Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2003, 09:25 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cool Not looking anymore!

Well, my search has finally ended, and like always, not where I expected. We ran an ad in the local paper this weekend saying we were looking for an AS, and got a call from a man a couple hours away who wanted to sell his 1968 Caravel. We drove down to look at it and it was orginal and perfect, just like he claimed on the phone. Everything worked, and he spent some time showing me how it all worked and how to light everything, and everything seemed to be just like it should be. The outside was scratch and dent free and even polished (not like a mirror, but really shiney). I couldn't even find any reason to haggle with his price, so we bought it. Monday we'll be enlisting a friend to help tow it home and then I'll have pictures for everyone.

Before I was looking for a fixer-upper to modify to my taste, but now we've found this wonderful original trailer, so we'll just be maintaining it in it's original condition and enjoying it. It has a side pullout and a dinette in the front. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was an awning. Well, now I just need a tow vehicle for it and we'll be set.

By Tuesday I should have pictures and more details :-)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Look forward to seeing some pictures.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
super!

congrats!

looking forward to the photos!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Thumbs up

Sounds great! I would like to see some pics, haven't seen any Caravels myself, heard they are sort of one-of-a-kind and rare. When I was looking for my second A/S I was really looking for a Tradewind but ended up with the Overlander which I am happy with except I will be polishing a few more feet than originally expected.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #5
pap

Thumbs up

Ditto the Congrats.

now what is this about a side pull out?
I had no idea that vintage Airstreams had pullouts.
Something new every day I guess.

Quote:
"It has a side pullout and a dinette in the front. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was an awning."
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I think she is referring to the side "gaucho", a couch that pulls out and makes into a bed.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 05:56 PM   #7
pap

Chas you are probably correct.However I always thought a "gaucho" referred to a dinette where the table lowered and that became a bed platform.?

Maybe the lady will be kind and clarify.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sorry, pap

A gaucho in trailer lingo is a couch that makes into a bed. Lots of trailer manufacturers use the term ... I first encountered it with Scamp.

Interestingly, the word is not listed as such in the American Standard Dictionary. Only the south American cowboy reference is listed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Sorry, pap

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
A gaucho in trailer lingo is a couch that makes into a bed. Lots of trailer manufacturers use the term ... I first encountered it with Scamp.

Interestingly, the word is not listed as such in the American Standard Dictionary. Only the south American cowboy reference is listed.
Does it actually have to pull out? THe sofa in ours does form a bed but no pull out. The rear cushion comes off and reveals an extra 14-18 inches of bed.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, the side couch pulls out into a bed. I wasn't sure what the correct term for it is. You grab the wood below the seat cushions, lift and pull it out, and then there are three little foot-tall legs that fit into holes along the front edge of it (nearest the kitchen counters), to hold it up. There are storage drawers underneith.

Also the dinette makes into a bed, the table drops down, and there are cushions stored beneith it to put on the table and make a bed out of that area as well. It looks cozy, to say the least :-) While it is a dinette, the table is at a funky angle, I guess to give you more room to get in and out of the trailer, and to slide onto the bench. It bothered me at first but I got used to it after I was in there a while.

I can't wait to get it home and start cleaning it up and exploring it. Looks like we're going to go get it tomorrow at noon, so I'll probably have pictures by tomorrow afternoon.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:36 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Angled dinette

Quote:
While it is a dinette, the table is at a funky angle, I guess to give you more room to get in and out of the trailer, and to slide onto the bench. It bothered me at first but I got used to it after I was in there a while.
One of the old Bambis at our vintage rally had the angled dinette. It sure looks odd at first glance. It seemed to make the best use of the limited space, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Done Looking

Hey Stephanie, I'm glad to see that you found the one. It was a great mystery to see what you would find. It's a woman's purogitive to change her mind. Looking forward to pics. Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Nice!

Wow, I love your Airsteam. What a find. Enjoy!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote