Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Screened porch recommendations?

Hope you guys haven't been over all of this before

What's the scoop on those enclosures that hang off the awning to create a screened porch?

Are they a good idea?
Which brands are best?
How much do they cost?
Where do you store them?

What's the care and feeding like?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2003, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Screen Rooms.

By far the best screened room, that also has privacy panels available, is made by Zip Dee.

However, it is designed to work with the Zip Dee awning.

Adding an enclosure to another brand awning, is risky and not recommended.

The cost depends on the size you need, as well as if you wanted privacy panels.

One of the big features of a "Tropic Room," is that it has built in fabric tubes that you fill with water, so that they not only stay in place as well as giving a great seal to the ground, but offers much resistance to the wind.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Reviving a very old thread...

...but I see that Zip Dee still makes these, and they look perfect to help contain door-dashing RV kitties looking for outdoor adventure. The Zip Dee site has very little info on the product, and I don't see a door. Is the entrance zippered? Tied? Loose hanging? Anyone know? Anyone have experience with this product? Thanks!
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sticker Shock

I looked at the Zip-Dee Screen room - and nearly died of sticker shock. ($1200 for my 22' CCD three years ago).

I've thought about it a lot since then and decided to get a freestanding screen room instead. They are priced anywhere from $69 (very flimsy frame) to $300 and can be set up by one or two people in a matter of minutes. (Lacking a second person? Tie one corner pole to a tree while deploying.)

My reasons - well I've read too many horror stories of damaged awnings. They usually start with:
  • a storm at night
  • left the camp to get groceries and a big wind came through
  • thought I had enough tilt for the water to drain but this was a flood
So, I never leave my awning open when I'm not at the campground - and since I work 40+ hours that usually means the awning comes out Saturday and Sunday if the weather is nice. Adding a screen room would turn a 5 minute job into a 20 minute one, and probably increase the likelihood of damage.

If hail, wind or an errant tree branch hits the free standing screen room, it's going to be a lot cheaper to replace than the awning. Now of course the zip dee is much bigger and if I had a family of four I'd seriously consider it. Moi, alone? Nope.

Paula

Paula
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Until I read about the Tropic dealie, I planned to get a screen room like you described. The huge bonus (worth the price to me, although it is very dear) of the Tropic Room is that it would catch any cats who would zip out the door when it's opened. It might also allow me to leave the door open and put a litter box outdoors when I'm there, quite the boon with three cats. The water bags would presumably keep them from ducking under the fabric, and if they aren't uniform around every inch of perimeter, I can reinforce them with rocks or something else. I'll be parked for several months at a time.

Your issue about winds and awnings is a very good one. I'm taking it into consideration, but in my situation I'd rather lose an awning than a cat (and I WOULD lose one of them, the little scamp, she's fearless). That said, do most general RV policies cover something like awning/screen loss/damage due to wind?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We've thought about the screened in porch also... on mosquito nights, they're really nice to have. Zip Dee prices weren't confidence inspiring though. Other priorities...

We've found though, that we would need something very easy to set up since whenever we leave the campsite for any length of time, we roll the awning up... thinking a screened in porch might be a bit too much.

Left it out one clear, bright, summer day or an afternoon only to be 2 hours away when a sudden thunderstorm hit. Got back and both support arms were bent and the roller was bowed a bit. The "water tilt" probably lessened the damage but didn't eliminate it.

Nothing money couldn't fix with ALOT of elbow grease.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yergh.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Three sided screen room won't keep cats in unless the underside of the AS is covered as well
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5
Three sided screen room won't keep cats in unless the underside of the AS is covered as well
With the Zip Dee, it is, one reason why I'm considering paying that much for a screen room. That and the water tubes that hold everything down (and keep kitties from slipping underneath). That wind issue sounds like it could be a real problem, however.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The point is the cats will just go under the trailer. That area isn't sealed off even with the Zip Dee. The water tubes only hold down the two sides and front and there' skirt that buttons to the skin of the Airstream but doesn't seal it to the ground. At least that's what I remember fromthe Airstream Life article on the Zip Dee screened room.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Ree

Lamberton , Minnesota
Sportsmans guide has one that has a back flap..
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote