside a land-sea container that was loaded on a freighter in Miami. I don't see why they couldn't put one on an AS, it has the 12v power supply already in place.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Love my CCD

I too, just thought it might make you feel better to keep hearing how much the CCD is loved. I enjoy showing mine to people and watching their expressions when they first look inside.

It is so unique, and I hope that I will always have one.

Andy
Old 09-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21
Is is possible to get Lojack for these travel trailers?? I'd just love to see the look on the thief's face when the authorities arrive!!
Yes, same cost as a car, at least as of a year ago.
Terry
Old 09-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Christopher,

So sorry to hear of your loss. You are a hero in our eyes (especially my wife's)!

Good article from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Here's the link

We all wish you the best! We're seriously on the lookout!

Jay

PS. Here's the other picture of your CCD that they posted in the newspaper article...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ba_trailer.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	8839  
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote