Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Perception of Airstreamers

OK, this might be a delicate subject, but I'm new, so here goes:

Since I've become obsessed with the Airstream Nation lifestyle, I have been scouring the internet for as much info as I can, this forum being a major source. But there are others.

I have caught a whiff of an impression on some boards that Airstreamers are considered snobs, and/or arrogant, and/or clique-ish in the eyes of other rv'ers.

Now, I can imagine envy playing a big part here and a form of stereotyping and profiling, whatever. Frankly, I couldn't care less what others think of me or my (future) rig, but when I pull into a campground that is 99.9% non-Airstream, am I going to be judged as a holier-than-thou elitist before I even land the thing?

More to the point, will no one help me back the sucker into the site?

So, what say you guys? Have you experienced an anti-Airstream prejudice to the point of it ever being a problem, or am I getting paranoid over nothing?
Focuspuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I recently posed this question on a couple of other forums I participate in, and none of my friends on the BMW Motorcycle Owner's, Wine and Cigar Affectionados, or the Elite Coffee Connoisseurs think Muffy and I are the least bit snobby.

Snippy maybe, but snobby...Never.

Actually I think that the perception exists in some circumstances, but it's really hard to come accross as anyone serious when you camp in a 33 year old AS with pink flamingos strapped to the LP tanks.

Now if you'll excuse me, my Latte is ready.......

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuspuller View Post
. . . More to the point, will no one help me back the sucker into the site?
Would you want help from someone who might harbor a secret Airstream envy?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Can't tell you how relieved I am. Thanks.

I'll go back to decanting this bottle of '59 Lafite.

BTW, I was in Rock Hill in 1999 for four months on a job. Didn't see a Starbuck's.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Would you want help from someone who might harbor a secret Airstream envy?
Good point. Pull-throughs or nothing.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I get the feeling that almost every brand-specific forum for something that is a bit out of the ordinary can viewed as clique-ish by those outside. The T@B people love their T@Bs, the TrailManor folks love their trailers, etc.

Last weekend I towed my T@B - adorable little trailer that everyone seems to like - with a Mercedes GL 320 Bluetec I had borrowed from work. I'm not sure what people felt; well, probably that we were twits from Connecticut (Bernie Madoff's kids?!?), but whatever.

I guess the question boils down to this: would you buy a different RV to avoid the possiblity of a certain perception? I say get what you want and just be nice to people - and let them come in for a tour if they want.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have never experienced any anti-Airstream prejudice in our extensive Airstream travels. We have experienced a lot of interest in our Airtream and a lot of questions about it.

What we do experience is other campers asking us for technical assistance. Some RVers think that if you are pulling an Airstream, you must be some kind of RV expert.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The little people in their white boxes always are eager to help their betters back in. If they don't, they know they'll be whipped.

I just don't understand why my tires are all flat in the morning and my hose has been cut.

Well I'm off to bow down in front of a Prevost now and offer help to my master, but after dark….

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
I guess the question boils down to this: would you buy a different RV to avoid the possiblity of a certain perception? I say get what you want and just be nice to people - and let them come in for a tour if they want.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Like I said, I really don't care what some people might think, but was curious if there was actually overt hostility out there.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have never felt that folks in a campground held it against us because we are pulling an Airstream....to the contrary, most folks we talk to want to know more about it, are interested in it, etc etc... Even those with the big ol' class A rigs that cost your first born seem to be OK with our little Bambi parked next to them....and they are equally curious and respectful. We are fairly gregarious when in a campground and always make ourselves approachable to neighbors...we say "hey" to everyone that passes by and we do the same when we walk the dogs in the campground. I think just being friendly helps defuse any preconceived notion of being snobs just because we tow an AS.

As far as being cliquish goes...some of that may be because no matter how old or new an AS is, they all basically look the same so it's easier for "us" to recognize and acknowledge one another which may come off as being cliquish from afar. But that's just a matter of brand recognition between owners... I have never heard anyone say "Look! There's another Jayco!"...and perhaps the reason for that is that the basic design of any given brand changes through they years, which has not been the case with Airstreams. That, and the fact that we do have a strong, tangible sense of community through both WBCCI and the Forums.

