Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Satellite from above

When planning your vacation trip or, even for a short term stay try using the link below. You can check out the neighbor from afar, like from heaven~
I've used this website for looking over area and, have found it to be very educational. When pulling your trailer, you can see the actual side roads that you may turn unto.
Other uses are only limited by your imagination.
Now's your chance to become a fly on the "wall"...
www.terrafly.com

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry Vern...your link is broken

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Great site ! Thanks

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Link fixed.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
WOW that's a really nice one!
I have been using Terraserver. You can get in closer but it doesn't name the streets or anything like this one does. They have als made it a pay deal now. When I first used it (and it uses the same pictures) I use to be able to zoom into the point I could see cars relativly clearly. I could make out my Wifes truck in the parking lot of where she worked at the time the shots were taken. Well I knew where she parked and I could tell from the color I should say.
Love seeing the home prices. We are about to look at selling our home and I was able to see what my neighbor accross the street was asking. I might have more house then I thought! I know it's on a better lot and not counting their finished garage I should have more floor space and I still have a garage. Looks like I have about $30k more equity then I thought! Ye haaaa
This is the one I have used in the past. Like I said to get anywhere with it anymore you have to subcribe to it. Doesn't let you look up by address without it.
http://www.terraserver.com/
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
fix'd link

Thanks BobbyW,
I'm not sure how it was broken but..thanks..
and, for the other one...if you go to:
http://terraserver.microsoft.com
You'll find it somewhat better then "terraserver.com"
thanks again gang..
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #7

I just hate to show this terrafly to Mike.

I fondly remember the hours_days_weeks ... he has spend a few years ago, assembling pictures from terraserver.microsoft.com

We now have very close-up huge pictures of everything for miles around us. We have pictures taken just before we bought our place in VA, showing only the big metal shop building and our road. Shorly after 2/3 was clear-cutted. We have been able to follow progress of errosion ditches (the pictures were taken right after a big hurricane). We found out the western line of our property in the woods, just by looking at the ground layout on those pictures. He has spent A LOT OF TIME, enhancing them in ways I don't even want to know anymore......

I tried this terrafly, did not seem to work, but I was running 4 different pages at the same time, and we are getting about as slow a connection as it gets. That could have been the problem. Will try it later. May not tell Mike yet if it is working !!!
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by femuse
I just hate to show this terrafly to Mike.

I fondly remember the hours_days_weeks ... he has spend a few years ago, assembling pictures from terraserver.microsoft.com

We now have very close-up huge pictures of everything for miles around us. We have pictures taken just before we bought our place in VA, showing only the big metal shop building and our road. Shorly after 2/3 was clear-cutted. We have been able to follow progress of errosion ditches (the pictures were taken right after a big hurricane). We found out the western line of our property in the woods, just by looking at the ground layout on those pictures. He has spent A LOT OF TIME, enhancing them in ways I don't even want to know anymore......

I tried this terrafly, did not seem to work, but I was running 4 different pages at the same time, and we are getting about as slow a connection as it gets. That could have been the problem. Will try it later. May not tell Mike yet if it is working !!!
It's the same images as Terraserver but they mark the names on the roads and the price of houses for sale in the area.
He probably got the images from Terraserver when it was still free. Now you have to pay to get the real good close ups.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Very neat site. Looked all around the US. I need a few more trees to shade the house.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
He probably got the images from Terraserver when it was still free. Now you have to pay to get the real good close ups.
No. And it was not Terraserver.com, it was Terraserver.microsoft.com, which is still free. I just looked at our place. Still the same pictures, 1994 (we moved in in 1996).
The "homes for sale" & "crime statistic don't work. I bet they just don't have the data for our ZIP.
The maps are still the same. And free.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by femuse

No. And it was not Terraserver.com, it was Terraserver.microsoft.com, which is still free. I just looked at our place. Still the same pictures, 1994 (we moved in in 1996).
The "homes for sale" & "crime statistic don't work. I bet they just don't have the data for our ZIP.
The maps are still the same. And free.
Same maps but it missed my street address.
Here is My house
The half round looking thing just harr right of center just below center is my back patio with a tree hanging over it. The white line looking thing at an angle just below and left of it is my next door neighbors drive way. In that driveway is a White Lincoln town car.
It use to be you could zoom into the point that you could make the car out sitting there. The botom right white lines is a storage place. the little dashes are motorhomes and campers. You use to be able to see outlines of the roff A/C's
If you click on the storage buildings. when it reloads you will see a parking lot and the roof of a large building. that use to be a K-mart. It's now a Old time potery. It looks like the lot is empty because it was resurfaced black. My wifes 79 Blazer is parked in that lot and you could see it's outline on full zoom.

They all base off the same two maps. That one and there is a older one from the late 80's. They started charging to get the images in that were that tight.
I think I have the links book marked from about 4 years ago where you could make that out. I'll try them tonight and see if they still work.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #12

That looks about right. I mean the style, as I have not been to your place.

Mike has the pictures of his mother's suburban neighborhood, that he downloaded in March 1999.
I bet that if you try again, you should still get the same result. Free.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb See the world beyond~

To see the world beyond your~~

Here's another link for your edification.

These are not places to be taking your "beloved A/S".

http://www.globalsecurity.org/

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
femuse:

You about had me conviced I had lost my mind because I couldn't find the link I knew I bookmarked. Had to fire up my old computer to get the link from 98. We bought my current home machine in mid 99 for Y2k LOL.

It starts to pull up the image then it errors or with "That Image not available Then it Give a option to see current image". When I look at the current image it pulls up the same resolution as the above stuff is and roughly the same location.

I was just looking at the Terafly site and here is what it say's on the page when you first link.

Quote:
Under the current user load, we have to limit flight time, image quality, and access to advanced features. A substantially more liberal quota is in effect from 6pm ET to 8am ET. You can get a practically unlimited flight quota with a paid subscription. Subscribers see/fly-over clean non-watermarked imagery, can fly practically quota-free, get priority in data streaming (can fly faster), get advanced image manipulation features, get more details in popup demographic data
Looks like the only way to get in tighter anymore is to Subscribe aka $.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #15

OK,

I had Mike look at this site, as I don't know a thing about this stuff.

Don't know about Terrafly, haven't use it.

About Terraserver.microsoft.com : the site has changed from the last ime he used it. But, the pictures (at least of our place) are the same. Same close up, same details.

The big difference is, he was able to save that whole picture from a specific menu. Now, you can save it only chunk by chunk, and have to reassemble everything yourself. Very slow process.