Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
This thread is too RICH not to throw in my comments...
As I write I'm just inside the AZ border on I-40 eastbound after a cross country drive to S. Oregon.
We've nicknamed this trip, "I survived highway 1" as we drove the northern stretch this past weekend from Leggett to the Golden Gate Bridge. Very cool highway for sports cars and not bad in the Honda minivan, but I'm glad the bus stayed home for at least that reason and the price of gas lately.
As I look at the odometer I note that I'm 4623 miles into the vacation drive, and Julie did manage to drive about 40 miles the day before yesterday... her total involvement.
BTW she flew out today from S. San Francisco on the second leg of her flying as she flew west to meet me.
Julie and I have a system.... I drive....she flies. Works for us and I get the vehicle, dogs, and me... out to where we start the vacation.
Works for us.... you might try it sometime...
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Thanks Barry, now my wife will not feel alone. She too has to tolerate my being a passenger from time to time.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
terms of endearment

snookielumps?...... that is just TOO good....we could start a new thread here....how bout "doll face"...snookielumps.....
norbylumps

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I must admit that Ive only called her Snookielumps to her face once......Sweet Baboo'ette is about as close as I get to cutsie names when she's within hearing distance - which is amazingly far it would seem......I value my life far too much to risk going beyond that.
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Craig -

We don't even have a trailer yet.... but you are secretly my husband, aren't you?

(asta's wife)
Well, he was looking at the exact same trailer that I have. Does that tell you anything? Hmmmm, he and I must think alike.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
After being forced to ride shotgun due to a 24 hour bug while in the midst of our travels I found the best remedy to be a ballcap brim. I pulled it down over my face to avoid the temptation of a running commentary on why it might be best not to ride in the slipstream of an 18 wheeler. Yikes! We're still married.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Womin drivers

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. There is a lot of commonality among us male drivers. The sharing here has reaffirmed my belief that women really do share the same rib. They have the ability to keep us in line in spite of ourselves, and can tolerate most anything. I think it's the birthing experience that tempers everything else in their lives. My wife, on more than one occasion, has invoked that experience to explain why I have no right to complain about anything.

I've been in the car as a passenger with her, and I'm amazed we're both still alive. She has a Maxizma that she drives like a Cobra GT. I'm floored that I have more speeding tickets than she, but it's a woman thing.

She won't drive the Excursion with or without the Stream. On the plus side, she keeps us on our designated course in spite of my attempts to show her that the shortcut is not a cul-de-sac. Her observances of the road ahead have kept me from driving over silly people driving 35 in a 70, or someone's excess rubber left in the middle of the road, turning left from the right hand lane - we've all experienced these cautious drivers. When we arrive she is out of the Excursion so she can tell me where to go, and does a wonderful job.

Barry's post is my excuse for not asking my precious to drive the Excursion. I wouldn't be able to explain the smacking noise coming from the cab, or my red cheeks when I got out. She's the best navigator a guy could have, but I'd have to ride in the trailer if she were to drive. A mere safety precaution.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
MEN! I've owned Airstreams since the 70's and pulled them unaided by men for many miles. I also drive at least 1000 miles a month in my work and probably 40,000 miles a year showing dogs. My husband had never owned a trailer before marrying me . The last ticket I got was in 1986. We won't go in to my husband's driving record. My husband also sleeps when I drive, even pulling the trailer. To my great dissapointment, I cannot back; however, I think that gives my husband a sense of superiority. We are a team. Of course I bought the Toyota step-side to pull the trailer myself. I love it - Bob's a Ford man, but I sometimes give him a thrill and let him drive my sexy truck.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tail Gaters

If you drive with someone who tailgates, first send or TAKE them to the optometrist - bet you they need glasses or a new prescription.

I found that once I got my first pair I became much more aware that I'd developed a bad habit of creeping up on the car in front of me.

As for all of the husband-wife stories, I'm divorced, but my business partner incessently directs me whenever he asks me to drive him anywhere. Now mind you it's usually 3-4 blocks so he can pick up his car from the service bay, but I still have never convinced him that I actually HAVE made a left turn or seen a working traffic signal before!

He never corrects other people, that would be rude... but we've known each other for 3 decades and familiarity apparently does breed a sense that he has a duty to nag.

Bob is a good driver, but where does that "master of the known universe" attitude come from? Last time out I handed him the keys to my BIGASS Suburban and invited HIM to drive it.....

Vengence is mine, sayeth the Ford!
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
...Bob is a good driver, but where does that "master of the known universe" attitude come from? Last time out I handed him the keys to my BIGASS Suburban and invited HIM to drive it.....

Vengence is mine, sayeth the Ford!
My wife would say that the attitude is innate in males. I have made a few directional mistakes though.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote