Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Talking Newbie Question Re: Rivets

Phew that is a lot of typing - must keep my posts nice and short from now on!!!

Here is a newbie question -

What does 1 thru 5 "Rivet Member" mean??? and how do you go about obtaining this status?

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Look here and you will grok the rivet thing.

All you ever wanted to know about forum rivets
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Brett;

Think you might have to go with a 6'er if I stay on the board - especially if we land this deal - cause we will have a 1000+ questions or Help requests

Just was in touch with seller and still not sold yippee!!! - and he will be looking into our list of questions all to do with are systems working and gave him a specific inspection list to look at - based from this site and the VAC recommended inspection items - so the report should be interesting.

Will post later

SPK
Old 01-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think that when you give the seller "the list" you should be able to get a feel for him/her. I think if they are honest, they will realize the trip you are making to get the trailer and make every effort to make sure things are right for you.

Last spring we sold our (my - my wife thought it was too small) beloved Airstream Traveler. The folks who bought it came from Michigan and I made sure I told then exactly what they were getting. I also took the trailer 300 miles closer to them so as to make the trip a little easier for them.

They drove up to the parking lot walked around the trailer once, when inside for about 2 minutes and handed me the check - they fell in love with it that quick. I then spent the next hour showing them everything I knew about the trailer (they all need something!) and helped them pack for their trip back to Michigan.

So don't be afraid to ask lots of questions - listen carefully to their answers - even ask things twice to see if they give you the same answer - request that they drive it 100-300 miles to meet you (saves you 200-600 miles)...... Like I said you should get a very good sense as to whether they are shooting straight with you or not.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brett

Maybe this is old news, but did you get a new motorhome? Looks really cool - never have seen an Argosy that that before.

Ken J.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Lightbulb Getting the feel

Hi Ken;

We hear you! Very important. Peter and I are really honest people and have been burned in the past a few times - just too nice and trusting. But you sure do learn how to read people much better. Even in the way e-mails are answered.

I find if you share a bit of personal off topic information and the seller is willing to reciprocate it is a good sign that their is an honest streak there.

I also totally agree that if someone who asks lots of questions - even though they do not know the first thing about what they are buying - will give the seller the impression that they either know what they are doing or someone backing them does.

So far our seller has been really accommodating to our questions - our recent battery of questions and requests has the poor fellow borrowing some propane cylinders to check out the appliances (no propane tanks) (will be buying the shinny polished up ones once we get her home.) Hooking up hoses and the works. (will have to remember to empty everything and make sure it is winterized before we get to close to Canada brrrrrr would freeze and break in a second today!!!

We were thinking of asking re: meeting us a few miles so we could stay on a straight line from Orlando - but then we would really like to visit New Orleans if we have the chance! Even if it is while we wait for a service on the trailer brakes, axle, tire change etc. Hoping we can arrange for all this before we get there.

All too exciting - like Christmas all over again!!!

Peter just took the tour - and was tickled pink!!! Great Pictures posted.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Johansen
Brett

Maybe this is old news, but did you get a new motorhome? Looks really cool - never have seen an Argosy that that before.

Ken J.
Ken,

We did get a new one. It is a 78 Argosy with a rear bed. The picture that is my Avatar is actually one taken when we were broken down in Idaho. But it is such a nice photo (taken by my wife, I cannot take pictures worth a darn), that I had to use it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
GT - sounds to me that if the seller is willing to get some propane tanks - he's ok - again, my sense from what you are saying about the seller is he realizes - trying to help you be aware of what you are getting.

Got another idea - each Tues we have a chat at Airstreamschat.com (part of this site), please join us and don't be afraid to ask any question you have - its a great group and we love to talk about Airstream stuff - and other subjects that we digress to.

Brett - new motorhome looks GREAT! Its a cool looking rig.

Ken
Old 01-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I bought my Argosy from a private party in a more temperate climate. I took possession of it the first week of January. The previous owner's winterizing it for me amounted to no more than pouring RV antifreeze in the toilet and traps. It turns out he had no idea how to winterize it for truly cold weather. I had researched the nearest Airstream dealership and pulled the trailer there -- they squeezed me into the schedule and 24 hours later I was on my way. If you want to preserve the plumbing you might want to take some of the responsibility there -- and it is not a bad sign about the current owner if he doesn't know every detail you are pursuing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

All things are relative.

We just purchased our trailer sight UNseen on Ebay from a seller 400 miles away who didn't know anything about it, as it was left behind by the previous property owner.

Worst of all, I didn't know anything about airstreams, or about this sight.

The seller did have some pretty good pictures, and couln't believe anyone would be willing buy sight unseen, so he said he would be willing to let us out of the deal if it wasn't what we were expecting. It didn't have clear title, and the seller wanted all kinds of releases. Other than that, the seller wasn't willing to do much of anything. I hooked up in the dark, with the old tires, old bearing grease, no trailer brakes, and drove the 400 miles home.

So what is the point of all this besides us being insane? That this deal wouldn't break the bank.

I thought the price was ok, but the very best imaginable deal of all time might have saved us $800.00 The condition was a little better than average for its' age, seemed pretty original, and had not been messed with.

I buy and sell fixer-upper homes, so I am probably use to things that look bad, and just about everything I get is AS IS. So, as I said, it is all relative. If the budget is real tight, search, search, search. But if this is just for fun, its' probably like other investments, you probably will never buy at the bottom, nor sell at the top.

Bruce
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote