Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Safari vs. Classic (25')

The 25' Classic is obviously finished 'nicer' & has some extras, but where is the substancial difference in price. Is a Classic that much better, or eaiser to sell (someday long off!), or more prestigious, or something else I don't see.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Think of it as good, better, best. Classic is all of the above minus maybe the selling part. Not sure a Classic sells any faster.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Assuming you can afford whichever you want, the biggest issue is the weight difference. Your choice of tow vehicles is much wider with the lighter Safari.

Beyond that you need to do a bottom line comparison. The Classic comes standard with some items that are optional in the Safari. If they happen to be things that are important to you, then they are not really optional. And the dealer has more margin to deal with in the list price of the classic. You really need to get down to brass tacks and see just how much the difference really is.

Finally, the Safari has been out long enough that you should be able to research the difference in resale values.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Dumb Question #1

Is the 'Classic' a recent model addition? I was told it is the same as the 'old' Excella.

-We have an '03 F-250/7.3l diesel to keep our trailer options as open as possible.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

The Classic is more or less a continuation of a long series of Airstreams. Your equation to the old "Excella" is not far from the mark. An owner of a 1985 25' Excella would find little out of place in a new 25' Classic.

The Safari was a response to the (justified) complaint that Airstreams had become heavier and heavier. Primarily through the use of lighter cabinetry, and a few less features, the weight was reduced by about 1,000 lbs. as I recall.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A major difference is in the windows. The Classic has the wraparound front window and full-opening riveted windows while the Safari has the single front window and rubber-framed windows tha open only partially at the bottom. The Classic has raised panel real woodwork and nicer curtains, valances, etc. Other upgrade items liksuch as the aluminum steps and Corean countertops add to the appeal of the Classic.

After my International, which is, in effect, kind of a little Classic, I was unwilling to settle for an Airstream without the wraparound front window and fully opening windows; hence, I traded for the Classic.

Since I was trading my truck for a diesel, the weight difference was not a factor in my decision.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
On the 25' they list the Safari as 6300lbs (680 hitch), & 7300lbs (870 hitch) for the Classic.

-Thanks for the input, Ed
Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
On the 25' they list the Safari as 6300lbs (680 hitch), & 7300lbs (870 hitch) for the Classic.

-Thanks for the input, Ed
Wow that Safari has picked up some weight. I wonder if this is for the Safari LS. My 2001 27' Safari was 5,500 lbs unloaded. It weighed in at 6,000 lbs with clothes, food, and other stuff, no water though.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
I used the GVWR ratings, sorry.
A/S '04 catalog shows the Safari-25'AB w/o options, cargo, or fluids = 4,920 with a NCC of 1380lbs.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We went from the Safari to the Classic. I think two of the biggest things we will enjoy the most is the double entry step and the bigger windows which can provide much more ventilation when open. Next in line is the big front windows.

We also wanted a dinette which we sorely missed in our 27' Safari.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

Wow that Safari has picked up some weight. I wonder if this is for the Safari LS. My 2001 27' Safari was 5,500 lbs unloaded. It weighed in at 6,000 lbs with clothes, food, and other stuff, no water though.

Jack
I checked this and the answer was that it is the weight minus any upgrade pkgs. So if you add any upgrade pkgs, you are basically taking away from the additional weights allowed.

Eric
Old 01-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
We bought the Safari!

We finally decided to go with the Safari. The dealer is going to install some options that are std. on the Classic (pwr. jack, Fantastic fan, blk. flush sys...), but Debbie liked the int. better! All the extra alum. & stainless steel didn't matter as much to her, go figure!!!
Thank You very much for y'alls input...
-Ed & Debbie
Old 01-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
congratulations!

I think you'll be very happy, we are. We just got our Safari a couple of months ago. The weight was the biggest reason, but we also liked the Safaris' interiors better, kind of a fresh look a bit like the Internationals. Of course the options and real wood is great but it comes at a price of added weight and dollars. We can do easily without all the mirrors and chandalier lighting and the formal designs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
We finally decided to go with the Safari. The dealer is going to install some options that are std. on the Classic (pwr. jack, Fantastic fan, blk. flush sys...), but Debbie liked the int. better! All the extra alum. & stainless steel didn't matter as much to her, go figure!!!
Thank You very much for y'alls input...
-Ed & Debbie

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good choice. Having a 25' Safari, I can tell you first hand, it isn't a Classic, but if you didn't know the Classic you'd swear the Safari with the upgrades was the bomb!

I love the Safari C and have been impressed all around with every aspect of it!