Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not a thing wrong with it. I relate more with engineering mindset, but just never had the discipline to get the credentials. But, my applied tech career has allowed me to bridge the engineering community with the "normal" people. Hope that makes sense.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Protagonist....you're like a celebrity here...you have YOUR OWN THREAD!! How cool is that?!
The coolest thing about it is I DIDN'T START IT!

And thank you to EVERYONE who chimed in with well wishes, prayers, and "what happened?" questions while I was gone. Not only on this thread, but all over the Forums. And an extra special thank you to everyone who PMed me while I was gone. I really missed being here.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No, percussive maintenance a rule of, "if it doesn't work, hit it harder."

As seen in the original Star Wars, when Han Solo fixes the hyperdrive by smacking it a good one…

When I worked briefly at AECL (Atomic Energy Canada Limited) at the beginning of my career as a mechanical engineer, my boss - a metallurgist from the UK had lots of interesting expressions, some of which have stayed with me well over fifty years later.

One involved an acronym "BF&FI" which he had to explain to me stood for
"Brute Force and F'ing Ignorance!"

Probably not the best thing when working on nuclear reactors, but I'll have to admit, a philosophy that I have had to resort to at times - sometimes even with success!

Welcome back !

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #64

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
One involved an acronym "BF&FI" which he had to explain to me stood for
"Brute Force and F'ing Ignorance!"
I'm familiar with the clean version, BF&I. The difference in BF&I and percussive maintenance is knowing WHERE to hit it!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Protagonist

Speaking of professional mindsets, the bane of my romantic life was being an accountant. We have the reputation of being boring, analytical, and asking too many direct questions. The favorite response of one of my former girlfriends to anything I would ask her would be, "Don't talk to me like you were an IRS agent!" Many years before the movie came out, I remember having the same puzzled reaction that Ben Affleck, the high functioning autistic in "The Accountant," would probably experience if given the same response to one of his questions.

BTW, I solved that problem by marrying a geologist.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #66

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Speaking of professional mindsets, the bane of my romantic life was being an accountant. We have the reputation of being boring, analytical, and asking too many direct questions.
Kind of like engineers, but without the physics
Old 07-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
OH boy... Could I present with a number of challenges as I am launching into this major retrofit of my Travelux... Like how to stabilize my shell as I am taking it off over the week end...lucky girlfriend!
Juliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
Oh oh... This is what happen when you reply mid stream... Your reply goes at the bottom without having the benefit of the rest of the conversation. So protagonist is back and I can supply enough questions to keep you busy and stimulated for the next three years... pls forgive the girlfriend comment which was out of place given latest update.
Juliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliec View Post
OH boy... Could I present with a number of challenges as I am launching into this major retrofit of my Travelux... Like how to stabilize my shell as I am taking it off over the week end.
I wish I could help. But I've never been involved in removing a trailer shell (only coming out of my own shell).

Mark your calendars, folks! I actually admitted that there's something I don't know! Even though it will strike a serious blow to my engineering street cred…
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I know everything and have never been wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but found out later I was mistaken.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Welcome back.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
So glad to see you're back...have always enjoyed your comments, getting ready for more.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Best solution for an engineer is to marry a nurse.

47 years later, 4 kids, 8 grands, still married somehow.....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
interestingly, as I spent a ton of time with operators and doing plant operations, I spent many years convincing my operator friends that i was NOT an engineer......

they never believed me.....
I have that one nailed down. I explain to my plant operator clients that I'm actually the engineer's representative. What that means is that I do almost all the work, and then I bring the work product to my contract engineer who is licensed in the state of Texas, and he reviews, critiques, and ultimately seals the work product (for a handsome subcontractor fee which I pay him). This is explicitly within the bounds of proper engineering practice where the procedure is routinely stated in terms of, "the engineer or his authorized agent" has had direct interaction with the situation at hand, such that everyone has defensible confidence in the outcome.

The last time I met with my contract engineer at his offices, I happened to be driving our Interstate. I gave him a tour. I've never seen someone smile so much in my entire life - it made his day, because he didn't think such an off-grid creation was yet within the realm of possibility (at least not for the ordinary consumer). One day he hopes to do something similar in terms of a mobile office, only on a boat. I might end up giving him some guidance on creating it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
In my case I am an Engineer by default and without a degree. I have been at this university for 34 years and never passed a single course, never took one either!

I keep a linear accelerator lab functioning for the Professors. I design & build whatever we cant find or afford commercially. Electric, Electronic, Mechanical machining and welding for structural and vacuum equipment, I have been 'engineering' it since the early 80's
Now I am 'mostly' retired, but if I did not come in to show the new kid how it all works, this lab will literally fall apart.
So without the piece of paper, I cant officially call myself an Engineer, I just say (To myself) I am an Underpaid Overworked Omnipotent Handyman

BTW, having a full machine shop and electronics lab at your disposal is very handy when you have a MH that needs upgrades
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #76

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Now I am 'mostly' retired, but if I did not come in to show the new kid how it all works, this lab will literally fall apart.
Just remember, if you can't be replaced, you're not allowed to retire. Or to die. You may have just discovered the secret to immortality!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just remember, if you can't be replaced, you're not allowed to retire. Or to die. You may have just discovered the secret to immortality!
I do what I can to keep this place running and my shop privileges It is also nice to get some extra cash for the MH toys.
The Doc's dont see immortality in my immediate future, hence the semi retirement.
Being of an engineering mindset, It is all good
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
If you think you can't be replaced look around you, we are all replacements of a sort. In making a life change, don't let the ego overrule independence!
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
If you think you can't be replaced look around you, we are all replacements of a sort. In making a life change, don't let the ego overrule independence!
I went to an org meeting about a month ago, and there were dozens of new hire trainees there. Handwriting on the wall says, "the replacement units have arrived."

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Protagonist, you don't know me, but... Being on this forum for a couple of years now, I've found myself reading a LOT of your posts - mostly for my education, but often for entertainment.

I'm an aeronautical engineer, specializing in flight test. If the engineering mind wasn't enough to make people raise an eyebrow at me, throw in a little bit of aircrew and the picture is complete!

Anyways, glad to hear you're back, and in good health. Also happy to hear that "percussive maintenance" is alive and well. If brute force doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough!
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote