Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Outdoor Kitchen on an Airstream?

My recent trip gave me a chance to walk around the park and check-out the other trailer manufacturers. I was the only Airstream there; the balance consisted of approximately 60 motor homes, SOB travel trailers and toy haulers.

A few of the SOBs had outdoor kitchens. I talked to the owners - they all loved this feature. One woman said she appreciated cooking outside when the weather was hot. One man said he liked his outdoor kitchen because he could cook the bacon outside and not stink-up the inside of the trailer. Another couple said they liked the outdoor kitchen for the fridge - a cold beer was always within range when sitting outside. Their outdoor kitchen was really attractive; it featured faux slate stone on the facade.

So, this got me thinking about an outdoor kitchen on an Airstream. Would you like to see Airstream incorporate some of the SOB design features like an outdoor kitchen?

Personally, I am indifferent about the outdoor kitchen option on an Airstream. With a few take-alongs like a Hibachi barbeque and a Coleman stove, I can also cook outside. I also have a small convection oven that I could utilize with the trailer's outdoor plug-in.

But I did like the bonus cupboard storage.
I also liked the slide-out preparation area. Would be a great area for an oudoor buffet.

One thing that would worry me about an outdoor kitchen on an Airstream is the violation of the outer shell intergrity; another source of a potential leak.

However, I'd love to see a retro outdoor kitchen on a vintage Airstream. Remember those turquoise and pink appliances from the 1950s? That would be really kewl on a redone Airstream. Anyone here thinking of doing this on their restoration project?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: should Airstream remain true to its tradionalist roots, or would you like to see some of the SOB options?

(Typical SOB outdoor kitchen featuring a fridge, microwave, sink, and two-burner range.)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't have any opinions about it...............,

I just think it's plain silly and a waste of space. That's what picnic tables or folding tables and camp stoves are for.

Or another thought........ Leave the windows and doors open and use the kitchen that is already there.

Oh, oh, another idea,

Cut the outside wall around the inside kitchen and mount it on a swivel so you can just turn it to the outside.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I don't have any opinions about it...............,

I just think it's plain silly and a waste of space. That's what picnic tables or folding tables and camp stoves are for.

Or another thought........ Leave the windows and doors open and use the kitchen that is already there.

Oh, oh, another idea,

Cut the outside wall around the inside kitchen and mount it on a swivel so you can just turn it to the outside.

Ken
Ken, your point about redundancy and excess is well taken. Thanks for your opinion.

I don't know if I like the swivel idea. Again, another area that could jeopardize the over-all structural integrity, IMO.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I'm looking at the Evergreen specifically because it has an outdoor kitchen.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Outdoor cooking has some advantages. Haven't I seen some kind of foldup stainless steel camp kitchen that would complement the Airstream, and stow in the back of the truck?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I'm looking at the Evergreen specifically because it has an outdoor kitchen.
Denis, this could be interesting. We know the folks at Jackson Center read these forums.

It again raises a good question: should Airstream remain true to tradition?
Would a deferral from that tradition turn Airstream into another SOB trailer with a shiny exterior?

Would the former or latter lure more Airstream customers?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Outdoor cooking has some advantages. Haven't I seen some kind of foldup stainless steel camp kitchen that would complement the Airstream, and stow in the back of the truck?

doug k
Doug,
That would look kewl with an Airstream, but I wouldn't want to bother with the task of lugging it around.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ken, your point about redundancy and excess is well taken. Thanks for your opinion.

I don't know if I like the swivel idea. Again, another area that could jeopardize the over-all structural integrity, IMO.
I hope you realized that everything I said except the part about it being silly was said tongue in cheek.

Also no need to thank me for my opinion, save that for things of value.

Ken
Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
I hope you realized that everything I said except the part about it being silly was said tongue in cheek.

Also no need to thank me for my opinion, save that for things of value.

Ken
You got me!` ha! ha!
Point taken~!

I see you are a retired ATC. My friend flies for an airline; I think he takes everything a ATC says pretty seriously....thank gawd! I guess I got it from him.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. While it is interesting and convenient, it seems a duplication of appliances, not really necessary...and adds a lot of extra weight. Seems to me that we can cook outside easily enough with a grill or Coleman stove when desired. We also use a cooler for beverages and an electric cooler for extra cooling space when we are going to have electricity. We don't need another built-in fridge.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hmmm. While it is interesting and convenient, it seems a duplication of appliances, not really necessary...and adds a lot of extra weight. Seems to me that we can cook outside easily enough with a grill or Coleman stove when desired. We also use a cooler for beverages and an electric cooler for extra cooling space when we are going to have electricity. We don't need another built-in fridge.
TBRich, I am of the same opinion. What next? A slide-out outdoor bedroom....or how about a slide-out ouotdoor bathroom made to look like an outhouse for that a la naturel experience. One holer or two?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
TBRich, I am of the same opinion. What next? A slide-out outdoor bedroom....or how about a slide-out ouotdoor bathroom made to look like an outhouse for that a la naturel experience. One holer or two?
That has something in common with the outdoor kitchen.

It also would keep the smell out of the trailer.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
But I do like these outdoor toilet paper/outhouse lights or.....
It's farty time!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
That has something in common with the outdoor kitchen.

It also would keep the smell out of the trailer.
Yes, but would it attract the bears....or a moose in heat?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is this: should Airstream remain true to its tradionalist roots, or would you like to see some of the SOB options?
I think that Airstream can and should remain true to its traditionalist roots, but at the same time continue be true to Wally's creed and make improvements.

Now, I cannot say if an outdoor kitchen would be an improvement, for some it might be. For me, one of the things that I like about Airstreams is that I feel like I'm camping, not merely dragging my den around the country. That said however, I see nothing wrong with including some SOB options on the Airstreams if they make sense. I just wish that Jackson Center would be a little bit more forthcoming about what options are available and at what cost.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We've had our little mpg since December, and we've never used the stove. The microwave, yes, but not the stove. We carry a small Coleman propane stove, and I just set it up on the picnic table to fix my bacon and eggs.

Yesterday we visited the Rally in Branson for a bit. Many people had a crockpot going outside, or otherwise had evidence that some cooking is done outside. Personally, I don't think that I'd want to give up the storage space that a full outdoor kitchen would take. I do understand the convenience of a small refrigerator and stove outside, though.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Note

All of the fridges for the outside kitchens that I have seen were electric. I think it is a ventilation issue. Just saying
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

That's what picnic tables or folding tables and camp stoves are for.
Ken
Agreed....

what ours look's like.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20087.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	142879  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Get an Eddy Bauer model and build the kitchen inside the rear hatch. You could move some stuff around in the lounge and build the kitchen the full width of the trailer. Just raise the hatch and there is your deluxe kitchen. You would even have the pull-down screen available to keep flies away when not actively cooking.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
what I would like to see on an Airstream is an outdoor shower hook up. I don't know how do it but some way or another have a hook up about 7 ft up and a way to plug in a shower head. maybe someway to hook up a half moon shower curtain rod that you put up also.
I always need a place to hose my kids off when they get out of a river or lake. And there are remote places where an outside shower would be nice to have.
that's my dream
M
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote