Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We went with a front bedroom. We usually boondock in the desert so the trailer rarely gets unhitched.

This leaves us the view out the back. Works for us.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We went with the rear bedroom so we could have two recliners comfortably situated in the front and also have a dinette on the road side.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Brian, more good points. I keep going back and forth on FB/RB LOL.

Evan is that your trailer/parking spot photo? That is exactly what I am looking for. Gorgeous.
Thanks Zybane,

Yes that's our unit. This was at the North End of Haida Gwaii overlooking a remote beach. In the remote distance, islands of the Alaska Panhandle can be seen from the dinette table. (Unlike Ms Palin, we couldn't quite see Russia from our 'house'. ;-)

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
After 75,000 miles in a FB, and many reviews of new Airstreams (which have enviable improvements) I still like the FB. The view is great (if you park it right), and why look at your hitch and TV in the morning with your bacon? The disadvantage is you gotta park it with the view in mind, and not every camp site is ideal for that. I generally select the "back in" sites rather than the "pull through" ones, even though pulling through is much more convenient. And I review prospective camp areas on Google Earth. Hey, why not? Life is short. Campsites to me are an experience not to be trivialized.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"And I review prospective camp areas on Google Earth." We do, too. That also tells us if there might be any sharp corners to navigate while getting to our campsite. Of course, there is little out there to warn people about low-hanging branches.

Some State parks will have individual pictures of each campsite along with a brief description giving length, width, power, shade, and slope. That information really makes it easy to pick the right site.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm sitting at the Dinette looking at Devils Tower right now as I type this out. You couldn't get this view at this campground with a front bedroom.

Last week, we boondocked along a cliff edge in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands looking into Badlands National Park. You couldn't get this view with a rear bedroom either.

Our choice was because of how we "intend" to use it. We don't really do "RV" parks.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have slept in the front on my mattress on the sofa and in the rear bedroom depending on who is with me. I have to say that I prefer rear bedroom. First, I like privacy in a bedroom and quiet. Both are compromised with front bedroom models. I also do not like a panoramic window in the bedroom though on some models that is not a choice. I am convinced that the big window is why many complain of a lack of cooling as heat is radiated from the glass. In most parks or places I have been, the noise is on the front area with people talking-walking by, driving by, etc. The part about looking out, I really do not care about. If I want to look at the surroundings, I go outside rather than look out the windows. I like to eat outside and sit outside anyway if it is not too hot or rainy. I also completely concur with the door position and pads in parks. In most places I have stayed with pads, the pad favors the front (catering to motorhomes me thinks) so the trailer rear is far passed the pad.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
After reading these posts and other similar threads from the past it always amazes me how differently we all use our Airstreams. No wonder Airstream offers both front and rear bedroom layouts. There are advantages and disadvantages for each layout dependent partially, at least, upon where you predominantly stay (RV Parks, Campgrounds, Boondocking, etc.).

Great info shared by all, as always. And I like it when folks add...If you're out there enjoying life, any Airstream layout will do the job!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
. . . Our choice was because of how we "intend" to use it. We don't really do "RV" parks.
We enjoy the fun and community of RV Resorts every winter, it's a blast, as well as touring the country to, from, and in-between. So "view priority" really depends on how you use your Airstream, as well as practical considerations.

The southern states' Nat'l and State Parks and just about everything else worth living for is full of snowbirders, full-timers, Canadians, Europeans, Minnesotans, bums, transients, and even a few locals during winter months. Make plans early, the good RV Resorts and early bird pricing will be sold out in Jan-Feb-March.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We picked a rear bed room because of the unobstructed access to the big rear storage, shorter sofa and bigger bath.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm sitting at the Dinette looking at Devils Tower right now as I type this out. You couldn't get this view at this campground with a front bedroom.

Last week, we boondocked along a cliff edge in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands looking into Badlands National Park. You couldn't get this view with a rear bedroom either.

Our choice was because of how we "intend" to use it. We don't really do "RV" parks.
I think you meant with your first example:
"You couldn't get this view at this campground with a REAR bedroom." ?

Point taken though...

This discussion does show that people use their Airstreams for different types of camping. If you have a view to the back, you want a different configuration.

