Old 01-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Greater Philly Area , Pennsylvania
Prospective buyer with a 2.5 year old - recommendations?

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, Airstreams, and have never owned an RV before. My husband has all of the experience, and we're toying with the idea of buying an RV for family vacations. I've always loved the look of Airstreams and love of the idea of creating memories with our 2.5 year old.

While other RV brands have different layouts that have bunks for her to sleep in, I'm aware I'd be sacrificing quality for a bunk bed, which sounds silly. We would be using the trailer for long weekends and maybe 1 longer week long vacation a year. I also don't see myself housing many guests, although I can picture my daughter inviting a friend over when she gets older. We're not big people and live pretty minimally.

That being said, I'd like to understand how important having a bunk is with children. My husband believes she'd be able to easily sleep on the dinette bed, I've been reading about the PeaPod that we could put on the bed to create a cozy place for her. Any experience with that set up with a very young child and did they sleep well? I'm worried that not having a designated spot for her to sleep may make it difficult for her to sleep. Also, her current bed time is 7pm and while I know she'll stay up later on vacations, I'm worried that we'll be too loud or there will be too much light with her out in the open on the dinette. Has anyone tried setting up a privacy curtain across the width? Lastly, we're not interested in getting a big model and the Flying Cloud 23CB w/ bunk looked nice because of the bunk, but I'm concerned that she might be too small for the bunk, scared, and may fall off. Would you agree? Also isn't the best that we don't get our own privacy with her up above us.

Sorry for the rant of questions, but anyone with experience or an opinion on how to make this work with a 2.5 year old would be great. I'm a nervous mom.

Ps - We're renting an RV this spring break to try the experience out, so a lot of my questions are coming from inexperience! Also, she's a pretty good sleeper normally with consistent 3-hour naps during the day and 7-7 bedtime at night. Not afraid of sleeping in the dark, sleeps with sound machine, still in crib because she doesn't seem to mind or try to crawl out, and when sleeping in hotels seems to be fine still with sleeping in a pack and play. At daycare, she takes naps on a cot, but I've never tried it personally.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

HazelForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
As you mentioned Airstream makes 'bunk' models. Here is the 23' model that you mentioned, where the bunk is above the bed. It might be ideal and you can make it so she can't fall out. It would be nice to be able to put the toddler to bed in a bedroom so you two can stay up and enjoy the lounge area and TV etc. The privacy curtain doesn't stop sound though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRMKT_2020_FlyingCloud23CBB_FloorPlan_Sandpiper_Resized-1600x0-c-default.png
Views:	11
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	359416

The 30' model has separate sleeping areas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRMKT_2020_FlyingCloud30FBB_FloorPlan_Sandpiper_Resized-1600x0-c-default.png
Views:	8
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	359417

Old 01-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Is your thinking that your daughter would sleep best with a dedicated sleeping space that can be cordoned off while she sleeps or naps and you are awake doing other things?

If so, then bunks theoretically do this. But in practicality I don't think a bunk is a good sleeping choice for a child that young.

In models like the 25 twin, the divider curtain makes it very easy to block off the sleeping area from the front area. This would let you put the child down for a nap (or dad or mom, for that matter) and close off the bedroom from the kitchen and door area. Having front and rear TVs also allows for some "rest time" watching a show while you sit front and enjoy some peace and quiet while reading or vice/versa. I think it would then be just a matter of pulling out the futon sleeper by the table and using that with a sleeping bag for your daughter at actual bed time. Or, frankly, with the twins there would be room for her to sleep on the floor between the 2 beds if that was best. Not real idea for you stepping out to use the bathroom, but there would be room for this and sometimes kids just want to be with mom and dad.

A 25 model would also allow mom and dad to have much better sleeping size bed than the puny corer bed in the 23 /bunk. That corner bed is the reason most buyers trade out of that rig. It is small, difficult to make the bed, and cramped.

If a 25 is beyond the size you want then I would suggest the 23 front bed or 22 front bed. These have a curtain across the front bed area allowing napping, and both have large comfortable sized adult beds.

I wouldn't get the 23 corner bed model at all.

I have owned a 22 sport, 25 twin, and now we have a 27 twin.

ps, with the twins, or the 22 or 23 front bed, one side of the bed is against the camper wall. Also the dinette bed would be agains the wall. This would make it easier for a child not to roll out of bed by using a bumper or row of pillows on the open edge.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote