Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

1963 28' Ambassador
Oxford , Alabama
No control panel

Hi there I’ve just bought a 1963 ambassador airstream and I’ve liked some jump leads to the exterior battery and only the outside light came on by the door. I’ve looked and found a fuse blurs all cut up in the end bathroom cupboard on the floor... when I look into the airstreams more and more, I see everyone has a control panel with every information on it. Imcluding if the tanks full etc. How come I don’t have one? Thanks
Henry7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lots of misspelled words in your post.
You coach probably did not have a control panel. My '74 Argosy was not equipped with one.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up No control panel

Greetings Henry7777!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

As time goes by, you will find that there are many features found on many newer Airstreams that are not found on our Vintage coaches. The monitor panels didn't come about until the 1970s, and initially they were only standard on the premium models while optional on some of the lesser models. That doesn't make our Vintage coaches any less -- it just means we have fewer pieces of technology to cause problems as it ages.

If you haven't owned your 1963 Ambassador for long, you may be learning a number of things that set our Vintage coaches apart from newer Airstreams.
  • Airstream didn't provide Owners' Manuals until 1964. Prior to that, the new owner was provided with a manila envelope filled with individual manuals for each of the installed appliances and accessories. (A 1964 Owners' Manual might help to answer some of your questions about your coach, but there will be a few differences between 1963 and 1964). Manuals can bee found at this link.
  • Airstream didn't provide gray water tanks until 1974 so our 1960s era coaches only have blackwater tanks located immediately below the toilet.
  • Your coach may have either a demand water system with a plastic water tank and a water pump, or a pressurized system with a metal water tank and an electric air pump. The demand water system became standard in 1964 according to my notes.
  • Unless added by a later owner, your coach will not have a Univolt or other power converter to convert 120-volt AC to 12-Volt AC as the Univolt system did not become standard until 1964. Your coach likely has two separate systems for 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC -- meaning that your light fixtures will likely have both AC and DC bulbs -- and certain appliances will have "power converters" mounted beside them so that they can always run on 12-volt DC (such as 12-volt ceiling vent fans, 12-volt furnace fan, 12-vot water pump or air pressure pump)/
  • Several other features will be dictated by whether your coach is a Land Yacht or a Land Yacht International.

Good luck with your Ambassador!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As a former owner of a '63, I can tell you there was no monitor panel in that model. The 12v system was run alongside the 120v system, and most were duplicated, or had small individual transformers for things like roof vents. 12v and 120v lighting was shared in fixtures, one bulb 12v, the other 120v.There were fuses in several locations inside and underneath the trailer. One place you will find fuses is under the trailer, inside a small plate screwed to the belly pan.

Water was supplied using pressurized air, either through a schrader valve on the tank cap, or a small compressor that pressurized the system. You won't find a converter in there, either.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:42 AM   #5

1963 28' Ambassador
Oxford , Alabama
Thank you guys! Yeah sorry my phone keeps adjusting my words! I will enjoy this project! Good luck
Henry7777 is offline   Reply With Quote