Could you please pass the Grey Poupon...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Maybe they HAVE thought such and I didn't know it, but I've never felt that other campers thought I was some kind of holier-than-though uppity snob because I owned an Airstream. The Airstream seems to be more of a conversation starter than anything. Seems everyone has a story.

That being said, Airstreamers do tend to gravitate towards each other in a campground even when perfect strangers. Thus the cliqishness. Are we elitists? When you see a campsite complete with wicker sofa and cushions, and a table set with linens and full china place settings, wine chilling in a fashionable vessel, stemware, flowers on the table, well . . . yeah, it just might be an Airstreamer.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:

Tom
Absolutely. Like I said, I really don't care what some people might think, but was curious if there was actually overt hostility out there.[/quote]

Earlier joking aside, we've never experienced any off comments, or behavior. We have received numerous compliments, which are always pleasing.

We like anything with an awning attached to it, thought our preference is to silver, or vintage...Period. We take our Avion out to many largely Airstream functions, and we're always welcome.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Can't tell you how relieved I am. Thanks.

I'll go back to decanting this bottle of '59 Lafite.

BTW, I was in Rock Hill in 1999 for four months on a job. Didn't see a Starbuck's.
Starbucks???

Most of the folks around here think star bucks are something you see during hunting season. "Did y'all see em star bucks come through here a while ago?"

Actually we do have one in town, and it is funny watching some deer hunters in camo, and 4WD trucks pulling through the drive-thru ordering venti, pumpkin spice, skinny, no-whip, lattes.

Regards,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 07-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our experience is that there are some RV'ers, regardless of what they are driving and/or towing who seem a bit elitist. People are who they are, wherever they are and whatever they are in. We bought our Interstate because we loved it and still do, smile and say hello to everyone. We also get lots of questions, which we willingly answer and show the interior to anyone who is remotely interested.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
If you look around in a busy campsite you'll probably find a few trucks that have the Calvin sticker in the window that's peeing on the word "Ford" or "Chevy" or "Dodge". Those are the ones that certainly have their strong opinions. Unless you driving the same truck, with same 20" lift kit, same after-market exhaust, with 35" off-road tires, and have "truck balls" hanging from the hitch, your not going to be in their clique.

I've only had positive experiences with the Airstream so far. Every time out, at least one person will stop by and mention how someone in their family used to have one, or they had one 30 years ago, and they want to talk about how much they love the way they look. Usually someone will ask what year ours is, and then they are surprised they're still being made.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The closest thing we have experienced with Airstream prejudice was over spring break of this year. We went to the campground at Tallulah Gorge (GA. Power operated). The first site was too steep to get our 30' Airstream into without hanging up the bumper on the ground so we pulled away and asked for another site. After backing into the site we discovered that the water and power connections were at the front of the site and too far to reach with the power cord and water hose we had with us. So we requested another site. All three sites were within one or two sites of some folks in an older SOB motor home. While I was backing into the final site, my wife overheard the guy at the motor home make the remark, "There moving again!" My wife told him that we couldn't reach the power connection with our cord. He then replied, "If you want electricity, stay home." When my wife told me this she said, "Just wait until we get out the satellite dish and set it up. I just shrugged it off and that night we enjoyed grilling the fillets my wife brought from home and a nice Bordeaux over dinner.

People are what they are. That guy was just a little too nosy and a little on the grumpy side. Besides, we were providing some late afternoon entertainment with our version of musical camp sites.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My parents were Airstreamers in the '80's and '90's, until my dad passed away 10 years ago: Mom once referred to non-airstreamers (which included us at the time) as "riffraff". She still denies it........ and we still laugh about it!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We have been met more with curiosity than anything and we find most campers friendly and willing to help but then we hardly look like -what was that word or yeah yuppies-hippies (old hippies) maybe, in our 65 Ambassadoe with now about an eight of a polish job!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It's obvious that Airtreamers have more class then other RV people...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTQ3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	84521  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I compare having an Airstream kind of like driving a Corvette. All owners check out each others and its the same way with Airstreams.

I think every time we camped someone would come up and comment about our Airstream either they want one, had one, parents had one or just think they are neat.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote