Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
Angry Stolen 2003 25 foot Classic

Last evening my trailer was stolen from a locked parking lot in Tucson. It is 25' Classic with one small dent in the upper front right panel above the window. VIN STGBYJ213J515113. AK tags.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you can recover your AS. There is a special place in he## for thieves.
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Any pics would be helpfull, we'll keep an eye out.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Soiree...

Welcome to the Forums, but so sorry to hear your trailer was stolen from a locked lot in TUCSON! Yikes! That's not good! Where was the lot located?

We'll sure keep an eye out for it. Do you have any pictures?

Good luck with retrieving your trailer.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
The lot was on Silverlake Rd, just West of I10. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back to Tucson this weekend. It also had an Hennsley hitch on it so I am not sure how they pulled it.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Lots of places to hide a coach between Tucson and Ajo. Were the tribal police alerted?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
While I realize that your main reason for returning to airforums.com is to try to recover your trailer, it would be helpful to the rest of the community if you could share the detailed circumstances that led to its loss, so that others can better understand the situations where theft is more likely.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
I don't think their are any unusual circumstances that apply. We use the trailer regularly, one or twice a month. It was in our employee parking lot which is gate carded. Their had never been a theft issue before. The street is regularly patrolled by the police, in fact the local jail is a few blocks down the road. The entry gate was forced open and the police have recovered tire tracks. Unfortunately, they will not search for the trailer. If it comes up during routine business I guess I'll get a call. Too bad, we we're going to be taking it back to AK next week.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Most of the trailer thefts reported here share many common threads with your experience:

1) Most involve theft from a trailer parked outdoors in a commercial or industrial area (not a campground, campsite, or RV storage facility)

2) The theft takes place on an evening or weekend when, due to the industrial nature of the area, there are no witnesses

3) There is usually evidence that the theft is planned in advance, with the thieves having suitable tools with them to break locks and hitch the trailer to a vehicle

Usually there is little police interest in solving these crimes. I suspect that most such trailers are taken off the road and used as more or less permanent housing, where there is little reason for the VIN or registration to be inspected.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Soiree,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Due to the nature of my business, I am out and about all over Tucson, so I will keep my eyes on the lookout for your coach. Silverlake and I-10 is a bit of a "rough" area of town and that is fairly bold to enter a locked/carded employee lot. For the last week I have been dealing with a theft/burglary at some of my in-laws property in Tucson. The scum broke into every building and car on the property and even stole two radiators out of two vehicles. Today I finally finished fixing the wiring at the service panel for the property. They had even cut and stolen whatever wiring they could get their hands on. To say I am absolutely furious would be an understatement. Thieves truly do have a special place in he** waiting for them. I am absolutely going to keep my eyes on the lookout for your rig.

Tim
Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiree View Post
I don't think their are any unusual circumstances that apply. We use the trailer regularly, one or twice a month. It was in our employee parking lot which is gate carded. Their had never been a theft issue before. The street is regularly patrolled by the police, in fact the local jail is a few blocks down the road. The entry gate was forced open and the police have recovered tire tracks. Unfortunately, they will not search for the trailer. If it comes up during routine business I guess I'll get a call. Too bad, we we're going to be taking it back to AK next week.
I wonder if it was an inside job since you were due to take it far far away in just a week. Sorry to be so cynical, but did anyone check on employees?

And I'm very sorry for your loss. I would just go up in flames if one of ours was stolen.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote