RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
This simulator is for HD trucks, not recreational vehicles, but the concepts are the same. Just don't try and turn as sharply.

https://americantrucksimulator.com/

Here is a video of backing up a semi trailer using the above software. They have a part 2 video as well.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
A site with some good tips...

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/pro-t...g-up-a-trailer
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #23
Vaquitaboss

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
Cell phone on hands free

Hi All,
Great information on backing. The only add that we use is having my wife call me on my cell phone from her cell phone. With hands free, it could not be simpler.
vaquitaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This simulator is for HD trucks, not recreational vehicles, but the concepts are the same. Just don't try and turn as sharply.

https://americantrucksimulator.com/

Here is a video of backing up a semi trailer using the above software. They have a part 2 video as well.

Yep, I think I'm going to get this. It's literally the only decent simulator I can find. And it looks excellent quality too. It's a shame they don't do conventional trailer towing so I was holding off before I checked with AirForums to see if there were any other games that might be more accurate!
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #25

1977 31' Sovereign
Winterville , Georgia
The best advice I've ever gotten about backing up is the principals of where to start your vehicles before backing. It is counterintuitive to me but when you're backing up (especially in tight quarters which is like basically every campground ever) you need to position your rig as close as possible on the same side of the road to the spot that you're backing up into. This is because the real challenge spatially is having enough room on the side of the road/driveway opposite of the place you're trying to back into. This is because as you swing around, the front end your tow vehicle is going to swing way around toward the opposite side of the road and you need to have enough room from the get-go to avoid any obstacles over there.
Conversely, when pulling forward into a spot, you'll want to be as far on the opposite side of the road to allow enough space for your trailer to follow around the back of you and not cut the corner and end up in the ditch.
Aside from that, watching the recommended videos and having some of the principals down is definitely going to help but, in the end, practice is what's really going to help. Go slow and don't be embarrassed to pull in and out 200 times to get it right. Everyone's been there.
Dr Muscovado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #26
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Backing up

Iím a professional driver and the only way to get really good at it is practice.
Years ago to get ready for my licensing test I used a toy car with a trailer to see how each interacted with each other,
Others have mentioned good ideas, hand on the bottom of the steering wheel is a good one, keep in mind you are actually steering based on where the axels and wheels are donít get over focused on where the ends of the vehicles are, obviously you need to avoid hitting something, be careful of trailer ďtail swingĒ it can be important when making left and right turns when there are lanes of cars next to you, the cardinal rule is if in doubt donít panic stop and calm down before moving forward and damaging something, we have all been in a tough situation with some rude person honking and carrying on, some kind person will lend assistance!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
A variation to the hands at 6 O'clock method, is when looking at mirrors, steer towards the side that you want to correct. In other words, when looking in the mirror and you see one side moving too much laterally, steer towards that image and the trailer will move back the other way.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Hi, good luck - it takes a lot of practice. Since it is difficult for the spotter and driver to see and hear each other, we use our phones (driver on speaker phone in the truck) to communicate to one another when parking now - at least that helps with the hearing part! :-). Many parks have people who help you park and don't hesitate to ask another camper for help - you will find people are willing to help and you can get great tips that way. The first time my husband attempted to back in our 27ft. Airstream in an extremely tightly packed in campground (Labor Day weekend!) we had another camper step up and parked it for us (said he as been driving big rigs for years) - giving my husband great advice along the way. Hang in there you will be a pro in no time!
RhondaBartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
We're RV virgins and brought our 29' Airstream home last week. Initially we parked it in the street until we could get some branches cleared out over our driveway. Well, that got done today and so me and my wife had our first experience with backing up the trailer this evening. The driveway has a slope which means we have to be at an angle to get into the driveway without dragging the back end. To make a long story short, it took us over an hour but we successfully got it parked in the driveway. That may be slow but I was really proud that we were able to get it in there AND neither one of us got stressed or upset with the other one.
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Congratulations. Slow and steady gets your task done. Welcome to the we've done backing club! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I have attached a video that I think is very good for learning to backup your trailer. The one thing I do differently is place my hand at 6 o'clock. If you have zero experience the idea of a Uhaul for practice is a good one. Not only backing up but taking corners as well. Better to scrape their tires than the tires on your new Airstream.
We use "left" and "right" when communicating and usually have the walkie talkies out. We also keep the window open in case the talkies don't work or somebody sees something we don't.
You will be an expert before you know it!

https://youtu.be/p1B5d_K2__4
Old 10-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
No, you have to go do it. Video games just won't teach you to use mirrors to back a trailer. I agree with getting a two axle box trailer from U Haul to practice with. A two axle trailer is harder to back than a single.

I've been backing trailers since the 60s so not doing it seems odd. But I understand. Always use a spotter. If it is raining wait. We should have last weekend. It will repair for pennies.

If you are getting a Classic 30 it comes with a back up camera. The camera has sound. So you don't need the walkie talkies. But the driver can't yell "WHAT!!!" over the camera so the walkie talkies might be a good thing. Still our back up camera, in the rain, didn't show that stake with the telephone/cable network box on it. You still need a spotter.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote