Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Outdoor BBQ

Been looking for a propane BBQ to carry along, anyone out there with some recommendations/suggestions? What is the hot setup?
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2021 27' Globetrotter
Aguanga , California
Melvin,

Please post details on how you plan to tap into the existing gas system. Our old SOB had a small valve under the body toward the rear on the curb side. There was a braket for a two burner camp stove on the side of the trailer and the whole thing was just outside the awning. It worked OK, but was not easy to get to. To do the same on our Soverign looks lke we would have to tie into the line at the waterheater and then run across the belly. That seems like a whole lotta work. I sure would like to see an unbeleavably clever and easy solution !

Richard Menz
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

There are relatively few things in this life that are reliable, functional and durable. Airstreams, of course, are one such product. Weber grills are another.

As the owner of a 25 year old Weber Kettle grill, there was only one choice for our 25' Sovereign - a Weber Go-Anywhere grill. I bought the charcoal model as I prefer to grill over charcoal, but they also make a propane model. I suppose it would be possible to make a connection to the trailer propane system, but I can't imagine it would be worth the bother. From their website: "Uses disposable 1 lb. Liquid Propane (LP) cylinders, or can be adapted for refillable tanks. " A good friend uses the propane version and says it works great.

The big feature for me is that the legs fold back to secure the lid tightly for storage, and in that configuration it will juuussst barely slide into the rear storage locker. They are small, but I grill for just the two of us, or sometimes three.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I personally prefer charcoal to gas. I have a wonderful portable BBQ'er called a Pyromid. When collapsed, it measures about 12" x 1". It is made out of stainless steel and can be washed either in a diswasher, or by hand. The grill size is 12" and the unit only uses 9 charcoal briquites. As mentioned above, the whole unit fits into a little tote bag when not in use. The Pyromid cost around $100.00. I was going to order another one about a year ago, but was told that the company went out of business. However, I do recall getting an email from someone saying a British company is now manufacturing them. Do a couple of Google searches and you may come up with someone who has these. They really are worth pursueing.

Try this first: http://www.pyromid.net/oldsite/
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I'd second j54mark. I have had both the LP and charcoal Weber Go-Anywhere (charcoal now) and it works great. Well built, and I expect it to last several years. I have to put the bottom half in the rear storage, then the top and flip legs up to secure in my Bambi.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds very similar to my set up. I went charcoal too. I have the baby weber and although I have not used it yet, based on my positive exp with it's larger cousin, I expect great things from it. I also have it tucked away in my Bambi, but under the front dinette seat (passenger side).

Personally, I think the charcoal cooking tastes better. Sure gas is faster and less of a pain, but the taste (IMHO) has never met that of the charcoal grill. At home I have an LP grill. Love it, but I kind of wanted to get back to basics when I went camping (if that is possible with a fridge, water heater, flush head, oven, etc).

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I have a little smokie (baby weber) works great but it's not travel friendly. Walkling through Publix one day I came accross this little $29 deal. Closed it's about a 10 inch diameter drum about 14 inchers long. It has a latch and a handle to make it easy to carry. Open it up and it provides two 8x13 inch grill surfaces. Works great and it's much easier to travel with then the little Smokie.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I used an Extend-A-Flow which is made by Marshall Brass. This is a T assembly that screws into one of your propane tanks in the threads associated with the hose that connects to the regulator. You screw that hose into the Extend-A-Flow. There then is a capped thread which used to connect a longer flexable gas line which in turn is connected to your gas grill.

It works pretty good and the only limiting factor is the length of the flexable hose. For those who do a lot of grilling, this saves a lot of $$ on disposable tanks or the need to carry a separate refillable tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #9

Like Jack, we use the Extend-A-Flow. We wouldn't do without it.

Years ago, we bought a Thermos brand BBQ that we love.

To go with the Airstream motif, it is cast aluminium. It is discontinuted, but we had bought a 2nd one for Mike's mother and I found a brand new one in a thrift shop for $15.
We have already burned to death one burner. But we have 2 other left for spare parts.
When our first one died in Maine, we bought a $20 piece of crap of a BBQ at WM, and UPS ours home.

For legs, we use a walker. Folding aluminium. Mike collects them because they look so useful. They fit in the long narrow compartment by the door in the 1974.

Our "home" BBQ with walker
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #10

1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Donnellson , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Tinovations Send a message via Yahoo to Tinovations
I use the Small Sea-b-que purchased from Dickinson Marine. My wife nearly fainted when I told her what I paid for it but it's a wonderful unit!

Made almost entirely of Stainless Steel, unless i misplace it I'm sure I'll be using this one till the day I go poof!

Here's the link below. Hold on to your chair when you see the prices.

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop/...-barbecues.asp
Attached Images

Tinovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the Sea BQ idea. Has anyone used the Grill 4 All stainless grill? That looks like a quality product also.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #12

Stainless steel BBQ are the best. Unfortunately, the choices are more limited and they tend to be $$ and heavy.

The one we have on our picture "home BBQ" is all stainless. We bought it at Sam's Club 2 years ago for about $90.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

If that BBQ comes with all that snow, I think I'll pass.

Do you really BBQ in wheather like that???
Old 04-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Do you really BBQ in wheather like that???
Not that crazy, just to lazy to put it away for the winter. When the trailer's steps get too icy, we cannot take the risk of spilling the shallots off the steak.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:26 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Still stand by my post. Charcoal has a distinct taste that beats the conv of gas. Of course when not on the road, LP gas is king.

Regards,

Eric
Old 04-01-2003, 05:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Let me get this straight, when you are home and have all the room you need, the ability to store briquets you use gas? Traveling you use charcoal because the food tastes better?

I have both at home but since I got the gas Webber, I haven't used the charcoal one. Convenience, convenience. I really can't taste a difference unless I use mesquite charcoal and need to cook briskets or ribs all day long.

Gotta go, I just made myself hungry!!!!!!!!!!
SASS #41766
Old 04-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's basically right. I don't carry the tanks or the connections when I'm on the road. I like the taste of BBQ on charcoal (and I carry small amounts with me), but I'm also into the conv of gas when I'm home. More times than not, I don't want to spend a bunch of extra time on the BBQ when home mostly cause I entertain when home and it's easier and more conv. When I'm on vacation or away from home, I try to get out of the instant gratification mode of thinking and go back to basics (somehwhat). I know it sounds a bit odd, but hey to each their own.

I'm the same way when I camp. I usually don't seek out electricity, yet when home, I have it in bulk if I'm willing to pay for the amps. To me, I am all for conv, but also, I try to balance being away from home too and doing things a bit different than I might when I'm home.

Eric
Old 04-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Makes sense to me.
SASS #41766
Old 04-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melvin, check out Ducane BBQ's. They make a very small but rugged portable unit. Well made and easy to carry/set-up. It's a full blown gas bbq and I use mine regularly in the field.
Dr. Harold Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Melvin, here's the URL to the Ducane portable unit:

http://www.ducane.com/take_it_or_leave_it.asp

Have fun!
Dr. Harold Becker is offline   Reply With Quote