Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2002, 04:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
RV Insurance

Who is the best insurance carrier? Are you happy with your present carrier? Any bad experiences?

I have been with Foremost and so far have not had any problems.

Has anyone looked at <www.explorerrv.com>?
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Nationwide

I just got my bill for my Airstream trailer, which is an add on to my pickup truck. $18.40 for collision and liability. Probably should add comprehensive.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RV Insurance

I have had Foremost insurance for the past three years on my '64 Overlander and also purchased a policy from them for my '78 Argosy Minuet. The major issue that I have had to address in purchasing insurance for these two rigs is their collectability issues. The typical RV insurance policy would value either coach at a maximum of $4,000.00 without special riders.

Foremost was one of only three carriers in my area who would consider issuing stated value/agreed value insurance for either of my Trailers. With the stated value/agreed value riders, the insurance on my Overlander is just short of $200 per year for all major perils and my '78 Argosy is just short of $125 per year for the same coverages.

Prior to Foremost, I had insured my Overlander with American Family. They had excellent coverage, but do not make more than two (2) claims in a five year period [for all policies held with company]!!!. When I made my third claim during a five year period [I had policies on my home, five cars, and the Airstream as well as an Umbrella Liability policy], they cancelled [declined renewal was their terminology] my coverage - - but then offered to reinstate coverage if I would agree to a 300% increase in my rates! Needless to say I immediately went out and found another carrier who gladly wrote coverage replicating that (even better in some instances) which I had with American Family.

Prior to my experience with American Family, I didn't subscribe to the idea of shopping all insurance coverage once every five years. Now, I am not so certain that such a process might be a GOOD idea.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Insurance

Foremost has a habit of depreciating sheetmetal.

Wow!!!!!

How do you put a life expectancy on Airstream sheetmetal?

Other companies don't do that, and never have.

Remember, Foremost is a giant, but in the "mobile home" industry, not the RV industry.

Generally speaking, their claims handling of an Airstream loss, leaves much room for improvement.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Insurance coverage

I have minimum coverage for Airabelle with my auto insurer and want to get better coverage--like towing and higher replacement allowance in case Airabelle has another disaster. (Remember she had a window shot out a few months ago.) I was told that I would have to get some kind of documentation from a reputable source as to her value before they would up their coverage. Where that source might be I don't know. The Airstream dealer in my area laughed when I asked him about her worth. That was many dollars ago, before I began Airabelle's rennovation. I don't plan to go back to that dealer again--ever. He of little faith.

I have received RV insurance ads from Camping World, Good Sam and the Escapees, all of which I'm a member, but haven't inquired about specifics. Has anyone looked into their policies?
Old 12-07-2002, 05:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I am also not impresed with Foremost, hence the looking around now before my coverage ends. Is it wise to tie the coverage to you auto/home policies like a lot of folks do?
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote