Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm just glad they both got out alive! My sister and I have traveled through Arizona - and I'll be the first to say it, She is an even better driver than I am. However she nearly got five of us killed due to one moment's inattention in Winslow Arizona. The rental car agency charges extra for cleaning the seats.

Anyone, no matter how experienced can have a lapse, and even one or two seconds can lead to a tragedy.

At least your wife and sister in law were wearing seat belts - and boy - did those belts perform!

Thanks for sharing. It will help us all be more careful.

Paula
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #82
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Having worked for several years in accident investigation, the pictures paint a grim story. At first glance I woundn't have guessed that both occupants survived.
Seat belts are the primary life savings device and they do save lives every day. Airbags and safety cages can only work if the occupants are in a predicted position in the vehicle otherwise they can kill you. Im thankful that your angels followed you all the way down the hill for a safe exit. What a telling story here for us to all learn from.
Thanks for sharing.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #83
Rivet Master

The only time I went down that stretch of highway I came around a bend and saw about five or six(I couldn't count them all) vehicles off the road. Some in the ditch, some in the desert, all upsidedown or on their sides. They had hit black ice on a shady part of the road, on a bend. I went by VERY SLOWLY. It was a wake-up call to me at the time. I had slowed down coming into the same turn by dumb luck, or premonition. It could easily have been me and my wife and kids out in the ditch.
You can't be too careful!
Keep the rubber side down,
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I read every post. Wow. Glad everyone is all right. Based on the description of events provided, I'm not sure sway control would have helped.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Although this happened 2 years ago, it is wonderful that it has resurfaced. To remind all of us to take things easy, slowly and with caution. Too often we get into a hurry and forget the basics.
Hopefully after all this time the insurance issue was settled to your satisfaction.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
What an experience. I'm glad no one was hurt... and thanks for sharing. We pulled the same stretch of road last December.... after picking up our trailer in Los Angeles. We were on our way to Santa Fe for medical treatments and had a tight schedule. We fought high winds, dust storms and icy roads. At one time I had our brand new AS sideways on I-40, when we hit a patch of ice at 5:30 in the morning. I quickly found the first exit, we parked and went back to bed until the roads started to thaw. We had only spent one night in it in a Wal Mart parking lot and I just knew I was about to call my insurance agent and give him the bad news. But God was watching over us and it was a good learning lesson to not push yourself when mother nature throws you her worst.

On another subject. I noticed your Camaro in your pic....very nice looking car!! Do you still have it? We are headed to Cruisin The Coast in Mississippi the first week of October for the week long cruise event. We have a couple of Boss Mustangs and plan to take the 70 Boss 302. It is a wonderful event. Take care and thanks for sharing. THis is a great site!
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Thank you for sharing and may I echo all the good wishes. As a very inexperienced driver I appreciate all the advise given.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
This thread should be required reading. So glad everyone lived to tell the tale.

We're heading through that very same area next month and I was debating using our Highlander for the TV as it's more cushy. But I think I'll stick with the 3/4 ton Silverado.

Safe travels,

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
This note is referring to your post about three years ago regarding fish-tailing: a pro trucker told me that you want to "stretch it out" by gently applying the trailer brakes AND gently accelerate the tow vehicle, even if it means going too fast. That should hopefully control the fishtail, then use the trailer brakes to slow down the whole rig until speed is fully under control.

I got into a fish=tail with a Mercury wagon (coil springs) full of little girls and a trailer overweight at the rear, and only a very stubborn guard rail kept us on the highway. Next purchases were a long-wheelbase van, and a pullrite hitch. I've since had many different combinations of rigs, but none with coil springs, and always with well adjusted trailer brakes.
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote