Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Guilford , Connecticut
Newbie looking for some advice

My wife and I are exploring the idea of an AS purchase. As a step to get a toe in the water, we are thinking about renting through Airstream2Go in Las Vegas this coming March. What suggestions or recommendations does anyone have about the time of the year, Airstream2Go, places to stop, etc. We have owned a number of live aboard boats so we are quite familiar with water systems, AC, black water, etc.
Thanks.
RBDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Definitely make sure you go to Grand Canyon NP.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Suggest you pick out 3 to 5 places to stay/visit, depending on how much time you have available. If you like nature head north into Utah up Rt 15 out of Vegas to Zion & Bryce Canyons, great camping areas & it will give you a true experience of life on the road. Within 150 mi radius the Vegas area itself has much to offer, boating on the Colorado River is available not far over the Arizona state line (rental boats), a day or two spent in Tombstone, Az is defiantly worth while. The whole Las Vegas area itself is full of adventures, just pick & choose. Two of our children live in Vegas, we RVed there many times. Enjoy!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may want to plan your trip ASAP because reservations are often necessary in the more popular parks, especially over the weekends.

Are you going to rent and tow a trailer or a motor home.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Newbie looking for some advice

Stay away from the SW in Jul-Aug-Sep unless you really like the heat. Mar-Apr should be fairly nice weather wise. May-Jun can be nice as well, depending.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:38 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Guilford , Connecticut
advice

Thanks. We plan to rent from Airstream2Go which provides a Yukon Denali tow vechicle and either a 23 ot 28 Signature. Hope to go with the 28 if available and spend a week during early March. This is a first step to compare AS with a self contained MH. Plan to try the MH in the fall.
RBDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBDavid View Post
Thanks. We plan to rent from Airstream2Go which provides a Yukon Denali tow vechicle and either a 23 ot 28 Signature. Hope to go with the 28 if available and spend a week during early March. This is a first step to compare AS with a self contained MH. Plan to try the MH in the fall.

If you have not towed a TT I suggest you insist on a detailed explanation of all concerned with the AS and tow vehicle and the workings of the AS. Not sure how this company does things. We did see a number of their units on the road this summer when we were in the west and the people using them when we talked were having a great time.

As to your thought process, we have had two AS, then a 37' Upper end MoHo and then in eight months back to an AS, which we now have and are very glad we were able to take the financial hit on OUR mistake on getting rid of our AS and buying a MoHo.

I'd go to lake Powell if you've not been there, March should be perfect weather. Then hit the canyons as mentioned by others on this thread.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
stay in vegas and act like a tourist! There are some great trailer parks there close to the strip
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBDavid View Post
My wife and I are exploring the idea of an AS purchase. As a step to get a toe in the water, we are thinking about renting through Airstream2Go in Las Vegas this coming March. What suggestions or recommendations does anyone have about the time of the year, Airstream2Go, places to stop, etc. We have owned a number of live aboard boats so we are quite familiar with water systems, AC, black water, etc.
Thanks.
Airstream 2go can plan a complete trip for you or you can do your on itinerary. They will even have it ready to go with food and explain how everything works before you hit the road.

They provide an iPad with your destination maps and stops if you choose.The owner used to be the President of Airstream
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Death Valley National Park is worth seeing. There is a campground but, as I've never stayed there, I can't give details. As others have mentioned, Grand Canyon would be well worth the trip too.

When backing up with the trailer attached, keep your hand at six o'clock on the steering wheel and back up slowly. Move the six o'clock hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go. Once the trailer starts backing in the direction you want, you can follow through with the tow vehicle. Have the rental folks show you this.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Lancaster , Texas
There is a BLM campground just outside of Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon Campground . The Mojave Dessert is wonderful in the early spring and winter. We throughly enjoyed Death Valley which has a large campground near the entrance and a parking lot CG with electricity, water, and showers deeper in the park.

Our 19' Bambi is our basecamp, and because of its length, it can fit almost anywhere . Enjoy!
mguinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Take your time (200 miles a day) Zion north are wonderful. Try boondoking.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Kdickinson had a great response, stay more local.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Death Valley is a good side trip. It is about a four hour tow from Vegas. Furnace Creek has full hookup sites as well as dry camping. A dump station with potable water is on site also. Wild flowers should be blooming. Be prepared for any kind of weather especially wind. Temps should be moderate in March. I usually go every November but will be there in March 2016 myself. Scottys Castle is closed indefinitely due to flood damage from a recent storm. There are day hikes, jeep trails, and scenic drives.
My second choice would be head to Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah.
Enjoy your trip! I have visited the places suggested in previous posts. You won't be disappointed which ever you ultimately choose....
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Airstream 2 go also rents out of Orange County, CA area. If you like the beach, I'd rent from them and stay coastal. Highway 1 is gorgeous. Make your way up to the Oregon Coast then stay at some of the beach front state parks. But start booking now.

If you want to sit and enjoy the beach without having to tow, there are several people who rent their Airstreams in the San Diego area. Just a thought.

Merry Christmas