Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Moorestown , New Jersey
NJ vintage owners...I need help

Hey all I have a '71 Tradewind and I don't know how to work the propane systems. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial. I am in Moorestown NJ. Please help.
737driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
NJ vintage owners...I need help

Like many vintage trailers yours could have a shut off valve for each appliance located under the coach. The gas valve handle should be inline with the pipe for gas to flow. If it is perpendicular the gas will be shut off. The handle only moves 90 degrees.
Assuming you have an intact delivery system with no leaks.
First open the valve on top of the propane tank.
Locate the shut off valve for the cook top. Note: this valve may be located under the cook top cover. But check below the coach.
You should hear a hissing sound when gas is flowing. Light each burner, let them burn until you get a steady flame.
Any appliance with a standing pilot or burner in the refer will take time to bleed the air from the lines. Lighting the cook top first removes a lot of air, but not all.
The appliances such as the oven, furnace, refer and water heater have pilot override buttons you hold until the thermocouple detects flame and allows the pilot to stay lit once you release the override button. Lighting these units is much like lighting the water heater in your home.
Again look for a shut off valve for each appliance close to where the gas line enters the coach for that appliance.
The refer must be in the gas mode not the electric mode.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote