Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Smile Newbie AS Bambi Owner!

Hello there!

My husband and I recently purchased our first Airstream TT. We bought a 2003 Bambi. We are so thrilled with it, and in just a couple of months we've already taken it to Ontario, Tennessee, Washington DC and Atlantic City!

The biggest surprise was all the little "stuff" we had to learn about the trailer, even though we were given a "tour" of our Bambi at the dealership. But they don't teach you how to level your TT in the rain, in the dark, on a rocky and uneven pad. Whew, have we learned a lot this first summer!

Well, I didn't mean to ramble, I just wanted to say "Hi!" to all of you and mention how tickled we are with our first AS. The Bambi is just perfect for the two of us (kids are grown). It cost a fortune but worth every dime. This baby will be around long after we're gone!

See you all later.

Cherie (Kentucky Girl)
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Welcome!

These people are great! .You can't go wrong being a member to these forums .any questions will be gladly answered and you will have lots of fun chating with everybody. you made the right choice with an airstream .Kudos to you.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:19 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Newbie AS Bambi Owner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Girl
But they don't teach you how to level your TT in the rain, in the dark, on a rocky and uneven pad
Hi Cherie. I am always impressed when I find a camground with perfectly level spots. We stayed up at Wagon Trail Campground up in Sister Bay Wisconsin this summer. Not only was every spot perfectly level, but they raked the fill material used for the pads after each unit departs. The rake grooves are all pointed the same direction. Very impressive when you pull up and it looks like no one has ever camped on your site. Sometimes its the little things like this that keeps people coming back.

Congratulations and have fun with your Bambi.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Cherie, congratulations on your new Bambi. Those things are too cool! As for levelling it in the rain-get a rain suit. After you get it all wet and muddy just take it off and you will be dry and clean. Make sure you have a couple of flash lights and spare batteries. I found that the plastic leveling blocks hold up better than wood when dealing with rain/mud/snow.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:09 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by gwsullivan
I found that the plastic leveling blocks hold up better than wood when dealing with rain/mud/snow.
Yea and the bugs don't burrow into them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-03-2002, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

Yea and the bugs don't burrow into them.

Jack
Not in pressure-treated wood either. But the mud does bury in the backside of the plastic ones, which sink in it deeper than a piece of wood does. I use some of both, depending on the situation... sometimes plastic on top of wood.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to spaceghost65
Re: Newbie AS Bambi Owner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Girl

It cost a fortune but worth every dime.
mine was free (but no where near as nice as yours is!)
Old 10-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

It's really rare for us not be set up by 4:00 pm, but a couple of times when it's been dark, I'll just pull in the space & hook up power & go inside for the night. Come out & hook up & level it up in the morning. Sounds like you got the right trailer for yourself. You should get a lot of years of great camping with that beautiful Airstream.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate all the nice comments about our Bambi. I'm sure we'll be in touch, since we have so much to learn. Unfortunately, our camping season is over for this year, and we've had Bambi winterized and ordered a good strong cover for her. A friend is letting us park it in his back yard where nobody will bother it, and where the can keep an eye on it. It doesn't hurt for an AS to spend the winter in the weather (if covered) does it?

Okay, so I'm an overprotective new mom!

Thanks again. I'll be in touch with more silly questions, you can be sure of that!

Cherie the Kentucky Girl
Old 10-09-2002, 07:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Congrats on your new Bambi. We have enjoyed ours immensely. Being in southern California, we expect our usage to be year round, so winterization is not an issue. But, I have read many times that a cover is not recommended as even the best can scratch the aluminum. I would appreciate any other information on this issue.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
AS cover

I have read numerous articles regarding covers for Airstreams. All of them recommend against covering your airstream. This is due to the rubbing that occurs on the trailer even when you have the cover snugdged down. It will eventually rub the coating off. Better to leave it naked, much better to find a garage or carport. Hope this helps.

Bob Caldwell
01 Bambi
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Smile Wow, good advice!

Thanks so much for the advice on the cover. I never would have thought about the rubbing off of the surface, but it sure makes sense. The cover we had ordered was back-ordered, so we quickly cancelled it, thanks to your good advice. We do have the new air conditioner cover, which we'll definitely use while it's sitting for the winter. A friend is letting us park our Bambi in his side yard for the winter. It will be somewhat exposed, but I guess that won't hurt until we can find an under roof situation for it later.

Our weather is starting to get cooler now, and our camping season is over. Oh well, we have exciting plans for our little camper next spring and summer. Now I have to concentrate on earning enough money to pay for it!

Thanks again for the great advice!

Cherie
Old 10-27-2002, 09:06 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Cherie,
You might want to pickup up some Walbernize Super Seal and give your Bambi a slick coat for the winter. Do this once or twice a year to keep it looking new. Its easy to do and won't take you long. I'm going to be doing my Safari before it goes into its inside winter home next week.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We are looking at a 1999 Bambi and after reading your posts I am getting more excited about it. This Bambi is 19' long so most of my questions concern that size.. If your is the 19' I am wondering about cooking in the trailer. There is limited counter space and a small sink. We will use it for week long camping, some boondocking as we get more adventurous (live in the SW with lots of BLM land). Any feedback will be great.
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Hi Cherie. I am always impressed when I find a camground with perfectly level spots. We stayed up at Wagon Trail Campground up in Sister Bay Wisconsin this summer. Not only was every spot perfectly level, but they raked the fill material used for the pads after each unit departs. The rake grooves are all pointed the same direction. Very impressive when you pull up and it looks like no one has ever camped on your site. Sometimes its the little things like this that keeps people coming back.

Congratulations and have fun with your Bambi.

Regards,

Jack
Jack, thanks for sharing your experience about Wagon Trail Campground! We drove through it while visiting Door County but never had the chance to stay there. They were closed for the season when we made a quick trip last October.

By the way, did you get a chance to go to Czarnuszka Soup Bar in Ephriam while in Door County? Best homemade soups around. We will have to try the Wagon Trail Campground this season.

-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
each time you setup and tear down, write down all the steps you do.
when you have free time, review the two lists. see if changing the order makes it faster/easier.

we did that over two years , now we are very fast at setup and tear down. Each user has unique experiences and capabilities. Do what works for you!

for leveling , we use a wireless Bluetooth device ( level mate). When we pull in and are still hooked up we level the AS Left to right with leveling blocks from the TV ( Tow Vehicle).
We then disconnect and level Front to back using the electric lift.
We then put block around the wheels so the As cant move and lower our level jacks.
last year we bought 6 supplemental jacks , thus do a FANTASTIC job on stabilizing the AS so that it does not shake.

cheers
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote