Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Too much noise for just one generator

Our 2000i powers a 15000 and that is it. We have to disconnect the batteries to avoid any attempt to charge, almost all electronics are turned off as well. IMO the sound volume of one generator running hard is rude to other campers and passers by, so if we are doing more than just cooling off the unit in the daytime heat, we get the second generator out. I would prefer not to but carrying 2 is still less than 100#. (I use an extended run tank either way so add a container carrying up 6 gallons into the weight equation) I contend that using 2 generators is easier since everything with a power draw doesn't have to me minded so closely.
Andy Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
I agree

Thanks for the real world feedback. Such a gentle quite little guy in eco mode,to just run the lights ,TV fans. It is not a quite Honda under load. I will either have to man up and carry the second Honda or sell them both and go to the Champion 3500 dual fuel with remote electric start.

Lol that scream of a single Honda has taught my wife wattage. She knows Keurig , micro wave , and AirFryer are not it’s friends. Like Apollo- 13 she has learned to shut down every thing else to run one of these at a Harvest Host.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Squared View Post
Our 2000i powers a 15000 and that is it. We have to disconnect the batteries to avoid any attempt to charge, almost all electronics are turned off as well. IMO the sound volume of one generator running hard is rude to other campers and passers by, so if we are doing more than just cooling off the unit in the daytime heat, we get the second generator out. I would prefer not to but carrying 2 is still less than 100#. (I use an extended run tank either way so add a container carrying up 6 gallons into the weight equation) I contend that using 2 generators is easier since everything with a power draw doesn't have to me minded so closely.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:27 AM   #23
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Thanks for the real world feedback. Such a gentle quite little guy in eco mode,to just run the lights ,TV fans. It is not a quite Honda under load. I will either have to man up and carry the second Honda or sell them both and go to the Champion 3500 dual fuel with remote electric start.

Lol that scream of a single Honda has taught my wife wattage. She knows Keurig , micro wave , and AirFryer are not it’s friends. Like Apollo- 13 she has learned to shut down every thing else to run one of these at a Harvest Host.

Thanks
You have to teach her the principle of 7. Important for anyone using a small generator or living with limited power.

1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

Thanks
I had the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel prior to the Honda. It works very well with one AC unit with or without the Micro Air installed. The electric start is nice. My issue was it became heavy (95lbs) for me to lift in/out of the bed, although I did run in the bed a few times and that worked well when I had enough power cord.

I just decided to get the new H2200 with the propane conversion and as much as I use it (rarely these days), it serves my needs as a backup for AC, electronic needs, or charging my batteries when needed. The size and propane integration is very nice for my needs.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
H2200 with micro air

Quote:
Before a trip I did a test run in our storage unit outside temps 90 and high humidity in Florida . This is on a 2021 Flying Cloud with 2 AC units. Which on a 50 amp Airstream the rear bedroom is a 13.5 and the front a 15,000 with Heat Pump.

I had both equipped with Micro Air Easy starts. Disappointing that one Honda 2000 will not run even the 13.5 in Hot weather. The Unit starts then trips off shortly. I had everything shut off even the converter. Fridge on propane. My Surge Guard blue tooth reported line 1 voltages low. And that Honda sure does start screaming for mercy. So either the micro-Air is not installed properly which I doubt because the AC it works fine. And I can run the 13.5 AC on a 15 amp house plug mooch docking.

The Honda just is on the edge of amps. Which I think a 2000 only produces 13 amps I have a 2d Honda companion and together they work well just hate hauling and hooking both up. Mood point as I will soon have a Victron Multiplus 50 amp and 600 amps of lithium to assist the gen if and when I might need it.

I have hesitated to ask on this as it seems many are having no problems it works just fine. I am a STRONG supporter of Micro - Air not blaming them- Your thoughts appreciated.
A few weeks back I was camping with temps 105 plus. Ran my 13.5 with micro air all day long with my h2200 not sure if the h2000 would as work as the 2200 is running close to full load . Tip is to turn all of your breakers off that are not needed and let generator warm up for a few minutes with eco mode off. I use the magnum 3000 hybrid to run my second 15k btu. Cheers
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
More power

Problem: 2kw Champion dual fuel will start the Easy Start on 13.5 Dometic and run about 20 seconds.

