Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Steph---we were in a simular situation. With almost 5 acres the B&Z regs wouldn't allow a permanent type structure, so we used one of those tarp systems, along with putting in 3-4x6 treated posts on each side & then mounted the tarp legs on the posts. We also then added some cross rails to the sides & tops of the treated posts for strength. Enclosed the sides with tarps & now have the unit under cover. It is very easy to move in an out & also allows access for loading & unloading while under cover. As an added bonus I use the inside top cross members for access to the roof. We have had it this way for the last several years & It has worked fine ----so far. You may not want to go to this extreme, as the costs were a little more with the posts, etc. But if the city screams I can say it's not permanent. If the camera doesn't freeze up, when I go outside, I'll try to take a pic.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A.E.> I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of how you built yours up. If the current setup moves in the wind, I think putting posts in would be my next move...

Ok, here's a pic of it with the deck piers with 4x4x8 posts mounted horizontally. The feet of the cover are screwed down to the wood. It's VERY heavy now, and I'll be surprised if it moves. I'll keep a close eye on it. It lifted the canopy up high enough there shouldn't be any problem getting it in and out now.

Chester the Dal supervised our work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy4.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	4565  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Steph ---24 hrs & 2 foot of snow later I finally have apic & will try to attach it. Remember the way the package is wrapped doesn't mean there isn't a jewel inside. Like I said this set-up works fine for us. Inside I have put cross pieces in & use them for access to the roof. Doesn't matter if it's raining, etc if loading or unloading.
Best,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storag #3.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	4587  

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 01-26-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
steph --if you look at the center of the top, you can see the center of the tarp frame. Also in the summer the front is left open, so we have easier access, etc. Hope this helps for ideas. BTW, that's the Mr. Ernest T. Turbo in front, probably thinks we're going, but for now that's just wishful thinking.
Best,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storage#1.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4588  

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 01-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, I think Mr Turbo's going to have to wait for the spring thaw - you guys have really got it deep! Luckily we don't have that sort of weather to contend with, just rain rain rain. It's usually pretty well over by July though Thanks for the pics, You've really got that thing framed up pretty good.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Past Practices -

I used a similar canopy system over my boat for three years, or until the silvered tarp began to degrade into trash. I moved the frame to the coast last year and bought a new tarp with new ties and have yet to put it back together. Now we have an AS and this frame/tarp are coming back to town and set up in the storage yard. I like the 5 gal bucket plan and concrete since the storage yard might like it moved after we go. Ours came from HD and was on closeout at about 95$. The new tarp could be reodered from the company. I haven't checked the height but with the boat I could walk on deck without problems and the boat was on it's trailer.
Gerald Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
We've had some of the worst windstorms in the last few days that I have seen the whole four years we've been here. Trees were falling down all up and down the road, but our canopy stayed in place just fine. Not to say I wasn't standing outside in the driving rain at 2am watching it to make sure!

The only problem is that the feet are pretty well planted but the top leans back and forth with the wind. So today we tied it down by running cables from the top corners down to fence posts pounded into the ground on one side, and into an existing 4x4 planted in concrete on the side by the garage. Now it's solid as a rock, no motion at all, and I can have some peace of mind and sleep through the next windy night!

Old 02-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm a Believer

OK Steph. With your story of the wind storm and how your anchored canopy stayed put, I'm sold on the idea. I've had a canopy for over a year now, still in what's left of the box. I just need to get the AC on and I'll put up the canopy. Steph, can you take a close-up shot of one of the feet of the canopy with the wood and the concrete base so I'll get a clearer picture of what you did? Thanks.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

My Canopy

I didn’t have the option of concreting my cover in , so I strapped off to the house and two anchors on the other side. So far two months and some very strong storms later, it’s doing well.I extended the legs with 14” of fence post and padded the legs with pipe insulation just in case it contacted the Airstream. Come hurricane season it will have to come down, but such is life in the south.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2004, 08:09 PM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
I think the pipe insulation is a good idea. I had a heck of a time trying to back it in there, and finally handed it over to my husband to do the backing while I did the directing. I can see how a little accidental contact might come about! Plus if it suddenly falls over it would be padded (but that's just not going to happen)!

If I'd had enough room I would have put it somewhere where we could just drive through and not have to fight with backing it up into such a tight spot.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Well here is another idea from 'the peanut gallery.'

Get 6 friends over to help you move the canopy out of the way, park the trailer, then walk the canopy back over the trailer!
talmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Walking the canopy

Actually Talmage thats how we got the canopy over ours, four people and had the legs screwed in at the top of the canopy. Tryed to make it a drive thru because I didnt have the brakes hooked up LOL.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:57 AM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Flyfishr, here's a pic of the foot setup. The concrete blocks are deck piers with a metal saddle which fits the 4X4 post and they are screwed together. The leg is screwed to the post. There's one block under each foot. Like I said, it finally moved a little in the wind, and it was pretty good wind for us, but the big concern was the top of the conopy moving, and there was potential for it to touch the trailer, so we finally staked it down. But this certainly lifts it up enough to easily fit the trailer under. Notice our trailer doesn't have AC, so if yours does you might have to lift it a little higher.
Attached Images