As it's already been said, if you have an FB, you tend to seek out Back-in Campsites with a view to the rear.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
The most important reason I would like the rear door/front bed for our next trailer is because while towing at 55 to 65 mph, should the door latch fail the air flow will keep the door closed until I can get stopped. I believe that the door latch of our present trailer failed at some time with the past owner. After having this trailer several years I noticed damage repair with the door and the kitchen window that is just a little behind the door when it is open. Also My wife and I both really like the layout of the 25' & 27' FB models.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Good grief, it is a personal decision. We have had three RB's and now have a FB. We loved them all but really are enjoying the views from the FB.
There is no right or wrong.
Everyone has a preference, you have to figure out yours. Sit in each one, get the one you prefer for your reasons not someone elses.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have had both front bedroom and rear bedroom and I honestly don't have a preference for either, but...
Our previous trailer was a front bedroom with 2 entry doors- one going into the bedroom. When people stop by to visit they knock on the bedroom door and look surprised when the rear door opens-
When it is raining, the awning must be tilted toward the front of the campsite to drain-
I chose the Classic 30 because it seemed like the most practical floor plan and the closest to our previous trailer. We loved the layout. This trailer is just the other trailer in reverse or backwards.
It is possible in a rear entry trailer for the door to not be over the pad. Most campsites are designed for the door to be nearer to the front.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Another reason for choosing the floor plan we did is because we like the walk-through bath rather than the side bath.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
FB.....Jackson Center listen up.....LOL

If anyone from Jackson Center is listening....and I believe they really do pay attention, how about a front bed 27 footer, based upon flipping front to rear the new FC 26U, with pano windows at the rear over the U-Dinnette, and no pano windows in the front, but closets on each side as in the Serenity 30 RB....? Oh, yes, tint the rear panos...for goodness sakes.

This could be a real deal IMO, and variations of the U-Dinette with loungers could be a potential option.

Just out of the head of someone who is never satisfied, albeit, extremely pleased with her Serenity 30 RB!
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #37
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
If anyone from Jackson Center is listening....and I believe they really do pay attention, how about a front bed 27 footer, based upon flipping front to rear the new FC 26U, with pano windows at the rear over the U-Dinnette, and no pano windows in the front, but closets on each side as in the Serenity 30 RB....? Oh, yes, tint the rear panos...for goodness sakes.

This could be a real deal IMO, and variations of the U-Dinette with loungers could be a potential option.

Just out of the head of someone who is never satisfied, albeit, extremely pleased with her Serenity 30 RB!
If the 28ft International Signature came in front bedroom, we would of been convinced to buy new. We liked the floor plan.

As to what others have said. Yeah, this is like asking which is better. Targa top Corvette or Convertible Corvette. The roof comes off both. It's totally personal preference.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

I like your thoughts. We would have preferred that our 2015 25FB had a non-pano front window, but we are happy with what we have got.

While I'm on the subject of "I wish Airstream" wouuld....", I have another comment. Old Lucy (our original 2005 Safari 25FB) had her main door hinged at the rear. We were later told at Jackson Center that she was one of the first ten FB's ever produced. After that point, they changed over to a front-hinged main door. Having camped in Lucy for over 1,300 nights, we prefer the rear hinged door and wish that New Lucy had it.

Brian

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #39
Jim D

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
We bought our airstream 3 years ago and actually don't remember what our preference was at the time. I think, like with most things, you get adjusted to the conditions that exist and end up concentrating on the pluses. Both FB and RB have them. Everyone has valid opinions so read up and then go with your gut.
jimdaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The one advantage of the FB is the tongue weight is less by about 100lbs. We have a 28’ RB International. But the reason we bought the 28’ vs. the 27’ is we like the lounge area in the 28’. We would have to crimp our necks to watch TV in the 27’ and it’s nice when my wife and I can sit and lounge comfortably. Also if I had a FB I would definitely want an awning on the back because the sun will beat in while your sitting. With the RB on the 28’ we can open up the tinted protector if we want or just keep it down.

The advantage of the RB is you get better access to the storage area. And if you get a Propride Hitch it makes access to the storage area really difficult. Just a thought.

Whether you get the RB or FB I would go with the 28’ over the 27’ simply due to the lounge area in the 28’. IMHO.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote