Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2022, 10:26 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Black Diamond , Washington
Ozone machine

I have a 68 Caravel that the window was left open and the cushions became soaked this was not discovered for a few weeks everything’s dry today but we have that musty mildew smell now.. has anyone used a Ozone Machine and had any luck removing smells? And corrosion is a big worry using a Ozone Machine? looking for some experience and advice or anyone know another way to remove musty mildew smells
Kurtmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:53 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I've used an ozone machine to remove lingering odors from our Excella, running it twice for a few hours. It helped quite a bit and after the second time removed it enough that my hyper sniffer doesn't notice anything when I walk through the door.

That said, I also had a concern about damage from the machine. Apparently the ozone machines can cause damage to plastic parts throughout the trailer. If you are only trying to get the odor out of the cushions, I'd pull them from the trailer and address them directly.

For the coverings, if they are removable it might be possible to have them dry cleaned.

Otherwise, if I was trying to get odor out of the seat cushions I'd try and use the ozone machine in a place which had little chance to do collateral damage, like an empty garage or outbuilding. As long as the room they're in closes fairly tightly, the ozone should penetrate and be able to do its job.

The ozone will destroy what ever is living in the cushions and hopefully take care of the odor.

As a side note, I've found that the ozone machine did a great job on our enclosed back steps/porch. I used it to get rid of urine odor from the dog the previous owner kept out there - odor gone. An added bonus is that the ozone also got rid of the stink bugs which were hiding in the walls & ceiling on the porch. After using the machine I found hundreds of dead stink bugs on the floor.

Be sure you don't enter the space with the ozone machine running and let it ventilate for a few hours before going back in.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote