Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our portable microwave is too small to accommodate a normal plate. It's ok for heating a small bowl at the most or a cupcake or small portion item.

That said, it does run on 12 volts if I clip it right to the battery terminals. We use it on 110ac most of the time.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We use corelle in the camper and at home. Set of four with a couple extra bowls on the road. Chicago knives, same Oneida wear as we got as wedding presents 38 years ago. We don't store the corelle in any special way, just stacked on a shelf, never had any break so far.

Stainless steel wine goblets and beer pints, ceramic coffee mugs.

Coffee grinder, whip cream maker, crockpot, dutch ovens and mocamaster coffee machine all used routinely. We used to travel with Waterford mickey mouse champagne glasses but have left them home for the past couple of years.

Paper plates only when we have family dinners.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1549790]I have decided I want to camp with Landshark, and share a meal with them.

I will put on especially pretty clothes, full make-up, and bring whatever bread, dessert or side they wish.

Seriously.....altho I will not be carrying fine tableware and table cloths, there is something very appealing about that formality.

Reminds me of nice restaraunts with sweet hubby, also the train trip to and from Seattle, WA.....a sleeping car included meals in the dining car, complete with tablecloth, proper flatware, glasses, and uniformed waiters.

Streaming thru the countryside at dusk, dressed for dinner, nice glass of wine in hand......one of the best trips ever.

Maggie, you are welcome to dine with us anytime--we would love to enjoy your company. I can't promise great food, but it will be served on great dishes!

You mention the train: we took the Eastern & Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore several years ago and it was the absolute height of luxury--everyone dressed for dinner (adv lit specified no t-shirts, no jeans on board), all food freshly prepared, exquisite service, beveled glass in the tiny shower in our sleeper--it felt like we were in a Bogart movie. Given the quality of Airstreams, we try to replicate that feeling of luxury whenever we can on the 34'. However, in the smaller trailers, we can't manage that so are happy with less formal settings, although we still detest eating on paper and use it only as a last resort.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Like being in a Bogart movie....yes.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #85
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
[QUOTE=Landshark;1550982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have decided I want to camp with Landshark, and share a meal with them.

I will put on especially pretty clothes, full make-up, and bring whatever bread, dessert or side they wish.

Seriously.....altho I will not be carrying fine tableware and table cloths, there is something very appealing about that formality.

Reminds me of nice restaraunts with sweet hubby, also the train trip to and from Seattle, WA.....a sleeping car included meals in the dining car, complete with tablecloth, proper flatware, glasses, and uniformed waiters.

Streaming thru the countryside at dusk, dressed for dinner, nice glass of wine in hand......one of the best trips ever.

Vivian
We took Amtrak last month round trip from Sandpoint, ID to Boston. Sadly the nice table settings are gone. The dining car still has regular flatware and some table cloths, but the plates are now heavy plastic, napkins and cups are paper, and worst of all, they did away with the glass wine glasses.

Fortunately we had brought our own (cheap crystal) wine glasses for our private preprandial wine before dinner (in our "roomette.") We started taking these glasses to dinner, to the general approval of the wait staff. I think most of them prided themselves on their quality of service: when I inquired most were unhappy about the changes, which they said were a cost-cutting measure.

Which is why we prefer RVing, because you can have your table ware pretty much the way your want it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's too bad.

We went in October of 2005, I think, and were on the Empire Builder.

It was a lovely, lovely trip.

Maggie