Solution: Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter genie. Starts and goes just fine, well worth the 98 lbs and 59db (on my meter).

For a couple hun more (or less), you can skip the math 🤠
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Try an inverter 3500 from Harbor Freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If that generator is producing only about 13 amps constant, then you are trying to run it at its max. A 13,500 BTU a/c unit will draw about that much just running, even more to start. The Micro Air is there to help reduce the compressor startup load, but it doesn't totally do away with it. I don't believe it helps at all with the a/c run load.

When the source (generator in this case) can't produce the amount of current that the a/c unit is producing, the result will be a voltage drop. The formula is amps x volts = watts. The number of watts the a/c unit is trying to draw remains constant, meaning that the amps & volts will adjust as hardware dictates. Raise the amps and the volts go down. When the volts drop low enough your generator screams an alarm. Low voltage is very hard on devices like a/c units.

The Victron system you're installing will be able to help in these situations. I've got that installed in my coach and it does allow an a/c unit to start with the battery assist. The idea is that once it helps the a/c start it will return to charging mode to top off the batteries again. If you're generator is at the upper end of its limit, the Multiplus might not see enough extra power present to ever switch back from assist mode to charging mode, or it may only be able to send through a very low-amperage charge.

If your generator is on the edge of being able to run that one a/c unit then you might find that the Multiplus is not able to keep the batteries charged while running it, meaning that after helping the a/c unit compressor start up for a few hours the batteries might become run down.

Hopefully you've got some solar on the roof to augment the generator while you're running the a/c unit so the system will have enough incoming juice to keep the batteries charged up while it helps you run the a/c unit.
Hope you find this useful: this is what I recommended for friend with same problem. Sell the 2000 Watt Honda and use money to purchase Harbor Freight 3.5 KW inverter model they sell. It worked so well my friend used his 5th wheel and both A/Cs at Oshkosh in the summer heat. Cheaper, quiet, and has more output than the Honda. I’m not a big fan of Harbor Freight but find this product outstanding regardless of where it came from.
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
I have a Honda 2000 gasoline generator and it has powered one zone on my boat (three Crusair Dometic heat pump ACs) and on my Airstream (single Dometic) for years, with no Easy Start type of add-on.

btw, the comment about disconnecting batteries doesn't make sense. To avoid charging, turn the charger off.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #29

1962 24' Tradewind
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
In addition, watch your elevation. Once you get up around 2000 feet your Honda won't power your AC with an easy start. If you're going high bring 2 gennies.
I run my 13.5 on a Honda 2K regularly at 3000 feet and often at 5000 feet - no issues
bdunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
There is a way to get it to work

Quote:
Before a trip I did a test run in our storage unit outside temps 90 and high humidity in Florida . This is on a 2021 Flying Cloud with 2 AC units. Which on a 50 amp Airstream the rear bedroom is a 13.5 and the front a 15,000 with Heat Pump.

I had both equipped with Micro Air Easy starts. Disappointing that one Honda 2000 will not run even the 13.5 in Hot weather. The Unit starts then trips off shortly. I had everything shut off even the converter. Fridge on propane. My Surge Guard blue tooth reported line 1 voltages low. And that Honda sure does start screaming for mercy. So either the micro-Air is not installed properly which I doubt because the AC it works fine. And I can run the 13.5 AC on a 15 amp house plug mooch docking.

The Honda just is on the edge of amps. Which I think a 2000 only produces 13 amps I have a 2d Honda companion and together they work well just hate hauling and hooking both up. Mood point as I will soon have a Victron Multiplus 50 amp and 600 amps of lithium to assist the gen if and when I might need it.

I have hesitated to ask on this as it seems many are having no problems it works just fine. I am a STRONG supporter of Micro - Air not blaming them- Your thoughts appreciated.
My trailer is 30 amps, and same problem. At Alumilina, my neighbor had me put the fridge on propane and turn off all the breakers. After starting the Honda and letting it run, we then only added the ac breaker (can't remember, main also?)
AC then ran fine, but could not add anything else. I seem to have forgotten which setting the generator was on, regular or eco. Hmmm
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Make sure you turn off the breaker to the voltage converter before you try running in the AC. That can make the difference. It will steal power if the battery needs charged at all.
Meallen is offline   Reply With Quote