Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Remove Omini TV antenna

Hi,
Has anyone had experience removing their Omini TV antenna? See attached picture.
I rarely watch any TV, I don't even have antenna or cable subscription in my house. I wouldn't bother removing it if it's not in a position on 16' Caravel that I could use to add a 100w solar panel. The small trailer has very limited roof space.
It seems like the feet of the antenna are secured with screws, and with sealant, but I am not sure if there are VHB between feet and roof sheeting. I also want to know the wiring situation inside so I don't end up cutting it if I need to use multi-tool to cut through the adhesive. Would appreciate it if someone has experience can give some pointers.
Ideally I would relocate it to a different position on the roof.

I did find one post that mentioned moving an similar antenna, but OP didn't mention the removal process, plus the antenna is different.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...-a-184515.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	373130  
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Hi hovr.

I am also interested in this. When we first got our trailer, I wondered why this is even there. Then after getting the antenna work by making a little shunt that goes on the exterior cable connection, I was able to get 4 channels so I could now watch Maury in the middle of the day We then changed out the LG TV for a Samsung curved monitor and don't have a TV tuner anymore.

So taking this thing off the roof would be fine with me as well.

I would suggest pulling the interior jack cover and disabling the 12V switch as well so you don't have any electrical shorts down the road. If you chase the 12V connection to the bus bar, you could pull the connection to make sure it has been disabled.

As far as sealing up the holes. I would use a Sikaflex product and maybe even a patch made out of aluminum sheet cut to fit. Then attach it using the existing screw holes.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi hovr.

I am also interested in this. When we first got our trailer, I wondered why this is even there. Then after getting the antenna work by making a little shunt that goes on the exterior cable connection, I was able to get 4 channels so I could now watch Maury in the middle of the day We then changed out the LG TV for a Samsung curved monitor and don't have a TV tuner anymore.

So taking this thing off the roof would be fine with me as well.

I would suggest pulling the interior jack cover and disabling the 12V switch as well so you don't have any electrical shorts down the road. If you chase the 12V connection to the bus bar, you could pull the connection to make sure it has been disabled.

As far as sealing up the holes. I would use a Sikaflex product and maybe even a patch made out of aluminum sheet cut to fit. Then attach it using the existing screw holes.
Thanks @PB_NB, thanks the advice! Also you should have plenty of roof real estate with a 22', why could you both with a roof surgery like this ?
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote